Question... Yellow African Cichlid?

3 posters

Go down

Question... Yellow African Cichlid? Empty Question... Yellow African Cichlid?

Post  BillHN 2013-03-14, 17:41

Friend said this guy [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Was 4 - 5 inches long and wanted to sell it.

I know it's aggressive as heck though, he killed his mother, father, brothers and sisters. lol

What do you think he would've sold for at that length?
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Question... Yellow African Cichlid? Empty Re: Question... Yellow African Cichlid?

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-03-14, 17:49

That's a beautiful Labidochromis caeruleus. Their temperaments are usually peaceful to mildly aggressive but every fish is different just like people.

Young ones (1-1.5 inches) good quality go for around $7...not sure about larger sizes
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Question... Yellow African Cichlid? Empty Re: Question... Yellow African Cichlid?

Post  Guest 2013-03-14, 21:28

That is surprising that this fish is that aggressive considering the Yellow Labs or "electric yellow" is considered a peaceful fish. I have had about 4 of them with other Mbunas and they were definitely the least aggressive in the tank

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-03-14, 22:24

Thanks! I got the info I needed from here. I'll tell him to try to sell it back to AP lol.
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-03-15, 14:49

My guess is this Lab was not housed properly,and hence it's uncharacteristic aggression.

Meaning either there was not enough other Yellow Labs in the tank with him,or there simply wasn't enough space in the tank for him. Since he was rumored to have killed so many other Labs,I'm gonna vote for lack of tank space.

I wonder just how big was the tank? How many other Labs were in there with him?

In my experience Yellow Labs are Aggressive but not compared to other mbuna.

As far as mbuna go,they are one of only a small group of species which can be housed as a colony rather than a harem. Many mbuna keepers already know that on the aggression scale Labidochromis Caereleus is on the very bottom.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-03-15, 14:53

He does look very nice though!! I would have purchased him in a tick.

Adult mbuna can be priced rather high. I've seen them priced as high as 70$ with the average price of a quality Adult Yellow Lab being around 25 to 35$

They are a very common mbuna species ,but quality specimens who have reached sexual maturity will always have a greater value. Especially to someone looking for a specific gender.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down