15 Gallon Column & 6 Gallon Rimless/Bowfront Nano (Shrimps and Snails!)

+2
MRTom
jettej
6 posters

Go down

15 Gallon Column & 6 Gallon Rimless/Bowfront Nano (Shrimps and Snails!) Empty 15 Gallon Column & 6 Gallon Rimless/Bowfront Nano (Shrimps and Snails!)

Post  jettej 2013-11-28, 16:02

Since I'm sticking with shrimps I just want to share what I have. All suggestions are very welcome!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

15 Gallon Column & 6 Gallon Rimless/Bowfront Nano (Shrimps and Snails!) Empty Re: 15 Gallon Column & 6 Gallon Rimless/Bowfront Nano (Shrimps and Snails!)

Post  Guest 2013-11-28, 16:46

I'd get rid of the snails b4 they go bersk on breeding.  Then its too late. Get stem plants to cover the back of the tanks and provide more cover for fry. Great job. Jet

Back to top Go down

15 Gallon Column & 6 Gallon Rimless/Bowfront Nano (Shrimps and Snails!) Empty Re: 15 Gallon Column & 6 Gallon Rimless/Bowfront Nano (Shrimps and Snails!)

Post  MRTom 2013-11-28, 16:56

That column is superb. How long has it been growing out? I think this should fill out very nicely. Here are two more ideas to scape it further. On the top, you could trim that java moss a lot shorter and re tie the trimmings, that way it will grow out thicker rather than stringy.

On the floor of the tank, if you can, I would replace the java moss with subwassertang. It gives shrimp a better hiding cover, and it won't overwhelm your tank as much. That would give the swords and crypts a chance to carpet the bottom. Then I would stop the water changes and let the plants feast on shrimp poo. What do you think?
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-11-28, 20:38

SiRWesDragon wrote:I'd get rid of the snails b4 they go bersk on breeding.  Then its too late. Get stem plants to cover the back of the tanks and provide more cover for fry. Great job. Jet
Wes Thank you! Yeah i got some Assassin snails but i'm thinking getting a few more cuz they're getting outnumbered. Stem plants like???
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-11-28, 20:46

MRTom wrote:That column is superb. How long has it been growing out? I think this should fill out very nicely. Here are two more ideas to scape it further. On the top, you could trim that java moss a lot shorter and re tie the trimmings, that way it will grow out thicker rather than stringy.

On the floor of the tank, if you can, I would replace the java moss with subwassertang. It gives shrimp a better hiding cover, and it won't overwhelm your tank as much. That would give the swords and crypts a chance to carpet the bottom. Then I would stop the water changes and let the plants feast on shrimp poo. What do you think?
Thanks MRTom. The column itseld is just almost 4 months old But just got rescaped last night. I know what you meant about the top of the wood. Those strings are left when i removed the whole java that use to be there. they are attached so. i hope they grow out soon Smile

actually there was some subswassertang on that bald spot before i took a pic. i added water and the stream moved it out its spot so i will add a few pics on this comment where i replaced the subs! Any suggestion growing out a subswassertang fast and how to carpet them??? Great ideas man. Thank you!

jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-11-28, 22:56

You'll need to attach the subwassertang to something - it won't root or stay down on its own. A stainless steel mesh might do the trick, if you're into that sort of thing.

I have a 10g full of the stuff and it all makes a bee-line for the surface whenever I do a water change. Shocked 

As far as the snails go, you won't have trouble if you're not over-feeding. Shrimp tanks don't need to be fed very much - twice a week works pretty well. And of course your assassins will definitely control them.

This is a shrimp-only tank?
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-11-28, 23:30

jettej wrote:Wes Thank you! Yeah I got some Assassin snails but i'm thinking getting a few more cuz they're getting outnumbered. Stem plants like???
Limnophila plants, Bacopa plants, Rotala plants, Nymphoides sp. ''Taiwan'', 
Vallisneria plants, and Ludwigia plants. 
Especially how lights are bright enough to reach the plants in that size tank.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-11-28, 23:42

Check this thread on low tech plants. 

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-11-29, 00:11

What plants is that in the front of the tank there?
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-11-29, 00:23

Chiisai wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I believe its subwassertang

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-11-29, 02:25

About the placement of the subwassertang... I like to keep it in areas of low water flow. If there is flow in the tank, you can use something to cloud up the tank and watch where the water flows. I like to use frozen daphnia: melt a cube (for a tank this small, use 1/4 cube?) in a cup and then pour slowly. The daphnia will float for a while and go along with the flow giving you an easy way to see where water is going. Any flow strong enough to move the subwasser will move the daphnia. Look for nooks and crannies where the water isn't moving a lot and shove the subwassertang in there. (I suspect that under that branch, where the java moss is clumped, would be a great place for it. Smile)

Subwassertang is a remarkably slow grower, and the only way I've found to accelerate it is in a fertilized tank with no other plants in it.

Yet another idea, for a shrimp tank, that 15 column is wasting a lot of vertical space. You could add another branch or two resting on top of the existing wood, to create more vertical climbing space for the shrimp Smile
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-11-29, 05:07

pbmax wrote:You'll need to attach the subwassertang to something - it won't root or stay down on its own.  A stainless steel mesh might do the trick, if you're into that sort of thing.

