Fun with media bags question

5 posters

Go down

Fun with media bags question Empty Fun with media bags question

Post  kagochi 2011-11-23, 01:51

I ordered some Purigen to help clear up my tank; I borrowed some from my neighbor and wow what a difference in water clarity. Anyways, I have some on the way, and ordered some nylon media bags as well. They had 70, 50, and 110 thread nylon bags in packs of two. I made the mistake of ordering Seachems "the Bag"without knowing there would be just 1 in the box. I know, I know it says "the Bag" meaning one, but it was late ok?

Question: Does it make a difference what thread? I went safe and ordered the 110. It seemed like it would be the better quality, but then again I don't know for sure. Also should I keep "the bag"? I'm kind of bitter since it was 8 bucks.

What else except for maybe purigen have you guys found works well in your tanks when using media bags. My buddy does carbon, but I am not a fan of carbon.

kagochi
kagochi
Fry

Back to top Go down

Fun with media bags question Empty Re: Fun with media bags question

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-23, 07:37

Is your tank cloudy? Consistent water changes will help to clear bacterial blooms. I really don't mess with media too much, I've found that it I'm taking good care of my tanks most things on the market are pointless. I buy big sheets of filter foam at petsmart, cut it to the size I want, roll it up and then shove it into the filter. When the media needs to be cleaned I do a water change on that tank and then rinse the filter media in the the bucket of tank water I just pulled out so that I don't kill the beneficial bacteria. It's a huge money saver. But as I said before if you're taking care of your tanks you don't need to buy things that help clear/clean the water if you're basically cleaning it yourself.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  kagochi 2011-11-23, 10:23

yeah I do regular water changes. 1 every 2 to 3 weeks. I have some driftwood in there that I think is turning the water a tint of yellow. The fish don't seem to mind either way, but yes I agree water changes are the foundation to any healthy tank......The yello tint just bothers me, not the fish.

kagochi
kagochi
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-23, 11:48

I have use "the bag" in my tanks before and I like the fact you can recharge it. It gets pretty dark so you know it must be removing something out of the water.

If you are still having tannin issues with the wood, you might want to take it out and soak it in boiling water. This seems to release the tannins faster and with a couple times doing this you may not have as much coming out. I did this with a piece of mopani and it no longer leaches.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GilbertonFisher 2011-11-23, 12:09

Tannins that leech from the wood are beneficial for the fish, but I agree that they are annoying. I used massive carbon for a couple weeks to pull out the color in big tank.

GilbertonFisher
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2011-11-23, 14:22

GilbertonFisher wrote:massive carbon for a couple weeks to pull out the color

this works.
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down