KaraWolf
pbmax
DMD123
Salzabar
PokeSephiroth
Lamental Jester
13 posters

Go down

LJ's rimless 6 gallon AquaPro for Yellow Shrimp Empty LJ's rimless 6 gallon AquaPro for Yellow Shrimp

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-05, 02:14

Hello folks... started a new tank.  A six gallon rimless aqua-pro!  The plan is to fill this baby with yellow shrimps in a couple weeks.  For substrate I'm just using black sand... no dirt, no root tabs, no ferts since I only plan on doing mosses.  No heater either, just a lone sponge filter.

So first I loaded up on seiryu stones for the hardscape:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Then I added some marimo moss from Aquarium Co-Op to green things up a little and watered it up:

And that's where I am, now I just wait for it to cycle, using water from other tanks to speed the process, then will be ready for shrimp!  I have some ideas to improve the aquascape, but still brainstorming about that... stay tuned!

Suggestions welcome!
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

LJ's rimless 6 gallon AquaPro for Yellow Shrimp Empty Re: LJ's rimless 6 gallon AquaPro for Yellow Shrimp

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-05, 05:00

lookin good! Very Iwagumi-esque! Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

LJ's rimless 6 gallon AquaPro for Yellow Shrimp Empty Re: LJ's rimless 6 gallon AquaPro for Yellow Shrimp

Post  Salzabar 2013-09-05, 08:16

Great looking tank.
Do you feel the stand is giving the tank proper support?
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-05, 10:17

That is an awesome aquascape! Love the look of that. Hurry up and get some shrimp in there, we want more pics.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-05, 11:06

Salzabar wrote:Great looking tank.
Do you feel the stand is giving the tank proper support?
Indeed - the tank is beautiful Smile But I think a slightly more supportive stand definitely wouldn't hurt.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-05, 12:35

Thank guys!  Yes, I will be looking into a better stand.  Weight wise, the stand is fine, I sat on it, and I weigh about 195 lbs, for 6'4" I'd say that's a good weight to be at (*ahem* ladies), while the tank I estimate to be roughly 80 lbs.  However, I'm pretty sure a moderate earthquake will send it hurling to the floor, so I will be looking for something better, and preferably with 4 legs as oppose to three, lol
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-09-05, 13:22

lol hurling to the floor would be rather bad. Great looking tank though!!!
lol best way to test a stand: sit on it and wiggle some XP makes a world of difference especially if you're making one yourself
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-09-05, 14:35

Very cool. I think this is going to turn into a masterpiece. Filling in the rocks with the moss is going to give it that rolling hills look. Should be awesome!
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-09-05, 14:41

Lamental Jester wrote:I weigh about 195 lbs, for 6'4" I'd say that's a good weight to be at (*ahem* ladies)
lol! 
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-09-05, 14:44

nice tank by the way, I cant wait to see what it looks like once the moss starts growing in.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-05, 21:59

Looks great. This may be a silly question, but are shrimp only supposed to be kept in smaller/ nano style tanks? I have a 20g long and also a 40g breeder That I could use for them. I'd rather use the 40 but is that too big? Will I not be able to see and enjoy them in a larger( which is still smaller compared to my others) tank? Trying to decide if I want to try my hand on them.... It would be cool I think, and if not I could always use hem in my cichlid tank
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-05, 22:20

Lol, your cichlids would enjoy a nice shrimp feast, nom nom nom... You definitely don't have to keep them in a smaller tank, about any size would do, I think you don't see them in larger tanks usually cause they might be harder to spot. The main thing is just be weary of what fish you keep with them, most will eat them... I would start a colony in my 75 gallon but they wouldn't last long with my rainbow fish
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-05, 22:57

Ok, thanks..... My 40g is currently rocking 5 emerald Cory cats and the three albino long fin plecos from madness.... I think shrimp would be ok with them, right? and if those little shrimp began to breed and become invasive, I would always have extra room for them in my175 umbee pair tank ;-)
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-05, 23:02

Lamental Jester wrote:
Spot On 

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-06, 12:59

lloyd378 wrote:My 40g is currently rocking 5 emerald Cory cats and the three albino long fin plecos from madness.... I think shrimp would be ok with them, right?
Yes, they should be fine with cories and plecos
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-06, 14:37

Lamental Jester wrote:
And that's where I am, now I just wait for it to cycle, using water from other tanks to speed the process, then will be ready for shrimp!  I have some ideas to improve the aquascape, but still brainstorming about that... stay tuned!

