I've got the male.... and now I've got his females (X2) updated

+2
DMD123
lloyd378
6 posters

Go down

I've got the male.... and now I've got his females (X2)  updated Empty I've got the male.... and now I've got his females (X2) updated

Post  lloyd378 2013-07-20, 00:23

I picked up this beautiful male Rio Mag today at around 9"-10" ....  His nickname will be He-Man, and I would like to get the female for him that I have been eyeing for a couple of months.... She would be known as She-Ra.  Thinking that I might try my hand at breeding using the egg crate separator method . Here he is:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by lloyd378 on 2013-08-16, 01:56; edited 1 time in total
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

I've got the male.... and now I've got his females (X2)  updated Empty Re: I've got the male.... and now I've got his females (X2) updated

Post  DMD123 2013-07-20, 00:28

What a beast! Looking good.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

I've got the male.... and now I've got his females (X2)  updated Empty Re: I've got the male.... and now I've got his females (X2) updated

Post  Madness 2013-07-20, 00:46

Get some good food in him and in no time he will look amazing.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-07-20, 00:48

OOOooohhhh...

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-07-20, 00:56

madness wrote:Get some good food in him and in no time he will look amazing.

I will. He has already taken down three big NLS pellets and two frozen krill. By chance, did you make it over there today to check out the fish? the larger female of his new two, i might snag instead of the WC one its far cheaper but still looks nice, though it has a taller body shape.... either way, I have to wait till payday, otherwise my wife gets mad at me spending crazy money on my hobby on multiple days! Maybe I will have to find some fish to trade in for some store credit or something....
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-07-20, 00:59

I cashed in my credit earlier in the week and bought a custom made sump. Ill have to see if I can get over there tomorrow after Austin's baseball game.

How does he know that they are females?
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-07-20, 01:01

he doesn't, but the guy that brought them in was supposed to bring in more than the two and that the others are bigger ones so since these were smaller than the other ones he / we guessed female.....  they "looked" like females haha. who knows though, without venting them. i asked if they originally came from you, but he said no.

store credit always makes people happy . you don't have to run over just to give me a second opinion on the quality..... i can do it the next time i go in.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-07-20, 01:33

Wasn't She-Ra and He-Man siblings? Well I guess you can't go wrong in the fish world... Lol
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-07-20, 01:37

CrazedAce wrote:Wasn't She-Ra and He-Man siblings? Well I guess you can't go wrong in the fish world... Lol

wow, crazy memory you've got there! I just googled it and it turns out that they were twins..... I was also thinking of naming him uncle Si after the crazy old man on duck dynasty..... like a tribute to him or something. lol
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-07-22, 01:23

So tonight while I was watching my new fish, my 4" jag shot out of nowhere and bit the umbee on the side.... Not liking this , he turned and bit off the tail of the jag and them swallowed him head first!   Because of this, my wife said that his name must be dexter as he lives & kills by a code ( read only killing bad/ mean fish).   I will not post the pics of the fish in his mouth or the fish' mangled/ decapitated body .... I can text them to you if you don't believe....  Dexter may end up being a wet pet all by himself..... But still wanting to breed him at the moment
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-07-22, 13:42

Sounds like a monster.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-08-16, 01:55

so quick update: ive got two females for my male now (thanks madness).  I am currently trying to introduce the biggest female and dexter via the egg crate method.... he (dexter) has gotten kind of excited about the female (hana) and tried to nip her a few times before i separated them. now he took a chunk out of his best bud, my tiger oscar.  thinking that the oscar is now going to have to go. so if the two fishboxers that were interested in him last week when you stopped by my house to get other fish are still interested, send me a message and lets work out a trade.  here are some pictures of the future pair, i hope. the names are from the showtime series dexter, for those of you that watch it ;-)

and the oscar with the white bite on his side

sorry that these pictures aren't as good as my previous ones, i shot them with my iphone tonight because i was being lazy
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-08-16, 01:57

not sure that i had ever updated his name after the first initial post....

so he's now "Dexter"  and she's "Hanna"

more dexter

and hanna
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-08-16, 10:33

looking good Spot On 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-08-16, 12:01

Thanks dmd..... She is really starting to taunt him now that she knows she's safe.  Or maybe she's playing hard to get.  Either way. Let the games begin.

Dmd did you also notice the bluntness of her face compared to how elongated his is? It's like two different species
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-08-16, 14:34

Yeah I saw that. I do like the look of that male, he is a little monster in the making.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-08-16, 19:05

He does have a pointed snout.  Here is Mels Rio Mag. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Hmmmm, your female came from this male , so you should have some great looking kids.  

