Why are my fish shy all of a sudden =\

4 posters

Go down

Why are my fish shy all of a sudden =\ Empty Why are my fish shy all of a sudden =

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-10-02, 02:07

Two days ago I tried to give my Ps. Saulosi juvs some boiled cabbage. I held a small piece at the top of the water with my fingers and they were spooked by it. I held it there for about 3-4 minutes, but they never approached it. Now, in the past I would raise the lid (which has the light attached) to put flakes in and poke them to make them submerge. They would race towards the flakes and even nip at my finger. Now after the cabbage incident, they all hide when I even attempt to raise the lid at any time (whether it's to feed them or not). Is this a common thing and if so, will they gradually return to their normal selves?

Thanks
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Why are my fish shy all of a sudden =\ Empty Re: Why are my fish shy all of a sudden =\

Post  DMD123 2013-10-02, 02:11

If the cabbage was a first time thing, it may just have spooked them because it was something new. But if the behavior continues I would check your water parameters. My fish went through a similar thing recently and I found my PH had taken a dive. As soon as I started the water changes and the PH came back up they were acting like their normal selves again.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Why are my fish shy all of a sudden =\ Empty Re: Why are my fish shy all of a sudden =\

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-02, 02:12

I do the same thing when someone tries to foist cabbage off on me on St. Patty's Day!!! vomit 

Was it the first time you tried to feed a leaf veggie? Just something new has spooked my fish before.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-10-02, 02:17

Thanks for the super quick replies! The water parameters are good, I just finished a PWC today. And yeah this is the first time I've introduce a new type of food for them, hopefully they'll be more comfortable soon.
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-10-02, 02:19

Probably just the new experience was a bit much for them, or they were protesting the cabbage.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-10-02, 02:24

I wanted to put a piece of cucumber in there for them to nibble on, but after this I seem somewhat hesitant lol o_O
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-10-02, 02:38

Give them a couple days. My Big male Festae got spooked really bad last week and today was the first day that he looked comfortable again. Give them time, they will come around.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down