Aqueon 55 Filter mod

5 posters

Go down

Aqueon 55 Filter mod  Empty Aqueon 55 Filter mod

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-10, 12:24

First....if you take one apart to see if the impeller is clogged the little thing on the end of it gets stuffed back in the "cap" not on the end of the impeller...Did the opposite and thought I'd suddenly broken my filter >.< (which results in much frustratedness and replacing with another filter until you have time to fix it)

2nd What do you guys think would happen to the flow if I cut/broke out the divider thing? Originally it helped hold the cartridge things it comes with in place but I'm wondering if I would get better flow(and therefore more bacteria) to the other half of the filter if I cut it out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

excuse the food particles was trying to see if I could get an idea of the flow myself >>
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Aqueon 55 Filter mod  Empty Re: Aqueon 55 Filter mod

Post  bronzefighter 2013-11-10, 22:30

I think that little divider helps keep the filter rigid and prevents it from 'bowing' in the rear. It's been so long since I've used an Aqueon Filter though. The best mod I made was grabbing an AquaClear lol! 

Anyways, the worst you could do it cut it and see what happens, right?
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-10, 22:35

maybe you could cut it and if it doesn't work you could put a sponge or other filter media in it.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-10, 23:47

Bronzefigher: LOL you would think but its only connected a little bit on the sides at the bottom o.o pfft it came with the tank Razz and is going an OK job considering I think an ick treatment messed with the bb. That and its pretty well stuffed with media Very Happy filter floss biorings and a random bath sponge thing.
That's true. Razz and if it is wrong I can silicone it back in place I suppose.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-11-11, 12:39

Glad to see another Aqueon user here... haters gon hate.

I use aqueons as well, and I don't really see a downside to taking out the divider if you don't use the blue "holster" thing anymore. On my smaller ones, at least, it's not really part of the structure, but it could be different on the 55. I think my biggest is a 30, and I still use the blue thing but just use generic filter floss instead of the ridiculous carbon-filled replacement cartridges.

I don't know if it would really improve flow that much, but you could try drilling a bunch of little holes in the divider instead of removing it. Then put sponge or whatever on the other side, and you should get some extra flow through it.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-11-11, 19:05

LuminousAphid wrote:Glad to see another Aqueon user here... haters gon hate.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm not an AC fanboy or anything, and if Aqueon is what keeps your tank clean and you happy, then by all means keep using the Aqueons! cheers 
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-11, 21:05

Nope. Almost completely disconnected except almost as a stabilizer on the bottom inch or  so. The blue holster thingy was in the way when I tried to cram other media in there. it looked so EMPTY. Mostly I'm wondering is if it's impeding flow to the side that doesn't have the pump on it because that is where most of my official bio-media is sitting. Mostly because of all the filter floss sitting on the other side doesn't leave enough room lol .....you should see the mess that made when I realized it might be full of gunk oops lol

the drilling is an interesting alternative XD maybe I can do my next filter service when the hubby is home and get him to do it for me (our drill sucks butt and I'm not strong enough to force it)

In all honestly I end up using whatever filter came with the tank I got lol either the kit ones or they threw it in when I bought the tank.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-11, 22:02

I see by the picture your HOB is sitting in a sink or something? Its probably hooked back up by now but as it was siting there to bad you couldn't have ran it in a sink full of water & watched how the filter worked, meaning how water flowed through. Perhaps  at that time determined if it was logical to do any cutting...

I know with the Aquaclear70 I have , the water is channeled from the bottom of the box, water then is sort of forced up through the media then out over the spout where water returns to the tank.
Your model looks like the water may run from one side to the other (L to R, or vice versa). If this is the case then you may not want to remove that piece because it may hold back the media from cramming to one side restricting flow. It also probably helps direct water flow a certain way through media...

I do have to say I have never had this particular model HOB but have tinkered with others. The information I provided is stuff to just think about Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-11, 22:56

Yeah it was in the sink while I tried to figure out how to put it back together properly...oops. I did run a sink full of water and tried to figure out the flow but that mostly resulted in rice/oatmeal on the bottom of the first compartment thing. Kinda looks like it smashes into the bottom, then diverts to either side of the divider thing but not sure where it went from there (either over the edge or partially through the other chamber) cause all my floaty material had been smashed into the catcher of doom.
it may or may not direct water flow 0.o thanks for the input XD
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down