Bolivian Rams Breeding

4 posters

Go down

Bolivian Rams Breeding Empty Bolivian Rams Breeding

Post  Danrobnett 2012-04-17, 22:15

OOPS...I got home from work today to notice my male Bolivian Ram was being really aggressive to his tank mates (10 Rummy Nose Tetra, 3 Silver Tip Tetra, 1 small long fin albino pleco, and 12 small (1") cacatuoides, 55 gal tank). Once I took a closer look I saw a cloud of free swimming fry under him. Fortunately I have a fresh hatch of brine because my wife's mollies had babies (~50)...again... Since I wasn't expecting the fry (water quality not so good pH 7.6, DH ~40, Temp. 79f, ammonia 0.25, nitrates and nitrites 0)I'm at a loss for what to do. He is not sharing parenting duties with the female and chases her away with as much if not more aggression than any other fish in the tank. I was hoping for them to breed in the future once I got the water quality under control and had them in a separate tank but I think I missed the mark. Does anyone have advice how to proceed from here? confused

Thanks,
Dan

Danrobnett
Fry

Back to top Go down

Bolivian Rams Breeding Empty Re: Bolivian Rams Breeding

Post  sidekicking 2012-04-17, 23:19

Why dont you give them their own tank
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-18, 00:09

Plus One can we see picture's
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-18, 04:24

thats sometimes is normal when only one parent takes care of the kids... my male GBR was the same, he was the best parent ever...
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Danrobnett 2012-04-18, 21:09

Well, I returned home from work today and there are no babies left with the male. It seems the stress was too much and all the babies with him were gone. Or maybe you could say his hunger got the best of him and fresh sushi was on his menu scratch . I have read that it is not unusual for the parents to eat the first one or two sets when they start breeding so can I assume this is normal behavior? On the positive side, shortly after I posted yesterday the stress was too much for me so I took the siphon hose to them and filled my five gallon hospital tank with water from the main tank and I saved around twenty of them. I would post pics of them but they are clustered in a corner of the five and are no larger than small fruit flies (I don't have a camera with good enough resolution to take a pic you would be able to see them in. I will post pics in the future on this thread as they start to grow). Thanks to all of you that responded your help is truly appreciated. My wife just signed us up with the GSAS and I look forward to meeting at least some of you in the near future.

Dan

Danrobnett
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down