I (fixed) my Madness spiked water.....

+3
Madness
Salzabar
lloyd378
7 posters

Go down

I (fixed) my Madness spiked water..... Empty I (fixed) my Madness spiked water.....

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-09, 02:30

First I want to say that I have no interest in breeding cichlids. Second, the title says it all. My red isletas (from Madness) had their first successful spawn two weeks ago ( i rescued about 10 babies to raise in my classroom, the rest were munched up by my other fish). Yesterday, I had a strange pair form along side the red isletas in my 125. My male petsmart red texas from JenReuter spawned with my blackbelt( not the female red texas that came with the male). I am not sure if the eggs are actually fertilized( I hope not), but they were guarding them like crazy tonight. If that doesn't just beat all, tonight when I got home from work, i noticed something strange in the tank in the garage: my new midevil is courting my texas cichlid and keeping the other fish at bay. I know that these two are a pair, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to separate them for a couple of months

Here's my question : Do any of you think / believe that Madness' came over and spiked my water while I was at work? lol!

BTW, did I mention that I am not interested in breeding fish?

Last edited by lloyd378 on 2013-02-21, 12:39; edited 2 times in total
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

I (fixed) my Madness spiked water..... Empty Re: I (fixed) my Madness spiked water.....

Post  Salzabar 2013-02-09, 02:39

Barry White works in mysterious ways.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

I (fixed) my Madness spiked water..... Empty Re: I (fixed) my Madness spiked water.....

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-09, 02:43

Salzabar wrote:Barry White works in mysterious ways.

Mr. Barry "Madness" White . Smile
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-02-09, 03:59

I dont ever remember you saying that you werent into breeding. Smile

But I do think that I hit your water with to much Madness, because it made all of your fish confused and horny. Hybrids , hybrids, hybrids. I see lots of food. LOL

scratch a red Texas hybrid and a BB scratch That would be one ugly *** fish. An Amph, Herichthys, and a Vieja. Super Puke
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-02-09, 09:41

No hybrids! Separate those two before they overpopulate your tank with ugly little wigglers. Though the curios part of me would like to see what the fish would look like. scratch
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-09, 12:37

madness wrote:I dont ever remember you saying that you werent into breeding. Smile

But I do think that I hit your water with to much Madness, because it made all of your fish confused and horny. Hybrids , hybrids, hybrids. I see lots of food. LOL

scratch a red Texas hybrid and a BB scratch That would be one ugly *** fish. An Amph, Herichthys, and a Vieja. Super Puke

I thought that I mentioned that in my introductory post (not wanting to breed), but maybe I didn't. Back then I was really into the africans, and was only looking for males.....

and yes, i hope the red texas is infertile, if not, a free snack for the others, followed immediately by an introduction into another tank!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-09, 12:40

DMD123 wrote: No hybrids! Separate those two before they overpopulate your tank with ugly little wigglers. Though the curios part of me would like to see what the fish would look like. scratch

ha ha.... i need more tanks to keep them all separate.....
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-20, 23:57

I eliminated the chance to have future spawns, which should mean a peaceful tank again. I gave one of my good friends my female red isletas (the smaller one) and also the blackbelt (also a female)...... I made the decision to get rid of these two, as they were extremely aggressive even when their eggs weren't present. In fact, that tandem of post part-um female fish(after their eggs mysteriously disappeared) ended up killing all but one of my bristlenose plecos that I had in the 125 with them in the last three days......makes me think that the plecos were responsible for the missing eggs.

BTW, I am still looking for a real glass banger(preferably male) for a solo tank. any leads would be much appreciated. (Dovii, flowerhorn, or....)
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-02-21, 14:53

lloyd378 wrote:I eliminated the chance to have future spawns, which should mean a peaceful tank again. I gave one of my good friends my female red isletas (the smaller one) and also the blackbelt (also a female)...... I made the decision to get rid of these two, as they were extremely aggressive even when their eggs weren't present. In fact, that tandem of post part-um female fish(after their eggs mysteriously disappeared) ended up killing all but one of my bristlenose plecos that I had in the 125 with them in the last three days......makes me think that the plecos were responsible for the missing eggs.

BTW, I am still looking for a real glass banger(preferably male) for a solo tank. any leads would be much appreciated. (Dovii, flowerhorn, or....)

Umbee all the way!!! In the past week my male has radically changed his behavior to being semi docile to now being pissed at anything in or near the tank! A true monster and super personable.

