*Help* Beginner building out my Tanganyikan 75G Tank

4 posters

Go down

*Help* Beginner building out my Tanganyikan 75G Tank Empty *Help* Beginner building out my Tanganyikan 75G Tank

Post  alveyh 2013-05-02, 23:16

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to identify the perfect Tanganyikan Mix, that is both visually appealing and a safe habitat for the fish.

My tank currently has the following residents with vibrant colors and they seem to co-existing quite well.

1 Cyphotilapia Frontosa (Juvie)
2 Neolamprologus Leleupi (Juvies)
2 Neolamprologus Cylindricus (Juvies)

Were raised in separate tanks and were properly paired
5 Julidochromis Marlieri (Adults)
2 Julidochromis Dickfeldi (Adult)

Beginners Mistakes sharing the tank
1 Tropheus Moori (Petsmart Mistake Juvie)
1 Tropheus Duboisi (Petsmart Mistake Juvie)

I am currently feeding New Life Spectrum Wafers and Pellets to meet the needs of all the tank members...

There is plenty of slate to provide shelter(~10 Pieces) and there are two clay pots for the Julies in my 4ft 75 Gallon tank.

I had some interest in adding a colony of 10-12 Tropheus Moorii Moliro (Juvies) and was wondering if this would be a suitable addition to the tank?

With the departure of Reserve Stock Cichlids it has been difficult to find a strong knowledgebase in Upstate NY.

Thank you for your help in advance.
-Alvey

alveyh
Fry

Back to top Go down

*Help* Beginner building out my Tanganyikan 75G Tank Empty Re: *Help* Beginner building out my Tanganyikan 75G Tank

Post  FrontosaDude 2013-05-03, 01:06

I personally would keep tropheus in a species only tank. They will nip the fins of your other fish and with a colony of that size in a 75g they will most likely take over the tank and terrorize your other tangs...and the frontosa may even eat the tropheus when it gets bigger. You should go with another front or 2 and some calvus or comps instead. Frontosa will eat just about anything they can fit in their mouths, but if you raise them together from juvies they should be fine. My fronts, calvus, comps, and julies all hang out together never any problems.

Wafers and pellets can be hard for africans to digest sometimes, especially when they are juvies... you may want to consider switching to spirulina flakes and also mixing their diet up with a variety of frozen foods and even raw vegetables...tropheus are vegans lol! just a heads up in case you go that route
FrontosaDude
FrontosaDude
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

*Help* Beginner building out my Tanganyikan 75G Tank Empty Re: *Help* Beginner building out my Tanganyikan 75G Tank

Post  iandraco 2013-05-03, 08:49

i agree with everything frontosadude said. also your fronts will outgrow that tank. they will need a 6 foot tank to avoid aggression so keep your eyes open for a deal on craigslist. usually 2 species of julies will not coexist and there is a potential for hybrid fry. also the julies and leleupi are both rock dwellers and will be competing for the same territory so watch them close or you may have some losses. if you see fish cowering at the top of the tank get them out of there or they will be killed. also when your fronts get bigger they may be on the dinner menu.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-05-03, 15:11

And I also agree -- except I feed New Life Spectrum pellets to all of my fish, including trophs of all sizes, without any issues. Wink
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  alveyh 2013-05-03, 15:32

Thanks for all of the great feedback!!!

I use the tiny .5mm pellets for the juvies...

The two varieties of Julie's were grown out in separate tanks and do not seem to be inter-mixing.

I will keep an eye out for a larger tank. I might trade in the fronts whenhe/they get larger. Get more juvies and repeat. There seems be a high deman for adult fronts. Use the profits towards that troph. tank.

Thanks again for all of the help!!!

alveyh
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down