Livebearer
hobbyorobsession
cichlid-gal
Betty
8 posters

Go down

Anubias care question Empty Anubias care question

Post  Betty 2013-09-30, 13:04

Is it a good idea to trim the roots back on anubias or is it better to let them grow undisturbed? Plants usually die in my care, but I  have some anubias that are actually growing now. Very Happy   The roots are getting really long and thick and unsightly.  One of them is wedged between some rocks and a few of the roots are attached to the rocks although most are not, another has attached itself to the aquarium glass.  I'd like to trim them back some, but don't want to do anything to kill the plants!
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Anubias care question Empty Re: Anubias care question

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-30, 15:23

I have never trimmed my roots on these but would guess that so long as you don't trim say more than 1/4 to 1/3rd it would probably be ok.  Maybe try one plant...trim by 1/4 and see what it does.  Try another at 1/3rd.  Compare the two...if both are still ok after a bit then do the rest.

OH and congrats on the growing of them. I really like them in my tanks.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-30, 15:39

You can trim the roots no problem.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-30, 15:39

You can trim the roots no problem.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-09-30, 16:31

Okay, thanks to you both.  

Donna, I like them in my tanks too, but in most of them they don't do so well.  

I have this one that is growing well in my leopard frog pleco tank.  Not only are the roots getting long, but they are very thick and matted and they are pushing the plant up. It's doesn't look very nice, but at least it's still alive.  I'd really like to thin the roots as well as clipping some back.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-30, 16:40

That looks nice and healthy! Love it!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Livebearer 2013-09-30, 19:35

Anubius like a moderate p.h. and can be completely buthched back (roots & leaves/stems) to the main stem. Try one and give it moderate light and in a month or so watch it become a beautiful plant with fresh growth. Tye it to a porus rock or log to give it areason to grow rapidly as these plants are a type of epityde (live on other sufaces to grow). They will grow emersed as well with high humidty like in a terrarium enviroment. They are a hard one to kill!
Livebearer
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-30, 21:28

cichlid-gal wrote:That looks nice and healthy!  Love it!
Plus One 
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-01, 13:58

Wow, those are some happy roots, I haven't seen that type of root growth on my anubias. Are they A. barteri or one of the smaller variants? it's hard to tell in close-ups, and even side-by-side Ihave a hard time telling the difference sometimes
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-10-01, 15:23

Livebearer wrote:They are a hard one to kill!
Sounds like the perfect plant for me to try!

DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-10-01, 15:46

DMD123 wrote:
Livebearer wrote:They are a hard one to kill!
Sounds like the perfect plant for me to try!
If I can keep them alive, anyone can! I'm knocking on wood because they usually won't grow for me.

I think the plant and its roots look like a mess, but I'm happy to hear the roots look healthy. Smile 

LuminousAphid, I have no idea what variant it is. It's the plant on the left.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-01, 19:55

Looks like the size of an A. barteri, var. nana and especially nana petite should stay smaller than that I think... I think it looks nice where you have it, I don't know why you feel the need to trim the roots. It looks happier than my anubias, and I don't think you have to worry about it dying now if it's established in your tank. The only one I have had which didn't do well was actually a cutting off another which I cut too small.

If you don't usually have luck with plants, you should try some floating plants like water lettuce or duckweed. You will eventually regret getting duckweed anywhere near your tank when you can't get rid of it, but it's a great plant to suck up excess nitrogenous waste and keep your water nice and clean. Floating plants can also do a good job of regulating light levels, so if you have plants that like less light (like those crypts might) they can help.

One issue might be the shape of your tank, is it a 20 high? I have a 20 high, and I don't think it's the greatest shape for growing plants because of the height. Light is a lot more intense at the top and dim near the bottom because it has so much distance to cover. If you are interested in getting into plants, you might try a shorter shape like 20 long or 40 breeder--this is what I'm getting next.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-10-02, 01:40

I was thinking about trimming the roots because they are so thick and long and are pushing the plant up.  The top leaves are about to touch the tank top.  I've repositioned it a little to keep that from happening for now.  Plus I just don't like the look, but if it's better for the plant, I'll just leave it alone. Spot On 

Yes it is a 20 high.  It's one of very few of my tanks that I don't have African cichlids in so it's really my only option for having a chance to keep any plants. Those crypts also surprised me by surviving and sending up some new shoots. I have a little experience with frogbit -- it lasted one night in the tank before it was completely devoured and I have had duckweed survive in my pleco tank.  You're right -- I do regret ever getting it in my tank! I occasionally scoop it out and let my mbuna eat it, but it reproduces very quickly. I haven't tried any water lettuce.

Thanks for the info. Very Happy 
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-10-02, 14:02

Nice roots!! now that is a healthy Anubias. My Anubias was planted in the substrate and when I pulled it up to plant it in my 40gal it had a huge root system, I trimmed them and it is doing just fine.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down