How do I save my Dojo's from Ich???

+2
Ratlova30
keri_75
6 posters

Go down

How do I save my Dojo's from Ich??? Empty How do I save my Dojo's from Ich???

Post  keri_75 2012-01-24, 17:44

My tank got Ich and I've raised my temp up to 76 degrees, it has killed all my fish except my 2 Dojo's of 5 years. I'm using two heaters and not sure I can get it up more than 78 degrees. I'm on my 3rd dose of Microbe-Lift natural medication. PLEASE help me, I can't lose my babies!!!! Sad I just found an aeration stone and put it in, I'm scared to raise temp. too high but also scared not to raise it enough. In addition it says add salt but Dojo's I hear don't like it!!!

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

How do I save my Dojo's from Ich??? Empty Re: How do I save my Dojo's from Ich???

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-24, 18:09

I have a thread in the disease section called best ick cure I think. It's worth the read and I think there's a couple suggestions of fish meds on there too from different users. A lot of species of fish that do no do well in salt can still be in a mild amount of salt. Even if it's not enough to take care of the parasites it will help keep the wounds the parasites leave from getting infected. Go read that thread though and read the part about the importance of gravel vacuuming. I hope the best for you, it's very very stressful I know. Keep us updated.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

How do I save my Dojo's from Ich??? Empty Re: How do I save my Dojo's from Ich???

Post  keri_75 2012-01-24, 18:19

Ratlova30 I saw your other post but my friend at fish store just told me not to add salt, I'm already using a natural medication because they are loaches. I added aeration and turned the lights out. He said this could also help.

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-24, 19:37

I don't think 1tbsp per gallon will hurt, lots of people have used the salt method with various species of loaches. But it's up to you and I hope everything works out.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-24, 20:02

Salt is one of the safest ways to deal with this. You are only using salt for a short treatment time so there are no long term effects.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-24, 20:25

I'm using a more natural medication because they are Dojo's. One friend said use some salt and the other said don't mix more than one natural med./salt. I'm confused on what to do because I don't want to dilute the already more natural medication!!! Thank you so much for your help, much appreciated!!! Keri

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-24, 20:31

What's this more natural medicine called?

Because salt is not a chemical I have high doubts it would neutralize whatever you're using like carbon media does. I've read that many people still use some salt in their tank while they are medicating with a chemical because the salt aids in healing. If what you're using is working terrific Smile just curious as to what you are using.

Keep up on gravel vacs.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-24, 20:40

The medication is called Microbe-Lift Herbtana by Herbal Actives I believe is the name of company.

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-24, 20:55

I have them in 20 gal. tank and so I added 1 teaspoon of salt per 5 gallons instead of 1 Tablespoon. Now my biggest guy seems like he's going crazy and breathing hard!!!

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-24, 21:24

Just read the back round on the stuff and some reviews. I haven't used this stuff personally so I can't tell you if it solves the problem of ich better then salt does. But here's my thoughts on it

The description says that it will help reduce the parasites by strengthening their immune system so that parasites "can't attack" and will eventually starve to death. The thing I like about salt is that it will kill them when they hatch into the free swimming stage. With microbe-lift it allows the parasite to live until it starves so it says. Microbe-lift sounds a lot like a form of antibiotic to me and antibiotics are only useful on healing the fish after the parasites are eliminated.

Unfortunately with ich it will hit several times because while they are in the cyst form, either on the fish or on the ground nothing can kill it. So what I would be worried about with microbe lift, if it does work on eradicating the ich, is that the treatment wouldn't go on long enough because you're not actually killing them when they reach free swimming stage, just allowing them to live til the starve which takes a lot longer to deal with the problem.

As you read in my thread the parasites stopped attaching to my fish after 3 days but that's only because the parasites were being killed off by the salt as soon as they hatched. I kept up the salt treatment for so long because waves of cysts were continuing to hatch, but they just couldn't get very far with the salt.

I don't know, the fish are going to be very stressed no matter what from the parasites, salt reduces the time they are stressed by leaps and bounds(as do some proven chemical meds but salt is natural).

Anyone else have input on this? But like I said before if it works for you and it's comfortable for you then go with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edited: one teaspoon per 5gals is "nothing" and shouldn't be eliciting such a response from the loach. It's already stressed from the parasites and the heat. The heat is taking oxygen from the water(and dojo are used to oxygen rich water) I'd suggest upping the air in your tank. It's your call, if you think they're affected by the salt do a water change. My goldfish after two days started to act like they were gasping for air, as soon as I added a couple more air pumps to the tank they bounced back fast.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-24, 21:55

They have calmed down now, so probably me overreacting to a bout of energy!!! I added an aeration pump that I remebered I had earlier today. So tomorrow I might add a little more salt. Also my friend said not to do water changes and everyone else says to!!! It's soooo hard when I get so many different answers. I'm more stressed than my fish (I'm drinking) LOL

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-24, 22:12

keri_75 wrote:They have calmed down now, so probably me overreacting to a bout of energy!!! I added an aeration pump that I remebered I had earlier today. So tomorrow I might add a little more salt. Also my friend said not to do water changes and everyone else says to!!! It's soooo hard when I get so many different answers. I'm more stressed than my fish (I'm drinking) LOL

I completely understand, I had severe stomach cramps and migraines for two weeks when my goldfish came down with ich(my comet is very dear to me) Does the instructions on the microbe instruct you to not do a water change?

