Finally, some progress with my 9.5 gal L

+3
Lamental Jester
Anthraxx
PokeSephiroth
7 posters

Go down

Finally, some progress with my 9.5 gal L Empty Finally, some progress with my 9.5 gal L

Post  Guest 2013-07-11, 01:46

My first nano type tank has been a nightmare. After putting the system together I seeded the tank with mature filer media like I've done many times before. I picked up well over $100 worth of critters & fish. Just little nano type critters, they all died soon after...
Searching for answers and solutions I finally changed the filter system. I started with a S10 from Marineland. Normally I'm the type that likes to over filtrate I knew this thing was tiny! I happened to bump into a neat little canister filter at my favorite LFS. So, I'm giving it a try. This canister has at lest 300% more surface area for bio filtration. Also, with the included spay bar I am able to create a soft current from one end of the tank to the other.
In the 10+ days since I've been running this canister the tank has begun to look healthier. Some of the bacteria/algae is clearing & have managed to keep 7 neon tetra alive for over a week. I did use a liquid bacteria instant start this time with the new canister.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My 1st canister filter...

I like the spray bar. I shortened it from about 1 foot to 5 inches to fit into the tank properly. I then drilled tiny additional holes to direct some flow toward the bottom of the tank. Watching debris in the water I can tell this created a nice even current top to bottom toward the canisters pick up on the other end of this micro 2 foot long tank.

Back to top Go down

Finally, some progress with my 9.5 gal L Empty Re: Finally, some progress with my 9.5 gal L

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-07-11, 02:39

Whoa that looks nice! What is that green algae looking stuff towards the back of the tank? It actually looks pretty cool, the way it looks like that. way better than a moss wall, in my opinion Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Finally, some progress with my 9.5 gal L Empty Re: Finally, some progress with my 9.5 gal L

Post  Guest 2013-07-11, 08:00

PokeSephiroth wrote:Whoa that looks nice! What is that green algae looking stuff towards the back of the tank? It actually looks pretty cool, the way it looks like that. way better than a moss wall, in my opinion Very Happy

That algae stuff had at 1 time completely covered everything in this tank. I believe its called Rhizoclonium & it was pretty nasty. What your seeing is the down side of a horrible battle. At 1 time i removed all the plants except the clover stuff right in front. I then had covered the surface with mature water lettuce to blot out light and to absorb other nasties through the roots & conducted frequent water changes. all the other plants i just put in about 4 days ago. The algae seems to be holding back . Next ill find some Amano shrimp to eat the rest of the Rhizoclonium Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-07-11, 10:49

Oh wow! Well, I like that green algae background for some reason Very Happy I imagine it'd be like a great climbing wall for shrimp and what not haha! And yes, Amano shrimp for the win! Looks like there's a trip planned to go to Aquarium Co-Op in the near future! Very Happy I think Cory sells em for $3 each, which isn't bad at all.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-07-11, 11:46

PokeSephiroth wrote:Oh wow! Well, I like that green algae background for some reason :DI imagine it'd be like a great climbing wall for shrimp and what not haha! And yes, Amano shrimp for the win! Looks like there's a trip planned to go to Aquarium Co-Op in the near future! :DI think Cory sells em for $3 each, which isn't bad at all.

Perfect! That's my new fav LFS, think I'll head over in a couple days & p/u a couple Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-07-11, 14:27

arent amano shrimp the same thing as "ghost shrimp"? and as such are available as feeders from most big box pet stores? just a thought even tho i would much rather buy cories stock at the co-op anyways Razz. we need to get a bi-monthly car pool going cuz i never seem to manage to make it up there.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-07-11, 14:37

Amano Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp are two different types of shrimp. =P

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Amano Shrimp

Ghost Shrimp Very Happy

Amano Shrimp are usually sold more than just breeder ghost shrimp. cheers

Last edited by PokeSephiroth on 2013-07-11, 16:05; edited 1 time in total
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-07-11, 15:41

How much was the filter? I have a 9.5g tall tank, from Aquarium Co-Op(duh), and was using an Azoo Palm filter, until I decided it was a wuss, and got a Rapids Mini Canister from Dr Foster & Smith. 31 bucks after shipping. 11 if you have one of the coupons they gave out at a GSAS auction...
(Will post pics of my 9.5 soon ^_^)

