Fluorite, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, or Akadama for substrate?

+2
hobbyorobsession
Gizmo
6 posters

Go down

Fluorite, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, or Akadama for substrate? Empty Fluorite, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, or Akadama for substrate?

Post  Gizmo 2012-09-19, 11:54

Looking at possibly overhauling my tank if this damned bout of Ich won't go away, and I'm thinking about changing the substrate. Of the three listed above, which do you think is the best as far as shrimp/plant friendly, price, and/or availability?

Plant list: Willow hygro, anubias nana, ludwigia repens, anachris, java fern, java moss, camboba

Shrimps: Red cherry shrimp

Thanks for your input!
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Fluorite, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, or Akadama for substrate? Empty Re: Fluorite, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, or Akadama for substrate?

Post  hobbyorobsession 2012-09-19, 12:19

If you use the fluval stratum put down a layer of sand first. The material is very light and doesnt compact so plants up root very easily.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Fluorite, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, or Akadama for substrate? Empty Re: Fluorite, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, or Akadama for substrate?

Post  Gizmo 2012-09-19, 12:23

I will! Thanks for the tip Smile
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-09-19, 19:28

I have shrimp and plants thriving in pure sand, Aquasoil Amazonia 2, and Turface Pro League, eco-complete, and soil + pool filter sand substrates. Most of your plants are stem-feeders which really don't require much from a substrate other than something to hold them in place.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  flo77 2012-09-19, 20:38

I would avoid using anubias in a shrimp tank.

flo77

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-09-20, 00:17

flo77 wrote:I would avoid using anubias in a shrimp tank.

why is that?
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-09-20, 10:13

This thread sums up the topic pretty well, I think.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  flo77 2012-09-20, 11:51

I've read an article where they said that a cut or broken anubias or Crypt rhizome may leach toxic substances for shrimp. A lot of people don't agree with that but I choose to be safe than sorry.

flo77

Back to top Go down

Post  Gizmo 2012-09-20, 11:58

Thanks for the input guys! Since I also *happen* to have a Bonsai tree, I think I'll give the Akadama a shot, with a bottom layer of pool filter sand.
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-09-20, 13:41

strange..i have a monster size anubia with palm size leaves in my 25g tiger shrimp tank...the plant takes over half the tank.

good to know ill do some research.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-09-20, 14:31

I dont know..i have been researching this for a little while now..its suppose to be Oxalic acid

witch is found in spinach and allot of other veggies that we feed our shrimp already

seems to only be a potential problem when in small tanks and cutting it up in the tank or just before placing it in the tank?.
read threw the links they are very interesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have yet to find readings on what amounts the anubia and crypts have in them.

Amaranth 1.09
Asparagus .13
Beans, snap .36
Beet leaves .61
Broccoli .19
Brussels sprouts .36
Cabbage .10
Carrot .50
Cassava 1.26
Cauliflower .15
Celery .19
Chicory .21
Chives 1.48
Collards .45
Coriander .01
Corn, sweet .01
Cucumbers .02
Eggplant .19
Endive .11
Garlic .36
Kale .02
Lettuce .33
Okra .05
Onion .05
Parsley 1.70
Parsnip .04
Pea .05
Pepper .04
Potato .05
Purslane 1.31
Radish .48
Rutabaga .03
Spinach .97
Squash .02
Sweet potato .24
Tomato .05
Turnip .21
Turnip greens .05
Watercress .31
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-09-20, 16:19

I've never had a problem with shrimp and anubias either and I'm not sure I've read a first hand account of anyone who has.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2012-09-21, 00:09

I'm with pbmax with this one. Anubias and Cherry Shrimp seem to work very well with one another.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down