Madness
CrazedAce
bassetman
DMD123
cichlid-gal
fishyladdy
10 posters

Go down

just ordered some Pundamilia Nyererei (Makobe Island) cichlids today Empty just ordered some Pundamilia Nyererei (Makobe Island) cichlids today

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-23, 02:48

I'm pretty excited the dad has amazing color I got 6 of them for 40 bucks free shipping! Can't wait to get these guys and pump them with some awesome food and get them growing! Any one else have these??
Fishyladdy
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

just ordered some Pundamilia Nyererei (Makobe Island) cichlids today Empty Re: just ordered some Pundamilia Nyererei (Makobe Island) cichlids today

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-23, 09:20

Here's an interesting article on Pundamilia...I found it one day while looking for pronounciation help...all these Victorian names give me fits (i.e. my kyogas...it is pronounced as "choga") Laughing 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

P. nyererei are also on the CARES Priority List identified as CNT (near threatened).  To find out more about CARES go to

Enjoy your beginning journey with Victorians...they are special fish.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

just ordered some Pundamilia Nyererei (Makobe Island) cichlids today Empty Re: just ordered some Pundamilia Nyererei (Makobe Island) cichlids today

Post  DMD123 2013-09-23, 10:14

Nice choice, beautiful little fish!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2013-09-23, 10:24

Hope they are nice ones. Lots of hybrids rampant in certain sectors of the Victorians. I have some Ruti island that are crossed whit crimson tide....pretty but worthless.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-09-23, 10:46

I have no idea what variant mine are, but they are definitely gorgeous fish!
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-23, 14:36

bassetman wrote:Hope they are nice ones. Lots of hybrids rampant in certain sectors of the Victorians. I have some Ruti island that are crossed whit crimson tide....pretty but worthless.
That is one reason that many Victorian breeders are adamant about keeping Vics in species only tanks or tanks with fish from other lakes but NOT with other Victorians. So many of the females look like each other...same markings...that it is hard to tell them apart. Obviously the males get confused too Wink
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-23, 14:55

cichlid-gal wrote:
bassetman wrote:Hope they are nice ones. Lots of hybrids rampant in certain sectors of the Victorians. I have some Ruti island that are crossed whit crimson tide....pretty but worthless.
That is one reason that many Victorian breeders are adamant about keeping Vics in species only tanks or tanks with fish from other lakes but NOT with other Victorians.  So many of the females look like each other...same markings...that it is hard to tell them apart.  Obviously the males get confused too Wink
Which is the exact same reason why stores and people buy Red Devils that are not RD. Because they can look so similar to a point with the Midas that people cant tell the difference.

So, Fishladdy hopefully your getting your fish from somebody reputable and keep those and all your fish pure. Hybrids can be cool and neat, but they are killing the hobby. IMO...
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-09-23, 16:39

Are people really that picky about mixing the different variants of nyererei? Understandable about mixing separate species, but even in the wild not all males from the same location look alike, generally the same patterns though.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-23, 17:51

Serious Victorian keepers would want to know the collection point of the species. If you mix the collection points then the lines become blurred.

I suppose it would be like asking people if mixing Cynotiliapia zebroides Jalo Reef "Yellow Top" with Cynotilapia zebroides Nkhata Bay "Yellow Blaze" would be OK...ummm...no. These are two different species. Often when a fish does not have its final taxonomical name it is named using the "collection point". That identifies the fish as separate and unique.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-09-23, 18:26

It's not just Victorian keepers that are like that either. Usually Westie and Apisto keepers keep the different locations separate as well.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-23, 18:39

fishyladdy has mentioned spawning fish for money. Many people interested in this line of fish would want a pure strain for sure.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-23, 19:05

here is a couple of pics of the father. i think hes got awesome colors
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-23, 19:13

beautiful absolutely beautiful, very nice
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-23, 19:15

thats what i thought. i love his colors
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anthony 2013-09-23, 19:26

