New to forum, new tank, looking for Tanganyikans!

+3
Doza
Addictedtofish
tdy
7 posters

Go down

New to forum, new tank, looking for Tanganyikans! Empty New to forum, new tank, looking for Tanganyikans!

Post  tdy 2011-04-08, 14:58

Hello forum,

Very happy to find this forum as I don't think this sort of thing existed when I had Tanganyikans 15 years ago. With a baby on the way, I've decided to get rid of the television and set up a new aquarium as make-shift Baby Tv / entertainment center.

Previously, I kept a 55gallon tank with breeding colonies of 7-band Frontosas & Transcriptus + various Africans. So for nostalgic reasons, I'd like to set up something very similar, particular around a Transcriptus colony (my favorite). The tank is only a 30g long but i'd like to get some variety into it. So if anyone has these fish for sale soon or in the near future, please let me know.

Any suggestion/advice appreciated. Thanks!

6 Julidochromis transciptus

1-Frontosa 7-band

1 Tropheus (had a Dubosi but any type is fine, i just really like their shape)

4 Shellies (i think momsfishn is setting this up)

1 Calvus or Compressiceps any type

2 (2+?) Cyprichromis any small variety

1 Eretmodus any type

1 Neolamprologus leleupi
tdy
tdy
Fry

Back to top Go down

New to forum, new tank, looking for Tanganyikans! Empty Re: New to forum, new tank, looking for Tanganyikans!

Post  Addictedtofish 2011-04-08, 17:19

On your list for such a small tank I would drop the Frontosa, Tropheus and the Cypri's. Frontosa's which you know generally grow 5-6" there first year and the Tropheus is too hypher and different food than the rest. I have had the remainder of your fish housed together at different times with no problems. The Leleupi's are kind of rough on the shellies and likes to chase the Juli's, and trying to find Cypri's are tough around these parts unless there the jumbo's, plus only having 2 of them would only cause them to be skittish and hide alot since there a schooling fish.
Addictedtofish
Addictedtofish
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

New to forum, new tank, looking for Tanganyikans! Empty Re: New to forum, new tank, looking for Tanganyikans!

Post  Doza 2011-04-08, 18:50

In my experience julidochromis transcriptus arent too hard to find... Wetspot in oregon carries them and I believe they have been ordered on Reserve stock cichlids as well..

I have One transcriptus gombi that needs to go to a new home but being my location and i only have one wouldnt make the trip reasonable.

Nice to see a new face on here.. Welcome to the site!!
Doza
Doza
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-04-08, 21:06

I will be bringing in rarer Malawi and tangayikis into the Seattle area, most fishes will be pre-orders and will be making an order later this,month
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  TerenceH 2011-04-08, 23:22

I know what it is like to have new fish. I was given a pair of Julidochromis Regani. I have maybe 3 or 4 fry in my tank that you can have for FREE. Smile

I also have some Compressiceps Dwarfs. They are only about an inch or so. If you want either let me know.
TerenceH
TerenceH

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-04-24, 05:53

a place for pets in burien should have the transcriptus covered. personally i love your choice. long ago i did something similar that i just loved. try the shellies and maybe 1 comp along with your pair/colony of transcriptus. gl in the hunt.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-05-03, 19:35

Hey there I just joined not too long ago, and Im also trying to turn a 29g into a mini Tanganyikan colony! Im still learning about africans and looking around for fish, so if you find any good deals let me know.
Lamprologus' ocellatus
Julidochromis ornatus
Paracyprichromis nigripinnis or some sort of catfish?
now I think Im liking the compressiceps as well.
I will also let you know if I find anything.
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-05-03, 21:48

I have Neolamprologus Cylindricus and Neolamprologus Helianthus males avail.

New to forum, new tank, looking for Tanganyikans! 096
New to forum, new tank, looking for Tanganyikans! 097
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-05-04, 19:18

those fish look awesome, but after doing a whole 5 min of research they seem like they would be too aggressive to keep with shellies or julies, no?
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-05-04, 20:04

yup pretty much. males just get removed from the breeding group prompting the sale. no offense but maybe offer some females as well? Razz just my two cents. but in singles they would be fine. just would have to substitute the pair out probably. either way place for pets has wat u need.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-05-05, 00:40

The cylindricus are hard to sex, it could be a male or female, I have 3 avail. They are fine with tankmates, they just defend its own territory.

I can be at the GSAS meet to deliver.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down