Aqua Durt Substrate

3 posters

Go down

Aqua Durt  Substrate Empty Aqua Durt Substrate

Post  Tengun 2012-10-14, 19:33

Does anyone have any experience (or info - good or bad) with AquaDurt sold by Aquariumplants.com? I am looking to swap out the white gravel that came with a tank I recently purchased from GL and want to go with black. This is a planted tank so when comparing prices on Eco Complete and CaribSea Tahitian Moon Reef & Marine Substrate, Aquariumplant.com's AquaDurt (black) looks great on paper - significantly cheaper (with cheap shipping and no tax).

I have Eco Complete black sand in my other planted tank and love it, but this tank will have a small heard of clown loaches. I tried dropping 4 of the loaches in that planted 180 gallon aquarium and it took them a few hours to turn the tank from crystal clear to zero visibility with their digging and general neuroticness.

So, I am mentally sold on giving it a try and picking up 6 gallon bucket of Black Diamond Auqudurt for $81 shipped - just wanted do see if anyone else has it running in a planted tank and they are happy with it.

Thanks!

GHETTO NEWBIE PROBATION LINK - aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm

Tengun
Fry

Back to top Go down

Aqua Durt  Substrate Empty Re: Aqua Durt Substrate

Post  pbmax 2012-10-15, 16:55

I did some research on this stuff a while back before I put my 4th tank together. From what I learned, it's pretty much the same as Turface Pro-League, stuff made for baseball infields. So I bought some of that instead! Smile It's a clay type substrate that's pretty much neutral as far as PH and nutrients so it doesn't mess with your water.

The only problem was I couldn't find it in black (they don't make it anymore, I don't think), so I bought the normal infield color turface. That tank's been running for years now with great plant growth and very few issues - hardly any algae at all.

My only complaint is that the stuff is pretty light so it's hard to convince plants to stay in place; A sand cap might help there. Once they grow some roots you're fine, but it's a mess early on.

And rinse it really, really well! My tank was cloudy for a while, even after rinsing a dozen times or more before I filled the tank.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tengun 2012-10-16, 14:13

pbmax,

How do you think that Turface Pro-League would do with larger neurotic bottom fish like clown loachs? The proposed tank will be planted and have around 15 loachs (various size and species). Take a look at the pics I posted in my introduction thread and you'll see what just 4 loachs did to my planted black sand tank.

I did a little deeper digging and the only complaints people were having confirmed what you are saying - that it is very light, so it might not be the good choice for me.

Tengun
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-10-16, 15:02

I think they'd thoroughly enjoy remodeling such a tank. Smile It's larger grain, but lighter than sand.

Perhaps clown loaches aren't a good fit for a planted tank? Someone else would have to comment here as I generally keep fish 2" and smaller.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Pathfinder 2012-12-25, 23:56

I bought 8 gallons of their substrate and IMHO, It's junk. I eventualy removed it due to dissatisfaction. My new substrate is ADA Aquasoil capped with sand for better results and also ferts.

Last edited by Pathfinder on 2012-12-26, 00:40; edited 2 times in total

Pathfinder
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-12-26, 00:39

I'm using a mix of fluorite sand and gravel in my planted 140. Approx 150lbs of it. I've raised 5 Clownloaches to 5-6 inches. They do okay. My lobster reeks more havoc on my plants than the clowns.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down