Formerly a Nano Reef (not so seriously), now a 90 gallon

4 posters

Go down

Formerly a Nano Reef (not so seriously), now a 90 gallon Empty Formerly a Nano Reef (not so seriously), now a 90 gallon

Post  Squirmteben 2013-02-16, 16:19

I know Gryphon has decided not to do a nano reef. But does anyone have suggestions for how to do one? I know they're far more finicky and prone to disaster, but I live in a small apartment with a limited budget, so I don't have enough space to hold a large SW aquarium or to keep a lot of spare water on hand. I'd like something simple with a clownfish pair and maybe some pretty gobies or damsel.

Last edited by Squirmteben on 2013-03-03, 18:33; edited 1 time in total
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Formerly a Nano Reef (not so seriously), now a 90 gallon Empty Re: Formerly a Nano Reef (not so seriously), now a 90 gallon

Post  Anthraxx 2013-02-16, 18:44

pretty sure damsel's get rather large over time so thats out. you are going to run into issues given its such a small amount of water, i would highly suggest simply developing a small sump (inside a stand or something) even a 10g sump is gonna be helpful in the long run. im also not sure how well a pair of anything would really hold up in such a nano enviornment. most of what ive seen in nanos is maybe 1-2 fish and a bunch of inverts, corals, crabs, etc. i dont mean to shoot u down here, just would suck to spend a bunch of money on livestock to just lose it all after not doing a WC every 2 days or something.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Formerly a Nano Reef (not so seriously), now a 90 gallon Empty Re: Formerly a Nano Reef (not so seriously), now a 90 gallon

Post  Guest 2013-02-16, 18:49

I wouldn't attemp a clown pair in anything less than 30g. I would do a 33% water change each week. Get tons of crabs, smaller snails, and sand sifters (if sand is disired).

Back to top Go down

Post  Squirmteben 2013-02-17, 18:57

Yeah, I was leaning towards a 29g cube or something like that. I think that's the biggest I can go, just based on space. I like the footprint of the cubes, but could I do a 10g refugium/sump underneath one of those self-contained units they're always showing off in the Fish Store on Roosevelt?

Every time I contemplate a SW tank, the idea gets more and more complicated.
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-02-17, 19:03

How about a standard 60g cube? Also have you thought about a rimless cube? Also when your looking for clownfish go to clownfishdepot.com. He has the best for the best price. I can get you in on a group order.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2013-02-17, 19:45

I have a 29g I am selling, already has white sand in it! $25 Smile You would need a new light for an anemone though. it even has a bulkhead for a refugium if you want.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Squirmteben 2013-02-17, 20:20

Something like this?

How much saltwater would I want on hand for a 60g? I don't have much room in my apartment.
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-02-17, 20:43

Kind of, that's not the best quality but it would work. It's not necisarily having water on hand but having the ability to make it quickly. I have a 200gpd RO and Enough salt to do a 33% water change on my 450g.

Back to top Go down

Post  Squirmteben 2013-02-18, 17:59

Here's a 34gallon Solana. It's needs to be cleaned up and is sitting in a garage. Is this a steal of a deal since it comes with everything AND an RO unit?

I hope no ones swipes it out from under me, if that's the case.
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-02-18, 18:24

Go for it. Solana tanks are good quality and are very sleek.

Back to top Go down

Post  Squirmteben 2013-02-19, 02:45

Seller blew me off. I'll keep my eyes open for other cubes that come with a stand and lots of extras. Shocked
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-02-19, 02:54

I know the seller off of reef frontiers and its not like him to not respond. I might be able to get in touch with him if you want.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2013-02-19, 13:29

^^ 100 gallon cube for $100 commercial grade.
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-02-19, 13:58

Ugly stand but still a great deal but remember NANO tank.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2013-02-19, 14:01

Meh, it was still worth posting, its only 6 inches deeper and longer than a 60 cube.
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Squirmteben 2013-02-20, 02:10

@Naso2: Could you put in a good word for me? Maybe I freaked him out by using his name in the text I sent him, even though he didn't tell me his name. But his e-mail address is his name, so who knows.

@Zerc: Wooooah! So that's only 2.5' by 2.5'? I wonder how I'd transport it.
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2013-02-20, 02:12

yup, 30x30 and 24 tall is (almost a cube) like 93 gallons.

it is a lot heavier though.
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Squirmteben 2013-02-20, 02:28

I sent an e-mail and will call in the morning. That's a crazy good deal. I hope I can snag it. Why do these nano ideas always explode into 100 gallon monsters? Oh, I know; they all want a Blue Tang to name Dory.
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Squirmteben 2013-02-20, 21:51

Foiled again. I'll just have to keep my eyes open on Craigslist. I wonder how Gryphon's doing with his search.
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2013-02-20, 21:54

No dice tank wise, but I've not been seriously looking due to just having had to shell out my tank money for my daughter's antibiotics.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-02-21, 20:46

He said you never responded to him. He is sorry but there are like 10 people next in line.

Back to top Go down

Post  Squirmteben 2013-02-21, 21:11

Weird, I sent him two emails and texted him. Maybe they got lost in the craigslist spam.
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Squirmteben 2013-02-22, 22:09

Sorry to hear about your daughter, Gryphon. I hope she feels better.

I snagged a 4 foot 100 gallon (might actually be 90) off CL, so I guess I wasn't too serious about doing a nano.
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down