2.5 Gallon Tanks - What does yours look like? (2.5 Gallon Tanks ONLY)

+5
pbmax
Lamental Jester
KaraWolf
DMD123
PokeSephiroth
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2.5 Gallon Tanks - What does yours look like? (2.5 Gallon Tanks ONLY) - Page 2 Empty Re: 2.5 Gallon Tanks - What does yours look like? (2.5 Gallon Tanks ONLY)

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-04, 23:40

That looks super great, KaraWolf!! The growth on that hairgrass is just amazing! :Dgood job!

Last edited by PokeSephiroth on 2013-09-05, 12:57; edited 1 time in total
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

2.5 Gallon Tanks - What does yours look like? (2.5 Gallon Tanks ONLY) - Page 2 Empty Re: 2.5 Gallon Tanks - What does yours look like? (2.5 Gallon Tanks ONLY)

Post  pbmax 2013-09-05, 00:02

KaraWolf wrote:Thanks :Djust need to scrub the glass >> and kill all these snail eggs! I have plenty right now 0.o
One I got from anderson_p_r: 26Watts, 120 vac, 1610 lumens. I think it's one of these: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and it usually sits only 2 finger widths above the water surface(can't find the tape measure >> ) though right this second it's sitting at 4 finger widths >> so much evaporation! not sure what the color temp is but real temp wise it puts off a lot less heat then the 60watt one I had in previously which is a great thing since now i don't burn my finger shutting it off at night.
I am very very happy to be seeing all that grass growing in <3 though now that I think about it I might just have to make a small clearing in it so the shrimp can start eating the food i provide rather then sucking on all the dirt lol
Oh wow. I'm impressed you're not experiencing an algae explosion with that much light. With luck you won't get one Smile That much light certainly explains the hairgrass growth.

I use 2x sylvania 13w 6500k bulbs from Lowes over my 10g tanks generally, and some older 18w 6500k bulbs that they don't sell anymore.

Don't worry about a designated place for shrimp to eat food. They'll swim upside down and skim food off the surface of the water if they need to. Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-09-05, 12:46

thanks Poke!! Smile super glad it's growing in now!! The shrimp love it and I can actually find them most of the time now lol

pbmax: I am >> just scrubbed it and all the snail eggs off the glass XP yayyy toothbrush cleaning lol but I'm used to scrubbing (betta tanks get slime and water deposits) and I gotta do it anyways if I want to have any chance of keeping the snails down (not that it's working as well as I hoped oh well)

I haven't tried other bulbs besides the 60w yet but definatly loving this one more just because the tank doesn't look dim like it did with the 60w that and I haven't tried looking at lowes yet, military exchange store is VERY limited in what kind of lightbulbs it offers....

lol hope it doesn't come to that! wouldn't want the two endlers thinking there's a play thing in their tank!! They already think the sinking food is more fun then their own flakes <.< Mostly just hoping the shirmp start actually noticing when I drop food in cause watching them all come scurrying out was awesome in anderson's tank
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-05, 13:10

Shrimp will only rush out to eat food if there isn't sufficient bio film in the tank to support them, in my experience. Smile Don't worry if they don't appear to be actively eating what you put in the tank - this is normal.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-09-05, 13:27

AH. lol no I sit there and watch them scrub dirt and grass so I'm sure they're getting plenty. Maybe when they're big enough and have too many babies (provided the endlers don't turn out to be uber efficent hunters)
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-05, 14:08

Endlers will likely dispose of the babies for you. In fact, that's how I was able to remove all of the malawa shrimp from one of my tanks in prep for blue velvets (not that you can't mix them, I just wanted to scale back my malawa extravaganza a little). The endlers wiped out all the juveniles, so all I had to do was catch the adults. This took a while to do (malawa are FAST), but little by little I moved them all to another tank.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-09-05, 14:18

Kinda what I was thinking though since I only have 2 and the grass is growing in so thick I'm hoping some survive to bump the population up from a whopping 5. otherwise maybe relocate a berried female till the babies are as big as when I got these which the endlers didn't bother even when there wasn't a lot of the grass.
0.o sounds like a giant project trying to move them all!
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-05, 21:11

Yes, given enough cover, some may survive. The tank where I kept mine with malawa shrimp was densely planted, but I also had a TON of endlers in there. Since you only have a couple you might get away with some babies surviving.

Moving all the shrimp was a bit of an undertaking Smile Every time I walked by the tank and saw a shrimp, I netted it out and moved it. They're really fast though (they make RCS look like they're standing still), so half the time I'd miss them and lose them and end up cussing and swearing at the tank. I got pretty good at chasing them down toward the end. Very Happy
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2