Cracked trim?

+2
lloyd378
master chi
6 posters

Go down

Cracked trim? Empty Cracked trim?

Post  master chi 2013-07-29, 18:12

I scored a 55 gallon tank for FREE!!! which is nice because I planned on acquiring one for my mom's birthday in november.
the only problem is the trim is cracked on the top and bottom of the tank.

I have read in the past that plastic trim is for aesthetic purposes,and for the most part I tend to go along with this train of thought.
Since I will be setting this tank up at my mom's apt. though, I want to make sure I can do all that I can to make certain this tank will hold.

Are there any remedies for repairing a cracked trim? I would like to apply epoxy to run along the length of both cracks. Will that work,or be enough to ensure any issues will not arise? Should I remove the trim? Can it be replaced? How would I go about finding new trim to put on the tank?

As of right now I have it filled with water,and it's holding just fine,but I want to be sure for a more long term basis. As always,any and all responses are welcome,and appreciated. Thanks
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Cracked trim? Empty Re: Cracked trim?

Post  lloyd378 2013-07-29, 18:36

I used silicone to put my trim back on my150.....it keeps he trim on place nicely
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-07-29, 18:57

The current trim is cracked on the top and bottom of the tank. The crack moves vertically,not horizontal. The tanks center brace is intact,but still I want to get some ideas on how to repair it. If I have to get all new trim fine,but I would need to know where to buy it.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-07-29, 19:29

Watch this youtube vid.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-07-29, 19:33

well the cracks are almost exactly how the ones in the video are. Would this be enogh you think to call the tank safe?
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-07-29, 19:39

id say it would be safe. how much weight does that plastic really support in the long run? im going to bet its nowhere near what the glass and silicone is subjected to. either way i think youll be fine. just clean it up nice and then simply paint over the rim of the tank. i had to do that on my 125 when i first got it (somebody else decided it was a good idea and didnt finish it) so i had to strip all the old crummy paint off and then recoat it all. krylon has worked well and has resisted any damage from water / water stains. GL in your choices.

PS: on a side note i may be finally trying to rehome that rusty pair i have if youd be interested just shoot a PM
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  avenger21 2013-08-13, 14:29

you can buy new trim here if you need to at... aquariumframeswholesale.com

as tank manufacturers cut costs by using thinner glass, they started using center brace supports to prevent large bowing of the glass

On the older tanks this wasn't a problem because of the thicker glass. if your tank isn't bowing considerably, i would say you're fine

avenger21
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-08-13, 14:38

Nice link avenger21. So they sell them for $12 each x2 =$24 + shipping = estimated $35

Petco $1 per gallon sale $55 + tax = New for not much more.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-08-13, 23:36

I've had a center brace crack on a 55 and I will say over time you will notice a bowing of the glass. glass isn't made to flex so I decided to replace at the dollar a gallon sale through petco.. I have a beat up bottom plastic frame from that tank if you want it for $5 its brown in color and has some scrapes. I chose that's it was easier to spend the money on a new tank than clean up 50ish gallons of water.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-08-14, 00:14

What I've done to fix it should hold until the next sale, then I will upgrade to the 55. Then I will take the extra time to replace the cracked trim, then stock it with, Saulosi,and cobalts.the tank in question was one I planned for my mom, she actually wants yellow labs. I thought she would want a JD or something similar, she told me she would really like to have the same yellow cichlids I have in my main tank, Labs. So I'm going to stock her with Labs,and cobue for contrast. Should be pretty nice, then I want to add a group of Acei, when she gets the 55 replacement. She's gonna be stoked, me too!!
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down