Tanganyikans

+2
lloyd378
Betty
6 posters

Go down

Tanganyikans Empty Tanganyikans

Post  Betty 2013-05-17, 02:08

By their behavior, I think the leleupi are getting ready to spawn and the Julies already have. I spotted a couple of tiny fry yesterday.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A few calvus pics.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Tanganyikans Empty Re: Tanganyikans

Post  lloyd378 2013-05-17, 02:23

the tanganyikans are definitely my favorite african cichlids! that 5th picture could definitely be a picture of the month! what size tank do they require(the fish in the 5th picture)? I'd love to have some of those
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-05-17, 02:55

Love the calvus. My favourite African for sure. If only they got oscar sized... then I would get one.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-05-17, 08:33

Beautiful Tanganyikans Betty. I love both the leleupi and the Julies. Your pics make me want some of these guys.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2013-05-17, 09:15

beautiful tangs. congrats on the julie spawn and good luck on the leleupis
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-05-17, 11:29

Thanks everyone. I've had the julies and leleupis for over three years now and the two pairs have produced so many babies. I really wish they would stop. I don't pull the fry out anymore, but there is the occasional survivor.

I would love for the calvus to form a pair and spawn -- I've been waiting patiently... And DMD, that would be awesome if they got that big! The other day I had taken a couple of shells that were covered in algae out of their tank and put it in with the shrimp and pleco to clean them. When I brought the shells back a few shrimp had hitchhiked and found themselves in the calvus tank. Wow, those fish move so fast while hunting! I felt bad for the shrimp, but it was interesting to watch the hunt.

Lloyd, I bought my Julies labeled as transcriptus and had read that a pair could be kept in a tank as small as a 20 long. I later found out that they were actually Marlieri. I have mine in a 29 gallon and they've been fine for three years; breeding regularly. I have had to remove an occasional male that challenges the dominant male of the pair and have given away lots of juvies. If you wanted to keep other species with them, a bigger tank would be much better.

Cichlid-gal, I don't know if any of your species can be trusted with their own young Very Happy , but it's really cool to watch the ones that take care and protect their babies. I was so used to the mbuna eating their fry, that it was a nice change to see some parental care! My leleupi male does eat or kill his sometimes if there is a new spawn.
These are old pictures from the days I used to save the fry.

Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-05-17, 13:21

Betty wrote:

Lloyd, I bought my Julies labeled as transcriptus and had read that a pair could be kept in a tank as small as a 20 long. I later found out that they were actually Marlieri. I have mine in a 29 gallon and they've been fine for three years; breeding regularly. I have had to remove an occasional male that challenges the dominant male of the pair and have given away lots of juvies. If you wanted to keep other species with them, a bigger tank would be much better.

These are old pictures from the days I used to save the fry.

If you ever get a wild hair to keep some of the babies, let me know. ill buy some and get them into 55g..... or maybe put them in my 40 gallon in my classroom. The kids might enjoy them more than my current stock (big male convict, and an equally aggressive female cuban) thanks for sharing, they are awesome
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-05-17, 15:20

It would be really tough to get any of the julie fry in the tank they are in now, but I'll keep an eye out. The leleupi are a little easier because there aren't other adults in the tank to get them when they are tiny. If you do some research on them and are interested, let me know. (They can be aggressive!) I might have a few I can let you have.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-05-17, 15:27

i did africans last summer, though they were just the malawi types w/ a frontosa that I still have. I still have all of the equipment/supplies for africans, i just wanted to go back to what I know. toward the end of summer (when I set my tank back up in my classroom, I may pm you to see if you have any available! thanks again for sharing these awesome pictures
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  anthony 2013-05-17, 22:15

nice fish and amazing pictures
anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content