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-07-11, 15:53

@PvtPain66k: I think this is the filter he's using: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looks like a good deal
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-07-11, 17:10

You got it LJ, ZooMed. It was tucked away in Aquarium Co-op, Cory recommended it amd dug it out for me. I think he charged me about $30 for it. It came with ceramics and a pouch or carbon. I traded the carbon out for more sponge media and a small amount of Purigon. I like the Rapids model because it has a HOB hook on it. But mine sits nicely behind the tank. Plus I already have a HOB breeder/refugium hanging on this narrow tank Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-07-11, 19:01

Mine's also sitting behind the tank w/o the included "carbon sack". ^_^

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-06, 01:44

Algae and funky bacteria going away, plants getting busy! I did find a couple BIG Almano shrimp & they work the tank like busy bodyies.

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-08-06, 01:59

OH DAAAAANG, that's nice!!! The plants you have on the foreground, is that Marsilea minuta? I've never seen it in it's "clover form" while submersed! Shocked 
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-06, 07:38

PokeSephiroth wrote:OH DAAAAANG, that's nice!!! The plants you have on the foreground, is that Marsilea minuta? I've never seen it in it's "clover form" while submersed! Shocked 
I believe so Poke. Would have to confirm with LJ to be certain. I apologize but my memory retention with all the plant species names out there is poor , lol.
Later I will focus on trying to mat the plant, but for now I am just happy its growing so well Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-08-06, 11:51

Wow, that's great Very Happy Cory has some for sale, but they don't look like the clover form. A lot of people say that the clover form is the emersed version of that plant, while the submersed version doesn't look like a clover at all. Hmm...

But yes, I vaguely remember LJ's 15 gallon tank that has that stuff, and they're submerged but look like little clovers. Odd, but cool!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-08-06, 12:33

It's hydrocotyle tripartita... Glad to see it's working out for you Smile
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-06, 13:29

Looking good Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-08-07, 01:12

LJ: Ohh I see, well that's lookin pretty nice!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-07, 07:35

Lamental Jester wrote:It's hydrocotyle tripartita... Glad to see it's working out for you Smile
Me too LJ.Soon I will start pressing down on the plant as you suggested to get that low growing mat effect. But I do like the look of it now.

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-08-28, 02:06

Looks good, i have been wanting to try one of those little canisters for a while, but have gotten by with cheap HOB and sponge filters. Of course that's with relatively little load and low-tech

I like the asymmetry of your setup, and also like the clover things too!
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-28, 02:23

LuminousAphid wrote:Looks good, i have been wanting to try one of those little canisters for a while, but have gotten by with cheap HOB and sponge filters. Of course that's with relatively little load and low-tech

I like the asymmetry of your setup, and also like the clover things too!
Thank you. For such a small tank it gave me a rough time to start but is looking really good now. Im looking to re home the 7 neon tetra soon, and put a couple Pea Puffers in for a while to irradicate all the snails. Then perhaps move onto a dwarf cichlid or 2 (Apistogramma) .

The canister has been AWESOME! Haven't had any issue, nor any sicknesses since installation a couple months ago!  (Thank you Cory!)

The Clover plant was given to me by a fellow Washinton Fishboxonian. Ive since pulled about 25% of the plant and gave some to Poke. I dont mind sharing so perhaps when the plant fills back up we could meet up @ Aquarium CoOp sometime to trade us some plants Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-28, 02:38

Dude. Thats awesome tank. But I did like algae background for some reason. Only on the back glass. That clover plant is cool too. Nice set up!

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-08-28, 03:32

Moving this to the journal section. One man's journey to a 9.5 gallon underwater garden Razz
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-28, 04:55

Smile Sounds great Cory

Thank you for the feed back Wes. I think once filled out the petite Anubis and corkscrew grasses will make a better background than the algae, lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-26, 22:15

Little change up on the plants curtesy of the Plant it Forward we have going on. Moved the Neon Tetras to a good new home & added dwarf Puffers (bye bye snail invasion ; ) . Starting to think this tank maybe to small for future Apistogramma (?) .
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down