How long should I keep cucumber in tank?

+3
CrazedAce
KaraWolf
SonicsDC25
7 posters

Go down

How long should I keep cucumber in tank? Empty How long should I keep cucumber in tank?

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-10-05, 17:19

I want to give my mbuna some cucumber, but I was wondering how big of a piece should I give them and how long should I keep it in the tank? There are 6 juv Ps. Saulosi Smile
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

How long should I keep cucumber in tank? Empty Re: How long should I keep cucumber in tank?

Post  KaraWolf 2013-10-05, 18:36

I feed much smaller fish -otos and a red tailed shark, but usually half a normal sized slice boiled until soft and honestly? leave it in as long as i can see it and it doesn't start falling apart. It's usually gone in a few days. Though most people recommend only leaving it for like 2 hours but my fish don't usually even find it by 3 hours
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

How long should I keep cucumber in tank? Empty Re: How long should I keep cucumber in tank?

Post  CrazedAce 2013-10-05, 23:01

I don't blanch my cukes when I throw them in my tank, and its usually a 1" slice. I leave it in for a few days until the skin starts falling off. It gets messy once that happens.

If you cooked it with your food and its seasoned, I would probably leave it in for only a few hours.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-10-05, 23:20

I freeze mine, once its thawed ill throw a slice in and leave it until it starts to fall apart.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-10-06, 00:53

I tried putting it in and 1 of the juvs pretty much claimed it as its owns and is chasing all other juvs away if they get near it Sad
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-10-06, 01:18

haha!! welcome to the joys of owning cichlids!!
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-10-06, 03:49

I read some people cut the skin off and take seeds out of the cucumber. I left both on, is it ok?
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-10-06, 05:51

I don't peal or seed it. Just cut a peice off and toss it in there lol
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2013-10-06, 05:54

Same here, straight from the freezer into the tank.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-10-06, 11:19

I feed my mbuna fresh veggies and I remove the seeds because they don't eat them and they end up floating around the tank or getting caught in the filter strainer.  I leave it in for the day.  Too much longer and it becomes a waterlogged slimy mess Mad Mad ... in my experience.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-10-07, 13:33

I'll make sure to cut the seeds out of the cucumbers next time, they seemed to have enjoyed it when I woke up the following morning and removed it ^_^ I also put a 2nd one in there, so the others could get some of the snack Razz Pic is a little bit blurry (and room reflection O_O) since I had to stand from afar, they're not too used to me putting my arm in the tank to place the veggies in there, so they're still a bit spooked if I get near the tank during the first hour or so Razz

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-10-07, 15:01

Beautiful tank! Fishies go OMNOMNOM eat your veggies for you! They sink if you blanch them but then you wouldn't have nice stick handles to pull them out with, but it might avoid the initial arm dunking and resulting spooked fish. XP
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-10-08, 00:11

Thanks Kara, I'll try blanching them next time ^_^
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-10-08, 02:07

No problem and good luck!!! As soon as they sink in the water your boiling in they're good to go, though I cool them off before putting them in the tank.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-10-08, 14:10

Yep I'll try it tonight since my weekly WC is due tomorrow evening ^_^
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down