Hey I had that fish along time ago. It was sold to me as "anchor island" is that a collection point? I would see the fish the same place and it would be called what you guys are calling it. I only had one but kept it with some zebra obl. and about 10 kyoga flamebacks but it was the meanest in the tank. Any way was I just calling it some b.s. name????????????? That's one of the best Victorians . I always wanted the one called hippo point but never could find it. VICS ROCK
anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-09-23, 19:30

OOoh wow that is one beautiful male there!!
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-23, 19:34

That male has a lot of red which is beautiful...most of the Makobe Island variants that I see have a bit more yellow.  I do not know this Vic species so not sure about how he should look and I am terrible at differentiating the small stuff.  If you have doubts about your new aquisitions genetics once they grow and start coloring up there are places you can inquire where experts can help you verify their identification.

Just doing a google search on these guys shows these pics...as you can see lots more yellow but age can play a part in color, tankmates can play a part in color...there are lots of things that can affect color in Victorians.  He is a beautiful Dad though fishyladdy.  Hoping your juvies turn out as nice.

cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-23, 19:38

i like that he doesnt have a bunch of yellow lol it makes him look more angry lol and makes his purple stand out
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-23, 19:49

Here's another link with lots on nyererei identification, it shows all the variants and their differences.

Your juvies Dad looks very close the Makobe pic they have posted here. There is also a detailed description for further evaluation.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-23, 19:52

ordered a breeding pair of these also
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-23, 22:13

Wow, I like both sets you ordered..... You must have a lfs that orders from imperial tropical? I saw their link in one of the pictures and checked them out. They breed some nice fish
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-23, 22:20

Very nice looking fish!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-23, 22:36

i know one of the people who work there. i kinda get good deals lol they breed really nice fish and all are very healthy plus free shipping!
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-23, 22:44

fishyladdy wrote:ordered a breeding pair of these also
I think those are Paralabidochromis sp. "fire" or sp. "fire uganda". How do you plan on housing your Vics? Many victorian females look alot alike. Keeping your two species separated will be important so as to alleviate issues with crossbreeding.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-23, 22:51

i wont keep them together one will be in a 75 and the other will be in a 55
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-23, 23:16

fishyladdy wrote:i wont keep them together one will be in a 75 and the other will be in a 55
cheers 
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2013-09-23, 23:34

Good for you fishylady, hope they do well for you.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-23, 23:35

thanks everyone! i will keep you guys updated when i get them!
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-23, 23:36

I don't need to know when you get them, I only need to know when you have some fry available!!!! They are very cool!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-09-24, 01:55

This thread made me look at my breeding stock of P. nyererei... I am unsure of variant and am very sad. Because now I have about a hundred fry that are teetering on the brink of feeders. Sad
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-24, 02:53

I will take them from u don't use them as feeders!!!!!!!
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-24, 03:03

Damn. Thats gonna be a hella long drive for you. It took me 1.5hrs to go to you. To shelton from Snohomish. Man maybe 3 hrs. Geez girl you're serious about this hobby.

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-09-24, 03:10

Nah, I won't throw them out. New game plan is to grow the fry out to juveniles and see what kind of markings I get. This will show me what patterns are most common in the breed. So on and so forth. But I still am not sure if I should bother stripping the female I haven't seen for about a week...
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-24, 03:15

isn't that over by bremerton?? I go there once a month at least
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-24, 03:30

no Shelton is northwest of Olympia but you have to go through Olympia to get there

Last edited by Madness on 2013-09-24, 03:32; edited 1 time in total
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-24, 03:31

its only a2 hour drive from you
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-09-24, 03:54

Or take a fairy from Seattle to Bremerton and go that way, avoid a lot of traffic.

So I think me and my wife decided that they are actually Mbipia lutea. At least for now. We shall see what we get. Would be cool still either way, and no albinos come up in search.

If your nyererei breed after you get them and spoil them for a while, I would be interested in some fry as well!
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-24, 05:04

U have albinos???
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-25, 20:06

so i got these guys today ive been trying to get pics for you guys but i can only get good ones on my phone and they wont upload on here Sad ill try with the lights off tonight, the order was for 6 and they gave me 8 Smile
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down