sandnuka
Aquarium Co-Op
Anthraxx
jenreuter
DMD123
aquaman95
11 posters

Go down

Any tips on how to move with fish? Empty Any tips on how to move with fish?

Post  Guest 2012-04-02, 19:51

We are going to be moving back to the west side in about 2 months when my hubby graduates. We have been talking a lot about what to do with the fishies.. sell them or keep them. Mostly we want to keep them. So, I have read just empty as much tank water as possible into a 5 gallon bucket and put all the fish in it.. then get a separet bucket with tank water for accessories and plants. Then empty the tank as much as possible... pack it all up and go from there. The tanks will be the last things we pack up... and then it will be at least a 2 hour drive to wherever we end up, plus then time to get the tank put together. Has anyone done this? Or have a better method?

Back to top Go down

Any tips on how to move with fish? Empty Re: Any tips on how to move with fish?

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-02, 20:04

put fish in seperate buckets if large fish a 5 gal works fine.if the fish in your signature is all you have then it will be 3 buckets 1 for fish 1 plants/ect 1 for extra water you will be fine but bring as much old water with you because two different parts of town is gonna be 2 different water parameters so they will need to slowly adjust drain the tanks and fillem at the new house you should be able to do all this in a small car too.
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-04-02, 21:17

You still have time to prepare which is good. You might consider a battery operated pump like this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jenreuter 2012-04-02, 21:27

I moved across the country with my fish. I had to move from St. Louis, MO to Olympia and I was so attached to my cichlids that I decided to bring them with. It was a 2 day trip and all 19 my cichlids survived. I used 5 gallon buckets. But make sure you get the sealing lids that prevent water from leaking, because the regular lids will cause a mess in your vehicle. I made two small holes in the top of the lid. One for oxygen input and the other to let air back out. You can get battery opperated air pumps. The key to keeping you fish alive is plenty of oxygen and trying to reduce stress as much as possible. To reduce the stress, I put some gravel from the tank in the buckets and a decoration as well to mimick their tank. The lids will cause it to be dark, which will also help to reduce stress. I didn't feed my fish for two days prior to the move, to reduce waste and ammonia. Since you only have 2 hours to go I'm not sure you have to prepare as much as I did, but this is how we made it across the country. Hope it helps!
jenreuter
jenreuter
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2012-04-03, 01:46

i moved the fish first. if your moving in stages that is. that way the rest of the move is a breeze. i find it easier to get that big hassle out of the way.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-04-03, 01:50

Unfortunately we might not know where we are going until like a week or two before, so not really going to be staged lol. But we for sure will look into the battery air pumps. And thanks for all the tips about bringing a ton of the tank water! I really hope this works out well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2012-04-03, 03:03

With the tanks listed in your signature. Just drain them down to 1/3 water and load them up in the car. Grab a battery powered airpump with a gang valve and put an airstone in each. Drive to new place. Place tanks where they go, Fill them back up with water.

I've always done this for 55 gallons and under. 75g and larger, the gravel/remaining water is too much for 2 people to handle safely.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-04, 22:41

I like corys idea.... I always have just put my fish in 5gal buckets, fish belong to one tank go in one bucket.... put an air pump in it until there new home is ready... try never to make it last longer than 24hrs. my fish are always the last thing I move, and I move them usually within 6 - 12 hours.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2012-04-05, 13:42

Some good tips, in this thread.

Try moving a 24" Silver Arowana....by yourself.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthebloody 2012-04-05, 16:13

Protocl, are u gonna web cast on Justin.tv again?
whatthebloody
whatthebloody

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2012-04-05, 16:48

whatthebloody wrote:Protocl, are u gonna web cast on Justin.tv again?

I should have, lol.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthebloody 2012-04-05, 20:42

it would be a good way to show people ur tank
whatthebloody
whatthebloody

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-05-22, 14:08

We picked up a few 5 gallon buckets this week since we are getting close to moving. I am super nervous about it. I really dont want to lose any fish! Should I fill one bucket completely with water, no fish or decorations or anything, just to refill the tanks? We plan on mostly emptying the tanks, and putting the fish from each tank in a bucket of their tank water. Will on extra bucket of water be enough of the old water?

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-05-22, 14:38

The BB isn't really in the water, keep the substrate/decor/filter media wet so when you do set the tank back up it doesn't cycle. Refilling the tanks with all new de-chlorinated water will be just fine. Usually when I move tanks I empty most of the water out, only leaving in enough to cover the substrate and plant.

Tanks are awkward to move so any live critters are always moved to a bucket.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-05-23, 12:47

I'm with Cory; you should be able to move most tanks 20g or smaller with 1/3 or 1/4 of the water in them without too much trouble - just don't bump them into anything while moving. Smile That'll mean less stress for the fish for sure and no re-cycling worries. It's highly unlikely you'll lose any on a trip of that length.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2012-07-01, 00:38

Please let us know how your move went! Safe travels to you and your fish Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-07-01, 01:34

I think it went well! We did have one casualty, though I am not sure if it was the move or what. Our itty bitty pleco was found dead about two days later. And sorry I should have posted this a while ago, but I have been on the much dreaded job hunt. We ended up taking buckets of water with us but leaving the fish with about 1/3 of the water in the tanks, then refilling them with the buckets simply because it was easier to get a really close temperature match that way. Since our really deformed and barely able to swim glo light made it I really wonder if there was something else going on with the pleco. Who knows. But thanks for asking.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down