sandnuka
hobbyorobsession
aquaman95
InfamousRedlineZ
8 posters

Go down

Arowana and Flowerhorn and Oscar Empty Arowana and Flowerhorn and Oscar

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2012-04-18, 02:18

Hey guys. Im planning on building a tank for my parents but Im not to sure one what I can put together for them. Ive done research and I got a lot of good information but I would like to hear some good advice from my fellow forum members. They like arowana, flowerhorn, and oscars. What I would like to know have anyone kept them together before? What do you think the aggression level would be for them? If I was to keep just a arowana what would be the best tank mate for the arowana? If I was to keep flowerhorn by itself how many may I keep? and does anyone know where to find nice cheap arowana or flowerhorn? prefer for frys or juvie.

What I was planning on keeping in the tank:

A: Arowana and Discus (Planted Tank)
B: Arowana and a couple Flowerhorns
C: 2-3 Flowerhorns and 2 Oscars

InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Arowana and Flowerhorn and Oscar Empty Re: Arowana and Flowerhorn and Oscar

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-18, 02:30

tanks size? oscars are friendly in a 75 gallon or larger and raised with other fish just my experiance not all fish are the same.flowerhorns have ALL different with different types of personality,size and color so it depends on what strain of hybrid really.
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2012-04-18, 02:33

Im planning on getting a 75 or bigger until they are about to out grow the tank. Im looking to get one of those super red dragon flowerhorn.
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2012-04-18, 02:40

I wouldn't put an Arowana in anything smaller than a six foot tank. I've kept them in a 6 foot tank with adult Severums and Synodontis catfish with no issues. and honestly that seemed small for an arowana and other adult sized fish.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2012-04-18, 02:43

I know once the arowana start growing bigger im planning to move it into a 7ft + tank but as of right now Im trying find what was be the best to keep with my list. Im really leaning with the arowana and discus planted tank but I would like to hear more of what other people would think.
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-18, 04:27

almost all the flowerhorn I have seen are usually super aggessive.... breeders usually have a difficult time gettin them to spawn with mates because there just too aggressive.... Best place to get flowerhorn locally is china town in seattle.... you can go down and check them out, they are crazy aggressive, tap the glass and watch them go crazy!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-18, 07:52

Or get ahold of bill the flowerhorn guy up there best prices and quality over there.At least this is what i have heard.Those can get pretty spendy i have seen some for like $3000 At 5-6 inches and some for 80$ full size.And its better to get the aro in a tank already big enough for life if you want full length.I would not get one they just get really big are prone to disease and ive never seen a large one with personality i think they act like shiny sticks in the water after 5 inches.But if you must get an arowana just think if you lay down the fish it is half if not more of your body length do you really wanna deal with the possibility of ever moving this or when it dies and you have to bury something the size of a dog but covered in mucus.(not saying you will make it die but all fish do)
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2012-04-18, 09:09

Personally i would say not to do a tank with the 3 fish you've mentioned.. Like said above Flowerhorns are generally mean as hell and would more than likely kill everything in the tank.. Oscars might work with an arowana but be ready to sell or give it away if it starts picking on the aro.. As far as a tank i'd start out with a bigger tank than a 75, that tank is too small for a Oscar by itself. I'd go with a 125 to start at the minimum. If you can spring for a bigger tank do that now rather than having to upgrade later. I did the whole upgrade as the fish gets bigger routine and it's a pain. Plus it's way cheaper to go big now rather than buying and selling tanks off..
With an aro they need the swimming room, so go with a 6 foor tank or bigger.
As for fish i'd check China town, you can find small aro's, and Flowerhorns down there any day of the week.
Also if you do decide to go with the 3 fish you've mentioned get a Jardini, it's the only aro that stands a chance with the 2 cichlids..
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2012-04-18, 23:34

Thanks guys for all of your opinion. I really think Im narrowing down to arowana and discus planted tank or flowerhorn and oscars. Now just got to go on a hunt for a 120+ 6ft+. =D
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Fish Addict 2012-04-19, 00:06

I am not by any means an expert but I am pretty sure arowana and discus shouldn't be kept together since arowana might eat the pretty discus as an expensive snack
Fish Addict
Fish Addict
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-04-19, 00:30

If I were looking for a single wet pet, I would look at an Oscar or Flowerhorn. Easy to care for, very owner responsive and not needing a huge tank. A 75g would house one quite comfortably and not be a hard tank to maintain. With an Aro you will require a big tank, not just length of 6ft plus but it really needs to be at least 30in or wider to house them comfortably, if we are talking a silver or black.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-04-19, 02:30

Aq. Paradise just picked up a Silver Aro. That sucker is easy 3'+ long. If it will fit into its mouth, it will eat it. And Aro's mouths open quite wide. Plus you dont want the Discus, Oscars, FH to nip at the Aro either. Good luck, but IMO, your combinations just dont seem like any of them will work.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2012-04-19, 03:31

Im not sure about the flowerhorn and oscar and as for the arowana and discus, I have seen many videos where they all do fine together and I am still doing more research before I take a dive at it. I dont want to see no fish dying specially my own and my parents present. Thanks for everyone opinion and I would love to hear more if you any one else got some. Thanks again
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down