+5
dwarfpike
Madness
fishNAbowl
PokeSephiroth
fishyladdy
9 posters

Go down

how to move safely with out losing any fish Empty how to move safely with out losing any fish

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-24, 19:48

so just like the title says im moving at the end of the month and i want to make sure my cichlids all make it safe and sound im only moving like 25 mins away but ive got 5 tanks going right now.. too 2 down just for the move.
i have a bunch of bags the ones the pet store use should i bag them in those or just use buckets?
thanks guys
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

how to move safely with out losing any fish Empty Re: how to move safely with out losing any fish

Post  Guest 2013-11-24, 20:00

Mom kicked you out cause all the tanks or move out to get bigger space to get more tanks?

Back to top Go down

how to move safely with out losing any fish Empty Re: how to move safely with out losing any fish

Post  Guest 2013-11-24, 20:01

Btw bag them up is best option.

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-24, 20:15

nope i disided it was time to get my own place so i can get more tanks lol
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-24, 20:36

Definitely bag them. It's less stress on the fish, as opposed to keeping them in buckets where the water will be sloshing around. . . . unless of course, your fish are super huge and can't comfortably fit in a bag, then yes...use a bucket, and then cover the bucket with a towel, to prevent any splashing. Very Happy

Good luck with your move! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-11-24, 20:39

fishyladdy wrote:nope i disided it was time to get my own place so i can get more tanks lol
I knew it lol. More tanks . Good luck Brianna.

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-24, 21:01

I used both! Bags & buckets. Picked up like 8 buckets, 5 was filled full of substrate, 3 full of woods & fish, and a few bags full fish as well. I had 0 casualties using buckets, the fish where in there about 4-5 hours without heaters or filters.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-11-24, 22:33

I have relocated hundreds of fish at a time before. Buckets are the only way to go. Your not moving far enough away to be so concerned with splashing, plus it gives you the option of using a heater or airstone once you get to the new place and while you are setting up the tanks. It will be less stressful.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-11-24, 22:34

Such a short distance, I prefer buckets.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-24, 23:28

just don't drive like a crazy person!!
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-11-25, 00:21

I prefer buckets all of the time whether it be a short move or long. I have moved my fish numerous times(to college, from apartment to apartment at college, back to apartment on this side of the mountains to two different rentals to my final house, the one I own, ) like madness said buckets offer many benefits and if you're worried about sloshing because of Jeff Gordon style driving, get a lid or use press and seal..... Problem solved. Good luck with the move.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-25, 04:02

Thanks guys! Ill probably use both Smile
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  tayntdawg 2013-11-25, 04:31

Well like madness yes buckets but I found out this last time I moved I need to bring water with me to help in the set up part and what I did was use rubber maid totes with a lid and filled them with water and all my fish from one tank and before I did this I put in a 50gallon trash bag and when I had everyone in I tied the bag in a knot so I didn't have to worrie any about spills and you could put the tote in the back or the truck or back seat and fill it then add the fish. It worked perfectly. In this move I moved 400g of water and atleast 150 fish and didn't lose one and I did it in 3 and a half hours and it was one trip and that was from the time I broke them down to the time I set them back up. I also had a air pump and heater in the car just in case. So if you need to pick my brain please feel free to call or text. 425-891-8471. And I might even be able to come help just depends on what day you move.
tayntdawg
tayntdawg

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-25, 17:23

thanks alot ill text u later today. my issue is that i have to move my 55 gallon and i own a celica so im not sure how im gonna move it with a 2 door car lol
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 18:05

fishyladdy: Awesome! Another Celica driver! That makes three of us now! Very Happy(You, me and Cory, own Celicas! WOOO!!!)

And yes, I totally feel you with moving a 55 gallon and having to stuff it inside a celica. LOL... It's possible, you just have to put down the back seats, and the tank will fit through the back. Just be careful when you put down the trunk door, I was able to fit two 55 gallon acrylic tanks, side by side in my celica, but as I was about to close the trunk door, one of the tanks was sticking out, just enough to where it was touching the glass window on my trunk. So I had to scoot the tank a little forward a bit more. Hahahaha!!

Now, you need to head down to the store, so that we can take a picture of all three Celicas parked together! Very Happy come on doooo eeeet!!! =P
(Mine is the grey one, Cory's is the red one.)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

...although, can you imagine, trying to fit a tank in this Lotus Elise?! Oh man. LOL
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-11-25, 18:26

One more option is coolers.  I have moved many fish in coolers.  I moved fish from Nevada to New Mexico to Utah to Colorado... all over the country using coolers.  I even took some fish on an airplane in a cooler under the seat -- years ago.

Remember to keep all of your filter media wet and it's not a bad idea to fast the fish a day or two before the move to reduce the amount of waste they will produce while in the buckets/bags/coolers in case they are in there longer than you anticipated.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-25, 18:50

my celica is an older one i still need to pimp it out and make it sexy lol
but i plan on taking an adventure down there soon.
thats a good idea betty never thought bout that
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 18:53

You could totally get a bunch of pimp points, by simply adding an Aquarium Co-Op bumper sticker on yours! Very Happy should add like +13 Street Cred, at least. HEHEHE!! =P

Kidding aside, yeah the cooler idea sounds great!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-25, 23:51

lol ill keep that in mind :p
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down