Here is a pic of my latest little hell raiser, soon to be monster. Him and his little female have alread spawned.  They then ate the eggs, but it is promising to see that they have paired up and are being together without issues. cheers [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-08-26, 01:56

So quick update, I've had the two divided for the last couple of weeks with the egg crate plastic ..... Tonight I decided to see if they could get along with the age old practice of cutting a hole small enough for only the female to get through.... Long story short, Misjudged the size and my male squeezed through to visit her.... She turned bright white and then bit him about four times before he returned/ retreated to his side.  Keeping my fingers crossed that they are both still alive in the am and also getting along if you know what I mean
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-08-26, 18:38

Hey where is our update? Are they both still alive? Any thing else happen?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-08-26, 19:11

Haha, sorry was working in my classroom today. Yes both still alive and the female has her spawning colors amped up..... The male is chasing the other two fish around the tank to keep them away from the female..... He seems to like her, but I don't think he knows how to be gentle..... Ill take a video tonight when I feed them to show you
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-07, 15:11

they have been getting along great since the two of them bonded over nearly destroying my 12" oscar and 6" dovii while i was at work.  I have a video to share and pictures showing off some of their current nice coloring...... i will also include a bit of a distraction with two shots of my gorillus blue and black growouts, and a special orange shout out at the end.
male
female
male again
gorillus blue/black fry
closer shot
my wc midas right after he rammed his hump into a piece of lava rock chasing around his new tank mates (the beat up oscar and beat up dovii)
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-07, 15:18

Hey wait a minute that tank looks familiar.... LMFAO 

Glad you got the 56g column set up!

Fish are looking good, love that midas!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-07, 15:24

thanks, dmd.  i might sell him soon. i have been kicking around the idea, since he is wc and i have no plans to breed him.  Id like to get him to someone who has a female, then again, i also really love keeping him too.  the oscar has nearly healed and i will be giving him away soon too I hope.  here is the video

lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-07, 15:43

Did the midas cut his hump? Looks like a slight gouge in it or is it coloration?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-07, 15:54

Yes he gouged it while chasing the Dovii.... They get along now as long as none of the fish are within his eye sight..... He's definitely king if his castle, even though he's the smallest king in the tank
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-07, 16:07

I love that midas but I have too peaceful a set up to take on an aggressive midas. Mine is a puppy dog and is so nice, but also plain and not peeling yet.

Last edited by DMD123 on 2013-09-07, 18:35; edited 1 time in total
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-07, 18:13

Looking great Lloyd. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-08, 00:39

Thanks, guys! They are starting to guard one section of the cave thing I have on the right side of the tank.... Keeping my fingers crossed
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-30, 00:02

so, not sure that I've updated this in a while.... they had about 150 babies that survived and started to flourish..I have been keeping them with the parents as the mom has been wonderful! even when the male was hogging the food, she would go grab pellets, chew them up, and then spit them out for the fry to eat. I was so stoked...... Then, this week i noticed the number of fry start to dwindle. I kept watching them to see if they were picking each other off or if they were just dying from unknown causes. I made the decision today to move the remaining 10 or so fry to a 20g(meaning i have to relocate their current inhabitants)

Fast forward to about 20 minutes ago, kids in bed, dinner done, etc. went out to move the fry only to discover that the female had laid about another 200-300 eggs on a piece of slate, the male was in the process of fertilizing, and the last of the fry hiding on the opposite side of the tank in a hollowed out fake log. As I lifted off the lid and grabbed the net, i was met with a rather angry male 13-14" umbee who bit the net, shaking it and ripping it and then trying to get my hand...... good luck fry, you are going to need it!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-30, 00:10

here is the video from the first batch of fry, the survivors are now about 1/4-1/2 inch.... i really hope they make it
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-30, 00:20

Here are the new umbee eggs from tonight..... i also took a close up of the log, but none of the babies would come out (smart lil buggers)

sorry about the video being so narrow, shot it with the iphone
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-10-30, 02:08

Congrats. cheers 
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-31, 01:50

Thanks! I'm excited for the new fry and bummed for my old fry.... Going to have to setup one of those growouts tanks like you rock with the sponge filter to raise them up...... 40b is what you use for all your growouts right?
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-10-31, 02:03

Yep, the perfect fry tank
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-10-31, 07:14

Use a siphon to get the babies out...daddy can bite it all he wants but he won't hurt it. At least you might be able to save some of them. Good luck and congrats.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Will I am 2013-10-31, 09:58

Great looking fish Lloyd!
Will I am
Will I am

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-31, 20:37

Thanks for the siphon advice, the compliments, and the responses..... All appreciated
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down