Suggestions welcome!
I really like how you have laid out the rocks Lemental Jester. This type of moss is a slow growing moss I believe. Since this tank is open the only thing I can think of would be one of those plants that shoot out lilly pads that flower. Then possibly a smaller narrow leave rhizome plant (Anubias species maybe) strategically planted on the rocks here & there. Another plant that may work is some type of narrow leaf fern such as Narrow leaf, or Trident spotted here and there. These plants do spread but could be thinned back easily.

Just throwing it out there. I will continue watching this thead for updates.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-06, 16:05

Thank you! Yes, the marimo is slow growing, and super easy to lay out, which is why I picked it. Marimo is actually an algae, but I think is refered as moss so it would sell better. In terms of the plants you suggest, I don't think the lily idea would work for the style I'm going for, but I'll look into the anubias and trident java. I was thinking about using small bits of manzanita and some type of moss and making little minature trees, or skip the moss and do mini "dead" willow tree.... we shall see...
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-06, 17:01

Lamental Jester wrote:  I was thinking about using small bits of manzanita and some type of moss and making little minature trees, or skip the moss and do mini "dead" willow tree.... we shall see...
Oh yes, I have seen many pictures in which the aqua scape would incorporate tree like structures underwater. Many look very nice. I think this would be a great route to go. Here is something I've saved.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-06, 17:08

Ah yes... I've seen that pic many times... what I wanna do is like that, but much smaller
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-09-06, 17:25

MOSSWALL
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-06, 17:42

BillHN wrote:MOSSWALL
Hahaha... no
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-07, 04:25

I know... what about some light diffusing stuff for your background???? HINT.HINT.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-09, 12:49

PokeSephiroth wrote:I know... what about some light diffusing stuff for your background???? HINT.HINT.
Hmmmm, perhaps..........
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-09, 12:54

too late. it's all gone. D:
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-09, 13:39

lame, oh well.... you still own me some star grass btw Wink
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-09, 13:50

Just kidding, I still have some. You want some? Trade? What?
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  twoohsix 2013-09-12, 21:54

wow, would of never guessed that tank was so small from the scape

twoohsix
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-17, 22:30

Got some yellows at the SWAP. Picture time:

And this guy enjoying Gigi's Wonderfood, NOM NOM NOM:

Sorry some of these pics aren't the best, I need a better camera

Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-09-17, 22:51

These guys look awesome XDD was hoping to see the yellows/blues at the swap but I was too late to get a look. My first thought upon seeing the pictures is you have a ranch XDD only instead of a mountian and brown cows you have a mini-mountian and yellow shrimp XP some sweet pictures especially ones where you can see a strip 0.o
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-18, 02:23

Thanks KaraWolf! yeah, I swiped both Yellows from Tania AND Blues from Shango at the SWAP, I got there nice and early, so I got first picks Very Happy

That reminds me, I gotta take some pics of Shango's beautiful Blues... coming soon!!!!
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-18, 02:31

Nice shrimps, LJ.
Here guys here is a capable list I got from a shrimp seller's site. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
P.s. I like mine the way they are. This list for ppl who like them species tank only

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-18, 09:02

Lamental Jester wrote:Hello folks... started a new tank.  A six gallon rimless aqua-pro!  The plan is to fill this baby with yellow shrimps in a couple weeks.  For substrate I'm just using black sand... no dirt, no root tabs, no ferts since I only plan on doing mosses.  No heater either, just a lone sponge filter.

So first I loaded up on seiryu stones for the hardscape:

Suggestions welcome!
Beautiful layout lamental.  As for the stand...with glass tanks they need support on the corners I believe and acrylic tanks need support across the entire bottom of the tank.  Until you get the proper stand support just be careful.  Don't want to lose that beauty. If all those shrimp decide to gang up and move to one end or corner of the tank....WATCH OUT!!!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-09-18, 09:20

It's a glass tank. o_o
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-18, 15:55

Yes, I'm working on the logistics of getting the tank on something more stable, I think I have a bookshelf that might work Very Happy
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-09-18, 16:52

I really love this tank! the layout is beautiful!
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down