Anyone raising shrimp with neon tetras?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone raising shrimp with neon tetras? Empty Anyone raising shrimp with neon tetras?

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-12-09, 16:02

Newbie here. I am wondering whether it is possible to grow a shrimp colony in a tank with neon tetras? I have a live 55 gal. planted tank. TIA

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Anyone raising shrimp with neon tetras? Empty Re: Anyone raising shrimp with neon tetras?

Post  Salzabar 2012-12-09, 16:42

I don't like to mix shrimp with tetras of any kind due to the nippy habbits tetras have. But, I have had shrimp and tetras together in a 55 gallon well planted tank. Unfortunatly my shrimp didn't breed until I removed the tetras. A week later my shrimps had eggs. So just on my experience I would say no. I currently have Guppys with my shrimps in the same 55 gallon tank and both breed crazy amounts. Might be because they like the same water but not sure about that.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Anyone raising shrimp with neon tetras? Empty Re: Anyone raising shrimp with neon tetras?

Post  cuashidor3 2012-12-09, 18:33

I have a 20 long gallon planted tank with RCS malawa shrimp and neon tetras 2 of my RCS breed last week haven't noticed any lost have a lot of java moss to cover baby shrimp thoe.
cuashidor3
cuashidor3
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gizmo 2012-12-12, 13:20

I have a ten gallon with 30 RCS and 5 neon tetras, along with 1 guppy. 2 months after getting the shrimp, I have babies everywhere. Even if the tetras scarf a baby every now and then, the rest are great at hiding and there are a ton of them.

Get some moss or other very leafy plants (like baby tears, dwarf sag, camboba), so they can have lots of hiding places and you should be fine.
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2012-12-13, 17:25

I have a 55 gallon tank that has a bunch of community fish (Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, a Dwarf Gourami, some Danios, etc)

And about 10 Red Cherry Shrimp got into the tank (I didn't mean to, because those shrimp were meant for an invertebrate-only tank.) They've since then multiplied and there are Red Cherry Shrimp all around the tank, it's pretty amazing, because I've heard stories of community fish eating the shrimp, I guess I've just been lucky, OR... that the shrimp are producing and populating the tank at a faster rate than the fish can consume. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down