Anything more interesting than a betta?

5 posters

Go down

Anything more interesting than a betta? Empty Anything more interesting than a betta?

Post  Guest 2012-01-02, 21:27

I have a two and a half gallon, or maybe its three? I can't remember that used to hold a grumpy old betta who died a bit ago. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of something more fun that can do well in such a small tank. It has a filter and a heater too so its not just a lil bowl. I want something that can thrive and not something that I would be punishing by making it live in there.

Back to top Go down

Anything more interesting than a betta? Empty Re: Anything more interesting than a betta?

Post  joseZ. 2012-01-02, 21:41

you can make it a planted tank with some shrimp
joseZ.
joseZ.
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Anything more interesting than a betta? Empty Re: Anything more interesting than a betta?

Post  Guest 2012-01-02, 21:41

There are actually a few cherry shrimp in it atm. We are going to have to start selling the little guys cuz we have two breeding colonies of them! I am fine taking them out of that tank and putting them in the large community tank with the rest of the shrimp if I can figure out what to put in there.

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-02, 22:51

Seems like a betta is the best bet for availability and compatibility with a small environment. There are some other fish you could try like a pygmy gourami, which looks kind of like a betta...
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-01-02, 22:59

I was considering the pygmy/sparkling gourami actually. I had them years ago in a ten gallon and they were my favorite. I also was reading about a dario dario or scarlet badis... but like all things on the internet there is mixed info on how well one would work.

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-03, 00:22

There are a lot of popular nano tank ideas for salt but not quite as much for freshwater. This link seemed to have ideas and links to other sites as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My "nano" is a standard 2.5g with a lone male betta. I have a Hydor heater and an Azoo HOB filter for it.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-01-03, 10:56

neat link D. I think the zebra rasbora or pheonix rasbora would look fabulous with a plant or two in there.

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2012-01-03, 12:02

A pair of Endlers would creat its own colony quickly. I have a single Endler with guppy grass and Cherry Shrimp in my 2.5g. It just keeps on keeping on. Of course the plant is so thick I can't see the Endler much of the time. I'm thinking of plopping a female in there with him. I too, have a second colony of shrimp. It's in a 10g tank with a bog log and baby Ancistris and overgrow with a varitey of plants.
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-01-03, 14:19

Okay so I spent most of last night putting my history degree that is really a glorified research degree to work. Endlers are so pretty but after a horrible experience with the plain old fancy guppies (they got into the filter somehow..) I am leery of getting them. I found lots of lists like the one previously posted, and it seems they all have a few common ones.

Ember tetras, chili rasboras, phoenix, microrasboras, dwarf rasboras, pygmy gouramis and lastly the dario dario/scarlet badis. I can honestly say I do not recall ever seeing any of these fish in stores except the pygmy sparkling gouramis. Anyone know where I could find them? I can try to special order from the petstore in ellensburg... but that hasnt worked out well in the past.

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-01-03, 20:46

I keep Heterandria Formosa, a tiny live-bearer, and they'd most likely be fine in a 2.5g, as long as you limit the numbers. I'm considering putting a number of males in my 2.5g Walstad tank since they only get up to 3/4" max. The females grow up to 1.5", which would be okay if you have only 1 and some decent filtration. If you have both sexes you'll have to remove fry of course.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down