Help my tank looks like "creep show"!

3 posters

Go down

Help my tank looks like "creep show"! Empty Help my tank looks like "creep show"!

Post  Livebearer 2013-12-13, 01:58

Hi all,
I need some input about a light I changed out from a 24" t-8, 8000k to a new 24" finnexRay 50/50 white-blue
(7000k/420nm) fixture. In the two weeks it's been running (on a timer) I am having a huge problem with
spagetti aglee! It all over my plants,, Anubias, vals, rotala, and the center piece log even groxing in the gravel! I grab a clumps of it from plants growing near the suface and it keeps coming up in strings and on and on I pulled out a string over 16" long!!!!  
I love this new light an are proud I won it for the door prize at the cartel. What should I do to combat this problem??? Thanks

Last edited by Livebearer on 2013-12-13, 01:59; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors)
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Help my tank looks like "creep show"! Empty Re: Help my tank looks like "creep show"!

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-12-13, 09:13

I'm having the same problem with my 33G long tank that has the Finnex Ray2 on it. I think its the amount of light these lights give off. We are going to raise the light and make it a hanging light (John's honey do for this weekend). And I wasn't aware of this but I bought some molly's from Petco and put them in the tank and those guys have gone to town on the algae. Yesterday the tank looked almost pristine compared to what it has been looking like. I have stopped all ferts for now and I did throw some snails in the tank too. So I'm hoping the "natural" controls will swing the balance in the tank and with a raising of the light I can make things work better. I love this tank and have gotten so many compliments on it. Even last night (we celebrated John's 70th and his retiring...and had a bunch of people over) people were oohing and ahhing over it...and the best part...as we are looking at it closely...baby mollies. LOL. Fish!!!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Help my tank looks like "creep show"! Empty Re: Help my tank looks like "creep show"!

Post  Livebearer 2013-12-13, 10:14

WOW!
How fun is that! John retiring, Happy 70th JOHN  cheers   baby molleys and all!!! It's something in that eastside air!!! Very Cool Cichlid gal.
I must come over to see your 33 long set-up and get some canal rocks and desert cacti as well!
I believe your issue is a result of new tank sydrom, phosphates. My tank is a 15 long that has been going for over 6 months now and was fine until I got all excited and put this high energy light on it! I believe it's a spectrum problem and have seen this before as I'm on well water at a p.h. of 8.2 @ 6d dkh. I have lowered it to 7.5p.h. I noticed this when I changed out sevrall bulbs of different k values over time. It seems the red/yellow wavelenth bulbs grow more algee than do the white/blue ones. I do not know the actual k value of this fixture and should do more research. Thanks for sharing your input!  santa

Last edited by Livebearer on 2013-12-13, 10:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-13, 16:32

It seems this is common when lighting is dramatically changed in tanks. This algae issue happened to me as well in my small tanks where I changed 100% of the lighting all at once. I had to do some adjustments with lighting times, lessen ferts (and injected CO2). In 2 tanks i raised the lights & planted more plants.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down