betta care

4 posters

Go down

betta care Empty betta care

Post  fishkid 2011-10-02, 13:01

i just got a new betta, i know the basics of their care from the internet, but i want to know how to keep it in better then average condition Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

fishkid
Fry

Back to top Go down

betta care Empty Re: betta care

Post  Guest 2011-10-02, 13:20

All I can say is water changes, filtration, varied diet, and a tank, not cup or small bowl. My mother had a betta live 4 years before she gave it to my little brother who killed it in a few weeks. It lived a long and happy life in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a small in tank filter, some gravel and small fake plant. I don't have the same "pasion" for bettas as my mother did, but basic aquarium principles that are put to practice will give you a happy and healthy long lived betta. Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-10-02, 15:55

fish_n_vw wrote:All I can say is water changes, filtration, varied diet, and a tank, not cup or small bowl.

Plus One

Get a small 2-3 gallon tank, have filtration in it. Also a small heater helps if your house is cold, keeps them more active.

I keep mine in a little 2.5g tank with a Azoo palm filter (HOB) and a Hydor heater. Little guy has plenty of room and is active and happy.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2011-10-02, 16:05

+1 for what both of them sadi

2...better at 3 gallons, small heater though some small tanks the light keeps them warm enough.

they enjoy plants...soft silk ones not hard plastic...not allot of water movement but good filtration.

feed sparingly a little a day or every other day....30% water changes weekly and you will have a very happy long lived betta ^_^
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishkid 2011-10-02, 20:26

what about a 5g with filter Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

fishkid
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  mrsashleyodell 2011-10-02, 23:27

A 5 gallon is fine. The people above were simply saying you needed at least a 2 gallon tank. Of course, bigger tends to be better. Just remember to only keep one per tank unless you do females, and even then you have to be cautious.
mrsashleyodell
mrsashleyodell
FishBox Regular

http://www.mrsashleyodell.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-10-03, 00:35

A 5g set up would be a great choice.

I dont know if its just mine or they are all the same but I do have a piece of decor that my betta rests on and hides in when he feels scared. Not that I would call him territorial but he really uses the thing as his "house". So make sure to provide some cover or places for him to hide.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishkid 2011-10-03, 09:45

could i keep some females with him if i have a ton of plants Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

fishkid
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishkid 2011-10-03, 09:49

i put the food in the filter and let it spray it out , he thinks its live, is that okay, and are "betta bugs" safe and healthy for him Question need to know before i buy them Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

fishkid
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-10-03, 12:46

Here is some info about "betta bugs" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just a wingless fruit fly, no issue feeding them. But I would not make this the main food source. Use a high quality pellet as a main staple to ensure you fish gets all its needed vitamins and minerals. Products like these are best kept as "treats".
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishkid 2011-10-04, 10:01

thanks Very Happy will anybody answer the question about the females Question Exclamation Question Exclamation

fishkid
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2011-10-04, 16:35

no you cannot keep male and females together

the male will kill the female...or if you have a really mean female she will shred his fins and beat him to crap...aether way it will not work unless you had a much bigger tank..like a 40 gallon.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishkid 2011-10-04, 22:08

you sure Question

fishkid
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2011-10-04, 22:32

....yes do some research it does not work, he will kill her..or she will kill him unless you are breeding them.

i have bred them and have seen what two can do to each other when not properly ready to breed.

I have tried to keep them in tanks together ..no go.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishkid 2011-10-04, 23:06

dang i will have to put him into another tank, any other fish for a nano Asian tank Question don't want any river fish only slow stream and pond fish Question

fishkid
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down