Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer HELP...

+3
dwarfpike
fishNAbowl
PokeSephiroth
7 posters

Go down

Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer HELP... Empty Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer HELP...

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-05, 00:17

So, I have this little uv sterilizer in my 20 long, and it has always baffled me as to why they have the water just shooting downwards, rather than out and across the tank, or had some kind of spraybar attachment to it... so, what I did, was cut out a piece of plastic from a soda bottle, and turned it into a little "diffuser" so to speak, so that the angle of the water would shoot outwards, instead of just straight down...

Unfortunately, that isn't the best fix, because it ends up falling off, and I've tried various ways of keeping it on (tying it, using a rubber bad, etc...) . . . I was curious if anyone could help me find a way to make a spraybar or some kind of water diffuser that would allow the water to spray outwards, instead of downwards. Here's a picture of the product itself (not my pictures, mind you) . . .

What makes it difficult is that the outflow is in the shape of a rectangle, rather than your typical "circle" or "tubed shape" . . . which makes it difficult trying to create something into fitting it properly... ugh... heeeelp.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer HELP... Empty Re: Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer HELP...

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-05, 00:34

If I was trying to change the shape of the out put of something like this I would probably choose the diameter tubing I wanted , or find a tube that just fits over the top of the rectangle. Then use hot glue to fill in the gaps. If you are not comfortable with hot glue applications and aquariums you could leave a little bit of space to cap with silicone.  The hot glue will hold the tube, seal the gaps, and the tube will allow you to attach any tube you want.

You might be able to use soft plastic tubing /hose and zip tie it tight onto the rectangle end. This in turn will allow you to attach something tubular like a spray bar set up. Or quite simply attach an elbow to direct flow outward. You then could adjust water output/ spray by heating up the plastic or PVC elbow and flatten the end with pliers or something.

^ Just the 1st thoughts that popped into my head Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer HELP... Empty Re: Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer HELP...

Post  dwarfpike 2014-06-05, 00:39

Also possibly heating the end of the tubing so that you can force it around the square, then as it hardens/cools it would stay put?
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  discus_2013 2014-06-05, 23:31

I thought uv sterilizers were supposed to run very slow... in which case the output shouldn't be strong enough to disturb anything.
discus_2013
discus_2013
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-06, 00:47

They are supposed to be slow. But that's the only source of water flow in that tank. So I'd rather have the water flowing out rather than just downwards, regardless if how weak the output is.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! :-)
I'm still open for more ideas though! Keep em coming!! Hehe
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-06-06, 09:54

I know you already have this unit but....if it's not doing what you want/need maybe you should, buy (yes I know some people hate buying things) a HOB with built in UV. This will solve all your concerns. Just wanted to mention the easier fix.
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-06, 12:28

Sure if you give me the money to buy it hahaha.

I actually just received this uv sterilizer for free from a friend because she didn't know how to use it. So I figured I might as well make the most of it and put it to good use. :-)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-06-06, 17:19

What about something like this?

You would have to pop off the part that attaches to a round pipe and then use the side hole as a pivot point and then drill some small holes and then use some nylon screws.... Not sure if size would be the same just shooting an idea out there.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-07, 12:49

Ooh I have a ton of those and I've tried using them before, unfortunately they don't fit at all on the sterilizer. That was actually one of the first things I tried before cutting up a soda bottle lol!

Maybe I just need to make some sort of adapter for it TO fit properly. I will have to give that another try Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  CMooreCichlids 2014-06-07, 15:37

Poke can you provide some pics of the end you're trying to modify? The manufacturer pics that were posted aren't very clear.
CMooreCichlids
CMooreCichlids
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-08, 20:11

Sure thing! Sorry I didn't reply sooner... Smile

Here's a picture of the output thinger.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-09, 06:59

PokeSephiroth wrote:

Modification would include cutting the side plastic supports back at lest a half inch. Then the use of a rubber, nylon, or plastic hose with a tight fit worked onto the end. The hose can be secured on with a hose clamp or zip tie. You then would be able to attach anything you want from there.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-09, 11:35

where is my conblasted dremel tool when I need it?! UGH... =P
That sounds do-able, if I could just find my dremel tool. LOL!! Thanks, fishNAbowl Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-09, 14:06

Spot On piece of cake!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-09, 14:10

In theory. Hahahaha
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-11, 23:15

Welp...here's the finished modification. I used some leftover tubing from my cascade canister filter, and then used the outflow thingy from a fluval 204 canister filter. Putting the tubing on the UV sterilizer was a PAIN...even when heated it up. But it wasn't impossible! Hah. Works like a charm now! Thanks for the tips, everyone! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-12, 00:25

AWESOME!!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-06-12, 08:46

Good job!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down