Shells from the beach ... safe for Freshwater

4 posters

Go down

Shells from the beach ... safe for Freshwater Empty Shells from the beach ... safe for Freshwater

Post  cichlidlovers98513 2012-05-29, 13:27

Has anyone picked up shells of the beach to use in their freshwater aquarium? My kids bring them home all the time.. and I was thinking putting them in the 20 gallon I want to set up for them... If so any recommendation on preparing them for the tank..

Thanks Guys..
cichlidlovers98513
cichlidlovers98513
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Shells from the beach ... safe for Freshwater Empty Re: Shells from the beach ... safe for Freshwater

Post  fishloverRon 2012-05-29, 13:31

When I use them I scrub them good with vinegar water. Kinda fizzes off the outer layer of the shell. Since they are from saltwater I never expect any parasites that would infect freshwater inhabitants. They will leach calcium into your water, possibly increasing hardness and alkalinity though. Regular water changes should keep that under control.

It's another good way to bring nature inside and keep kids interested in natural things.
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Shells from the beach ... safe for Freshwater Empty Re: Shells from the beach ... safe for Freshwater

Post  fishloverRon 2012-05-29, 13:32

PS....Don't forget to rinse them well after using the vinegar water!
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlidlovers98513 2012-05-29, 13:36

Thanks FishloverRon... Very Happy
cichlidlovers98513
cichlidlovers98513
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-05-29, 19:40

give them a good soak to get any salt off of them and scrub them up and you should be fine!
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-05-29, 22:51

I wouldn't want to put shells in my tanks unless the fish are meant to live in hard water. Smaller tanks will have more rapid fluctuations in the params too. So I think a couple shells would be okay but I wouldn't full out cram the tank with them.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down