I have a 10g full of the stuff and it all makes a bee-line for the surface whenever I do a water change. Shocked 

As far as the snails go, you won't have trouble if you're not over-feeding.  Shrimp tanks don't need to be fed very much - twice a week works pretty well.  And of course your assassins will definitely control them.

This is a shrimp-only tank?
I'll do that stainless steel trick. True i think i over feed. I'm into breeding them so maybe a light feeding 2times every other day with variety of gigis wonderfood and tropical pelletsis okay?
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-11-29, 05:09

SiRWesDragon wrote:
jettej wrote:Wes Thank you! Yeah I got some Assassin snails but i'm thinking getting a few more cuz they're getting outnumbered. Stem plants like???
Limnophila plants, Bacopa plants, Rotala plants, Nymphoides sp. ''Taiwan'', 
Vallisneria plants, and Ludwigia plants. 
Especially how lights are bright enough to reach the plants in that size tank.
Okay i'll do some research. Well lemme know if u got some i could buy or trade
. Thank bro.
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-11-29, 05:12

Chiisai wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wes is right its a less healthy subwassertang. That's the conversation we are having on how to raise them right.
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-11-29, 05:24

MRTom wrote:About the placement of the subwassertang... I like to keep it in areas of low water flow. If there is flow in the tank, you can use something to cloud up the tank and watch where the water flows. I like to use frozen daphnia: melt a cube (for a tank this small, use 1/4 cube?) in a cup and then pour slowly. The daphnia will float for a while and go along with the flow giving you an easy way to see where water is going. Any flow strong enough to move the subwasser will move the daphnia. Look for nooks and crannies where the water isn't moving a lot and shove the subwassertang in there. (I suspect that under that branch, where the java moss is clumped, would be a great place for it. Smile)

Subwassertang is a remarkably slow grower, and the only way I've found to accelerate it is in a fertilized tank with no other plants in it.

Yet another idea, for a shrimp tank, that 15 column is wasting a lot of vertical space. You could add another branch or two resting on top of the existing wood, to create more vertical climbing space for the shrimp Smile
I had them grew out 1 time and just melted and ended up looking very ugly. Anyways i got a healthier bunch. I hope i get a good luck growing them

The manzanita branch woods are im fact very beautiful and EXPENSIVE as well. I 'll find one. Thanks MRTom
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-29, 08:00

Love both of your tanks jettej. Great work. And the column tank looks awesome. Your moss on the wood is stunning. How long has that been growing there?
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-11-29, 08:10

cichlid-gal wrote:Love both of your tanks jettej.  Great work.  And the column tank looks awesome.  Your moss on the wood is stunning.  How long has that been growing there?
Thank You! Well the tank is almost 4 months old. Honestly most of the java under the mopani wood on the left came from another tank and the bogwood on the right side also came with the other tank. They already used to look good on the old tank but sadly i gotta turn the tank down. I was really amazed how these moss grows out and just helps your tank to look better and helps the frys or shrimplets.
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-11-29, 11:42

jettej wrote:
I'll do that stainless steel trick. True i think i over feed. I'm into breeding them so maybe a light feeding 2times every other day with variety of gigis wonderfood and tropical pelletsis okay?
Shrimp will breed without adding food at all, subsisting on biofilm alone, though not as quickly as otherwise. I have a 3g I feed only once a week and they're still breeding. That said, every other day should work fine - I do that in my blue velvet tank. I was feeding every day, but phosphates were starting to build up and I was having algae issues. The tank is happier now. Cool 

I still have a number of stainless steel mesh pieces I got for riccia years ago. I should try using them with subwassertang too...
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-11-29, 13:47

Yup i overfeed my 6 gal before it built hair algae. It was a pain to remove!

So i think i will to go to a hardware store and buy a yrd of s. Steel mesh/screen. And just cut it in by size.
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-11-29, 15:00

jettej wrote:Yup i overfeed my 6 gal before it built hair algae. It was a pain to remove!

So i think i will to go to a hardware store and buy a yrd of s. Steel mesh/screen. And just cut it in by size.
Jettej go to McLendon hardware. They sell by the foot.

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-11-29, 18:49

Wow, that looks great! What do you have on that Mopani? Is that Marimo? I've been looking for a nice short moss-like covering for some wood, and I do like the look of whatever it is you have on there.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-11-29, 19:32

SiRWesDragon wrote:
jettej wrote:Yup i overfeed my 6 gal before it built hair algae. It was a pain to remove!

Jettej go to McLendon hardware. They sell by the foot.

Thank you! Will be on that when i get a chance.
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-11-29, 19:34

bronzefighter wrote:Wow, that looks great! What do you have on that Mopani? Is that Marimo? I've been looking for a nice short moss-like covering for some wood, and I do like the look of whatever it is you have on there.
Thank you! And yes its marimo balls! I used 2 large ones. Just tied it with fishing lines. Yup its one good way to cover a wood Smile
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down