Plant ID help

Go down

Plant ID help Empty Plant ID help

Post  Guest 2013-06-18, 02:02

Purchased about 6 months ago, for the life of me I can not remember the name. It looks like a chain sword but it does not chain to propagate. It was said that the plant will split or little plants will form along the side of the mother plant. It has a reddish hugh under the right conditions. I wish to figure out the name so I can further study the plant and try to get it to propagate. 

Any help appreciated,
Chad[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Back to top Go down

Plant ID help Empty Re: Plant ID help

Post  Guest 2013-06-18, 02:29

It's almost certainly a Japonica. Probably blyxa or aubertii.
It likes lots of CO2 and light. Got my blyxa from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on 2 occasions I believe, at GSAS auctions. His grow crazy big...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-06-18, 08:08

Nice Tim! I dont know enough about the plant to tell the difference between the two different species. Intro-net keeps defaulting to blyxa but that's definatly the plant. Some pictures show a brilliant crimson /red plant. That would be great if I could get this plant that RED! However, the plant looks cool in its green color as well.
In my tank the plant is stabile but it is in 2 feet of water. Im having issues getting a good dose of CO2 into my large tank. Think its due to the fact it has a sump (too much water agitation). Im working on solving this problem... This is the ONLY ground cover I've managed to keep alive for more than a month. Sure would like to see it propagate:)

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-06-18, 10:10

Hi theChad,

Based upon the size compared with the Ceratopteris thalictroides in the background it is unlikely that it is B.  aubertii; most likely Blyxa japonica.  The red color typically shows up in high light with iron supplements.
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-06-18, 10:22

Thanks Roy. I trimmed up the background plant (Ceratopteris thalictroides) quite considerably yesterday to allow direct light to hit the Blyxa japonica. The substrate is fluorite, and I started dosing a time released iron supplement. Perhaps this will be enough for the plant to become a little darker and propagate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-06-18, 12:38

Hi theChad,

If you were to ask me I would say that 90% of the 'red' coloration we see in plants is the result of strong light levels and 10% has to do with nutrients.  The Flourite should have plenty of iron so adding a little supplemental iron should be more than enough.
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-06-18, 13:59

Yeah, I got that slightly wrong, should have been "certainly a Blyxa. Probably japonica or aubertii."
But you and Roy got it. Roy's blyxa's are mighty pretty too... ^__^

For my 38G I dose 6/mg per 3 days of Aquavitro's Propel, their iron supplement, $10 at Aquarium Co-Op. My red lotus has started throwing pink, tiger lotus is plenty spotted, and my hygro pinnatifida is finally starting to look mostly happy. I also dose 4/mg of regular Flourish(switching to try the Aqua Vitro since I just emptied the bottle), and 3/mg Excel(Glut), on the same day. 4x36inch bulbs, t-5's, I believe.

My Blyxa's are roughly 2 inches in diameter, but their leaves are LONG and spindly. I think it really prefers injected CO2, but we also have it in our 20 long, which get no dosing of any kind. It's living and throws babies occasionally, but it's not terribly big or robust looking.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-06-18, 14:18

If its lighting that has a great deal in the plants red color then i may not be able able to produce it. The tank is 2 feet deep, this is the 1st "grass like" plant that's survived in this tank thus far. Im okay with the green color, its a nice looking plant.
I normally grow out my stem plants to about a foot before I add them to this tank to get them closer to the light. Although, in the last couple months Ive added red LED strips and a few more watts of T5HO the substraight level Java ferns still grow real slow-BUT with large leaves Smile

Tim, thanks for chiming in too! Your post affirms I maybe getting a handle on things with my ferts. Im using the exact same ferts as you except EXCELL (got to get more!), however the tank is lightly injected with CO2. But I have not been consistent with them. Ill definitely get on a regimen and stick with it to see if the plant deepens in color.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down