Bring some of that Barry White water my way!

And if you want to get rid of hybrid babies I would love them as feeders for the beast.
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-02-21, 15:03

What size tank for your solo glass banger? The midas that you got from me would make a nice solo fish. Mine is starting to show some orange now in its tail, Im sure your are starting to color up too.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-21, 16:13

Sorry addicted, the eggs disappeared before they hatched out, and i let my fish eat all of the red isletas fry (minus about 8-10 that I caught and brought to my classroom) I would love an umbee, but I really like those black colored ones (gorillas ), which no one has.....

DMD, I am in "negotiations" for a trade for a 110g. I will hopefully be trading both of my glass 55s and my 35 hex. I know a true glass banger will need a bigger tanks than that, but I figured it could be a start until I come across a deal for a larger tank. And yes, both of those Midas have a ton of reddish/orange in their tails. In fact, the larger of the two, is starting to a little orange coloring across his/her whole body.(but not as much as that first one I got from you, unfortunately)
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-02-21, 17:30

No worries man. If you ever have fry of any kind that you need gone just head down the street!

DMD's idea on the Midas is probably better for most people wanting a "wet pet" glass banger type as they don't get massive. I plan on putting my Umbee in a 500-600gal because I'd like to see what they can turn into given the right conditions. I know you can put them in smaller tanks but I don't believe you get to see what they are truly capable of, size and temperament wise.
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-02-21, 17:43

That first one was amazing, intense coloration for sure. Too bad it did not make it. The Midas you have now should develop into some nice orange/white monsters. Im going to put mine in the 210g this weekend and I will probably see a huge growth spurt.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-21, 18:15

here are some pics of the recent I got from you.....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

sorry this last one is so blurry, they are quick little buggers:

lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-02-21, 18:22

That looks just like mine! Copy cat jocolor
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-21, 19:58

haha, copying is the highest form of flattery....

let's see a pic. of yours!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-02-22, 13:45

lloyd378 wrote:haha, copying is the highest form of flattery....

let's see a pic. of yours!

Here you go:

Oh wait thats yours, mine looks just like it! Talk about copy cat. tongue
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-22, 21:07

Here is one of them today.....

Just kidding,
I actually picked this one up from a kid yesterday, after heading over to his place to see how one of my Dovii/Texas hybrids looked like as a mature fish. (and for everyone shaking their heads in disapproval, no I didn't sell these hybrids. I was persuaded about two years ago to bring one of them(for free) to a member of a.p. who said he wanted it for his personal tank..... turns out that it was sold from the shop like a day later) ;-(

BTW MADNESS, I was also able to see an adult female dovii that he said he got from you. It was mated up to a nice blue male that was apparently from a batch of fry from the pair at a.p. she was beautiful!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-02-22, 21:25

lloyd378 wrote:Here is one of them today.....

Just kidding,
I actually picked this one up from a kid yesterday, after heading over to his place to see how one of my Dovii/Texas hybrids looked like as a mature fish. (and for everyone shaking their heads in disapproval, no I didn't sell these hybrids. I was persuaded about two years ago to bring one of them(for free) to a member of a.p. who said he wanted it for his personal tank..... turns out that it was sold from the shop like a day later) ;-(

BTW MADNESS, I was also able to see an adult female dovii that he said he got from you. It was mated up to a nice blue male that was apparently from a batch of fry from the pair at a.p. she was beautiful!

Thanks, I dont want to talk about. I have offered that kid another WC female and $100 to get that female back and he wont budge. He is crossing a Costa rican gold female with a nic blue male. So I dont want to hear it. Very Happy Can you tell that I am frustrated with that topic? Wink
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-22, 21:50

madness wrote:
Thanks, I dont want to talk about. I have offered that kid another WC female and $100 to get that female back and he wont budge. He is crossing a Costa rican gold female with a nic blue male. So I dont want to hear it. Very Happy Can you tell that I am frustrated with that topic? Wink

Yikes, didn't know that! sorry for bringing up such a touchy subject!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-02-22, 22:24

Its all cool. I just vented. The kid has just been a complete flake. Some times we run into people like this, the type that just rubs you wrong in every way.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-02-23, 19:11

