2 months after starting up the tank ^_^

3 posters

Go down

2 months after starting up the tank ^_^ Empty 2 months after starting up the tank ^_^

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-10-29, 15:16

Been about 2 months now since my first tank was fully cycled and started to have fish inside, the algae difference on the rocks is quite dramatic. Hoping that it'll turn green soon ^_^ As for the fish themselves (6 juv Ps. Saulosi), most likely 4 are males and I'm hoping the last 2 are at least female Sad 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

2 months after starting up the tank ^_^ Empty Re: 2 months after starting up the tank ^_^

Post  Betty 2013-10-30, 11:32

They are growing fast and the tank is looking good.  I hope you have more females than you think!

When I used to raise saulosi, the broods were always heavily male.  I have six juvies growing out right now and am really hoping for females.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

2 months after starting up the tank ^_^ Empty Re: 2 months after starting up the tank ^_^

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-11-01, 20:58

Thanks Betty, but also I was wondering if chlorine from my tap water will have bad effects on the algae. I need to do a 90% PWC, but unsure how to do so without dismantling my rockscape =\
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-11-01, 21:07

Just curious, why a 90% water change?

When I do big water changes, I don't worry about the rock scape... I just remove less water when I reach the rock scape to allow space for the fish to hide. Also, I haven't seen any negative effect from chlorine when replacing with tap water. I do use a dechlorinator/buffer after the change tho. As a matter of fact, I think algae is one of the hardiest plants in my tank... otherwise it wouldn't be such a chore to get rid of!

BTW, love that mossy look!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-11-01, 22:32

Thanks, and yeah I used a de-chlorinator as well. I'm doing a 90% PWC due to my wife trying to feed them and dumped a little too much in there, so the nitrates are probably too high (checking tomorrow).
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-11-02, 01:42

I wouldn't remove the rockwork.  As long as you leave a few inches of water they should be okay. Or you could do two back to back water changes of a smaller percentage -- change 50%, refill and change another 50% or more if you want to replace 90% without taking the level too low at once.  Use your hand to push water around and between the rocks to move any uneaten food or poop out in the open so you can vacuum it out.

I refill with a Python water changer and add dechlorinator as I'm starting to refill and then a little more about halfway through. My algae never dies.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-11-02, 23:55

Thanks for the advice Betty!
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down