To put it simply if you're not doing water changes you are not removing unhatched cysts from the substrate thus allowing them to hatch and mingle with the fishes, thus making the ordeal last longer. Not doing frequent water changes also increases the risk of the fish getting an infection where the parasites were sucking off of because the water is not being kept pristine. Personally, if I can't do water changes I'm not a happy camper. Out of all the methods people prefer I think we can all agree on the fact that the water needs to be kept as clean as possible and there's only one way to do that...

If the bottle says water changes need to be done then start doing them and just replace the meds that were removed when you did a water change.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-24, 22:52

I will vacuum and do water change tomorrow then before I add the next dose of meds!!!! Should I only do a 25 percent change??? and how often should I change the water after that?? punk haha

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-24, 23:03

25% will be fine. I do gravel vacs everyday when the fish are sick and when they're in the process of healing. What was the bottles instructions on water changes?
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-24, 23:11

There are no instructions as far as water changes. My friend said not to, and you and everyone else say to do them so I will!!!

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-24, 23:16

I wouldn't buy a product without instructions on water changes because of the importance of doing water changes. Weird. Keep us updated.

Last edited by Ratlova30 on 2012-01-24, 23:54; edited 1 time in total
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-24, 23:30

I think I'm losing my smaller loach. It is really covered with crud and is really lethargic, I thought it had died. I"m trying to stay positive but I'm also so mad. It has cost me 26 bucks and counting, not considering the attachment to my fish. I"ve never had this and got it from a store, you'd think I would get more than a credit for the fish they sold me!!! I've gone to them for years.

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-24, 23:56

how many days have you been using this?
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-25, 00:32

I've been using for 3 days and now between all the crap I did today I'm pretty sure my smaller loach will be dead by morning!!!!!Coulda shoula woulda now the harm is done!!!

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-01-25, 02:18

I know I am jumping in late, but just want to add a few things. Everything Ratlova told you is spot on.

My question is, why cant you get a heater in a 20 gal to get the temp up around 80? The medicine you are using is an herbal med like melafix. It could work but I wouldnt hold my breath. Raise temp to 80+, use 1 TBL / 5 gal ( 1TBL / 1gal is best used in a salt bath)

I small bottle of Ich cure at petsmart runs a couple bucks and will get rid of it in a day or 2. For some reason, I think you may be dealing with something far more severe than Ich. Ich is like the common cold, it shouldnt kill your fish.

Is there a way to get a picture of the loaches?
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelman 2012-01-25, 02:24

I think your right Madness. Pictures would sure make thing easier
Angelman
Angelman

http://p4angels.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-25, 06:28

If it is ich(or quite frankly anything else) we need a different game plan. Maybe if things are changed quick enough the other loach might be able to survive. I'll be in the chatbox a little after 3:30pm today(jan25th) and we can discuss more and come up with a different plan. If you're able to, still post pics on this thread. If it is ich the temp should be raised to 86F degrees gradually(wouldn't go past that for cold water fish) but I also must stress the importance of getting more air into the tank to replace the oxygen that the heat and salt/meds will be taking out.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-25, 16:29

I don't know how to upload a photo on here. I'm sure it's more than Ich also. I think I'm gonna take out all the ornamental stuff and do vacuum/water change. Add more salt and meds. My smaller Dojo died last night!!!!

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-25, 17:09

I think it's too late, my big loach is in really bad shape and if I raise the temp again he is gone!!! I took out all fake stuff and did a water change and vacuum, added some more salt and new meds!!! I don't think he will last til nighttime!!! His color is really bad and eyes look bad!!!
Oh and I do have an aeration rock in there also. Thanks for all your help I'm pretty sad right now and there's nothing else I can do for today.
Although you never know, if you guys have any more suggestions please let me kmow greatly appreciated!!! affraid

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-25, 18:17

Well describe what is on their bodies? Does it look like there is salt granules on them or is it more then that.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-25, 18:29

My smaller loach died last night and my big loach has some granule looking on it's head, I don't see much on the body now, although his color isn't good, instead of dark brown he's paler.

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-25, 19:45

i will be on the chat box and we can talk more if you log in so that we can figure out a plan in time hopefully.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-01-26, 00:15

I agree and use madness method. Plus One
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down