Ideas needed... Medium Sized Schooling Fish

+2
fishNAbowl
DMD123
6 posters

Go down

Ideas needed... Medium Sized Schooling Fish Empty Ideas needed... Medium Sized Schooling Fish

Post  DMD123 2013-12-27, 14:46

Here is the deal, I am thinking of some stock changes in my 210g and the fish that I have schooling are a pack of 7 large Red Hook Silver Dollars that are at least 6-7"+

They are very interesting to watch school around but they are very aggressive feeders. They are related to piranha after all  Rolling Eyes  , at least when it comes to feeding. I have been totally hosed down by these guys if I don't shut the lid fast enough! So I am thinking to sell off the pack and start with a smaller schooling fish that maybe only gets about 4" max and something a bit calmer at feeding. I am leaning towards Australian rainbows, epically the Boesemani with the beautiful blue/yellow or the Irian with the reds or maybe a mix of them. Who knows?

So I was looking for other suggestions on a good sized schooler for my tank. Any ideas are appreciated.

DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Ideas needed... Medium Sized Schooling Fish Empty Re: Ideas needed... Medium Sized Schooling Fish

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-27, 15:00

I've never seen Rainbow fish school together. They just swim around, but I have seen the Madagascar Rainbow skirt around together somewhat.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Ideas needed... Medium Sized Schooling Fish Empty Re: Ideas needed... Medium Sized Schooling Fish

Post  DMD123 2013-12-27, 15:09

I have six regular rainbows I got from Petsmart a while back and the seem like they school...
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-27, 15:21

Probably should mention I plan on keeping the pearsei who is a gentle giant but likes to eat so not too small of schoolers.  pig 

Possible plans for a bichir in the tank too....

How about a larger sized barb?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-12-27, 15:51

How about some of the beautiful larger tetras...

Bryconaethiops boulengeri ... gets larger as it says up to 10 inches in size
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Brycinus longipinnis - up to 5 inches in size
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-27, 15:57

The first one is bigger than I would like. The second would work but seems harder to find than just a Congo tetra which are pretty common.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2013-12-27, 16:03

You probably wont go there but I love the Tropheus..  Just a thought    Very Happy 

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-27, 16:18

Really not looking to add cichlids of any type. More toward a tetra/barb/rainbow that I can afford.

I like the roseline shark/Denison barb but way too expensive to get a nice school of those.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-12-27, 16:19

Atlantic herring?  Cool 
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2013-12-27, 16:24

DMD123 wrote:Really not looking to add cichlids of any type. More toward a tetra/barb/rainbow that I can afford.

I like the roseline shark/Denison barb but way too expensive to get a nice school of those.

Sleep Sleep Sleep   Razz 

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-27, 16:28

haha  Yeah I know boring. I just thinned down the cichlids to my one wet pet in the 210g. I also have my red isletas growing out in my 72g bow. That's it for cichlids for me. I think there is such a thing as too many cichlids.  affraid
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-27, 20:02

DMD123 wrote:Probably should mention I plan on keeping the pearsei who is a gentle giant but likes to eat so not too small of schoolers.  pig 

Possible plans for a bichir in the tank too....

How about a larger sized barb?

I had adult Congo Tetras with Poly's before . They get a fat 3" and are pretty fast to evade if need to be. The only issue I had was later from a 16" bull head catfish. I had 7 and they looked amazing! The Poly I had was a lazy hunter I think because I fed him pretty fat but he totally left the Congo's be.

I 1st picked them up while growing out predator fish just to fill the tank with something...Later I grew more interest when I realized they had a mouth and tiny razor teeth like mini Piranha or something .+ the colors and fins became pretty awesome as adult fish.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coreypolis 2013-12-27, 20:26

Giant danios. But you better have a lid

coreypolis
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down