a few guppies he said...

4 posters

Go down

a few guppies he said... Empty a few guppies he said...

Post  Paintguy 2013-04-30, 13:47

My buddy is moving and asked if I could take his old tank off his hands. Said he had a few guppies so I was kind of surprised when I got there (looks like about 200). Well I have some feeders for my bichir now and my daughter saved a few for her betta tank. The tank was super murky so I guess all the mess was keeping the breeding going.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

a few guppies he said... Empty Re: a few guppies he said...

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2013-04-30, 15:32

They breed like wildfire!! I had just 1! Pop out 50+ babies.... Uhg. I separated the males from females, but too late. I have 3 more pregnant and 20+ in another tank growing out. Your tank looks good though! We had a store sell us female mosquito fish as guppies... Not so appealing to the eye.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2013-04-30, 16:42

funny thing is my wife cut me off at 4 tanks and this is my 5th. I justify it by saving them and I put it on my work bench out in my shop for now.

I was thinking about removing all but the best looking males and see if I can get a good looking strain going. Just feeder fish, but they have some great color.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-04-30, 23:15

I keep a 30gal guppy tank that was giving me about 20 juvenile males a month to sell. Of course once I hit that point, I sold off everything but the best looking males. Just be prepared for a second tank to use as a growout tank if you are actually interested in pursuing line breeding. I suppose you could also divide the tank and keep less fish overall.

I may be interested in some traits if you wouldn't mind listing some? Or even just saving some of your fish from being food! I do use guppies as feeders, but only deformed ones, and that goes for all fish I breed! lol

And are the guppies in with a male betta? Are they adult guppies or juvies? Juveniles will shred the betta's fins a lot faster, but adults do nip it down over time as well.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2013-05-01, 01:54

I had a male betta in with my male guppies and they nipped him and resulted in fin rot. But a week later he is doing fine. But he isn't with the males now. :/ Some do fine. Some don't. Your wife said you had to stop at 4? Lol Good thing I'm not married. I have 11 myself and my roommate has 5. There are 362.5 gallons between the two of us, and one empty 20 gallon. lol
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-05-01, 16:15

Paintguy wrote:funny thing is my wife cut me off at 4 tanks and this is my 5th.

Haha, this is why I live alone
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down