Not to rail on Dominic as he is a great guy, the amount of hybrids in that store are truly a reason to vomit ! His freshwater section is pretty much hybrid infested at this point. I understand that they sell and he has a business to run but The fact that he now has a constant source for a few different types ( i believe "hoffas" and red tiger/dovii mixes) is terrible as these will quickly infiltrate the market and create even MORE hybrids! If it were up to me a giant tub of clove oil and a massive net would do just fine! Sorry for the rant, I truly dislike hybrids tho!
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-02-23, 19:38

its unfortunately the reason i stopped making the trek out there. too many hybrids and unknown fish to take a chance (especially for the price there). i remember once i saw a cyp of some kind in there for 100$ (some black neon or some BS) anyways sry to tag onto the rant but the only way to stop places like this is to stop going there. saltwater theyre amazing but they need to just get outta freshwater.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-23, 23:26

unfortunately, the kid I got that midevil from who had bought my old texas/dovii (accidental hybrid from a poorly stalked tank of mine a few years ago before I really understood the differences in male vs. female ) would not sell it to me. Instead he is trying to get it to breed with a female texas of his . I would love to have it back and it could live with some other males in my house (and thus preventing any more hybrids)....., but he isn't willing to part with it(I kinda think because I want it)
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-02-24, 13:10

Is that the same kid madness has tried to deal with? I know he he goes off when the subject comes up! Maybe not the type of person that is pleasant to deal with!

Sorry for derailing to the hybrid topic lloyd, quite an irritating topic for me and others on here when it comes up!

I agree Anthraxx. I let them know about a way to reach a bigger customer base in the freshwater department by basically redoing the fresh and bringing in a sizeable order of healthy, colorful cichlids from rapps or the like. I said they may be amazed at the new types/amount of people that come in if that were to happen. As of late I have been unable to buy fish that I really don't know the history. Well, hybrids are here to stay so the best I can do to help is get in on group orders on here to KNOW I am getting awesome quality fish and if I breed them I will be putting pure, quality fish into the hobby, like most breeders on here.

Cheers to the fishbox breeders! cheers
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-24, 22:30

Yes, same kiddo. no worries on derailing. I enjoy the discussion as I am not opposed to hybrids completely. In fact, I even own 3 (but with zero plans to breed) and they definitely fill a niche in the hobby. I also enjoy looking at them and trying to guess what the parents are. But I also feel sad that the hobby is going toward having to collect your own fish from the wild, or special ordering them from select vendors to actually get the fish that you want.....

Addicted, I also would love to have a LFS that was a direct importer of Rapps fish, or the other reputable sources that seem to be sprinkled along the east coast and florida.....until then, I will just buy from people on here that are trustworthy.

thanks for the good discussion. I have enjoyed this thread!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-02-25, 11:48

lloyd378 wrote:Yes, same kiddo. no worries on derailing. I enjoy the discussion as I am not opposed to hybrids completely. In fact, I even own 3 (but with zero plans to breed) and they definitely fill a niche in the hobby. I also enjoy looking at them and trying to guess what the parents are. But I also feel sad that the hobby is going toward having to collect your own fish from the wild, or special ordering them from select vendors to actually get the fish that you want.....

Addicted, I also would love to have a LFS that was a direct importer of Rapps fish, or the other reputable sources that seem to be sprinkled along the east coast and florida.....until then, I will just buy from people on here that are trustworthy.

thanks for the good discussion. I have enjoyed this thread!

Exactly! People think that ordering from Rapps or the like for a business order is far too expensive. I say if his prices and shipping are more than reasonable for me, they most certainly will be for a business! It's worth a shot and I'm still not done bugging him about it! If all the breeders on the Box got together we could essentially create a west coast faction of Rapps/Gauges' operation! hehe

Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-02-25, 22:27

sigh, no mention of awesome african breeders Sad
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-02-26, 01:17

Anthraxx wrote:sigh, no mention of awesome african breeders Sad

sorry, I tried my hand at African's last summer /fall, but unfortunately wasn't my cup of tea (I apparently had low quality fish). But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate the chance to have local breeders in the area with high quality Africans to fill one of my empty tanks.

Maybe we can talk Aquarium Co-Op into opening a second store in Tacoma that focused on CA/ SA ,and also African cichlids.....that could be a win-win for all of us!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  tayntdawg 2013-02-27, 07:45

Iam down lets open a store! We can call it the Fish box. ....lol.. but for real lets do it
tayntdawg
tayntdawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down