Is Mexican Pot Rock usable for African cichlids?

4 posters

Go down

Is Mexican Pot Rock usable for African cichlids? Empty Is Mexican Pot Rock usable for African cichlids?

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2013-09-29, 18:15

I have heard of pot rock being used as a base in salt tanks. Is it safe in an ph 8.1 cichlid tank? I have always used slates and pumice stone.

thanx

old hobbyist, new to africans

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Is Mexican Pot Rock usable for African cichlids? Empty Re: Is Mexican Pot Rock usable for African cichlids?

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-09-29, 18:22

I've seen a couple of people used those pots before in the pass. It's fine but the only thing I would worry about is, when they are being chase/irritation and run into the pots it might cause damage.
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Is Mexican Pot Rock usable for African cichlids? Empty Re: Is Mexican Pot Rock usable for African cichlids?

Post  Anthraxx 2013-09-29, 18:45

if you were using pumice stone without any real issues id say you could use it. its a little rougher then most so that may be an issue (but all my fish are used to lace rock) so you may be alright. ive had issues introducing new fish to these types of rocks as they like to flash and itch on them which in turn tears them up. sooner or later they seem to learn not to mess with em tho. anyways GL to ya.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2013-09-30, 02:37

So it sin't so much that the rock will mess with the PH as much as it has too many sharp edges for such rambunctious fish as African Cichlids.

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2013-09-30, 10:05

hyp3rcrav3 wrote:So it sin't so much that the rock will mess with the PH as much as it has too many sharp edges for such rambunctious fish as African Cichlids.
Yep. I keep Frontosa and they can be real skittish when people walk by the tank. I have a load of THR in my tank and sometimes a fish will run into it. But like stated above, they learn pretty quick.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down