nobody mentioned it would take forever to drain big tanks

+4
DMD123
JimA
fishloverRon
Anthraxx
8 posters

Go down

nobody mentioned it would take forever to drain big tanks Empty nobody mentioned it would take forever to drain big tanks

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-13, 04:35

anybody else ever have this problem? im actively filling up my 125 with substrate.. and man is it taking forever to drain... im not looking forward to dealing with this...
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

nobody mentioned it would take forever to drain big tanks Empty Re: nobody mentioned it would take forever to drain big tanks

Post  Guest 2011-11-13, 04:42

Use a thicker, or a second hose.. it goes faster.

Back to top Go down

nobody mentioned it would take forever to drain big tanks Empty Re: nobody mentioned it would take forever to drain big tanks

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-13, 04:53

lol im considering getting another now.. cuz here we are an hour later and still barely halfway.. also i really hate argonite sand.. this stuff is DIRTY! taking forever to get clean then it still mucks the tank up
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2011-11-13, 10:15

If you are going to do frequent ater changes, you might wan to get a water pump to move it out faster. I'm thinking about rigging up one of my old pond pumps and draining my tanks that way. Now to get a quicker filling method...!!!
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2011-11-13, 11:18

Hope your ready for some fish? They will be there before you know it.

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-13, 12:30

I cheat and use my FX5 to help move water out of the tank. Still takes some time to drain.

Cant wait to see pics of this tank set up! Very Happy

DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-13, 15:22

o jim im cheating lol. ive got a bare bones 30 long. with fully cycled sponge filters. ima just toss that together for the group while i knock out the few remaining steps on this bad boy. the sand is really kicking up a lot of junk so i gotta keep filling and draining till i reduce it some. really hate argonite! Razz
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-11-13, 15:32

DMD - I'm doing the same. In fact, the FX5 comes with a valve specifically for this. I've got that on my 125g Tang tank, and I love it. Turn a valve to drain. Turn another value to refill. Add chem's. Move on. cheers
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-11-13, 15:49

I just went to Home Depot an purchased a 20' piece of 1 1/4" hose for about $20. It will completely drain my 300 in about 20 min.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronfeeney 2011-11-13, 19:15

yep 1 1/4 hose works good.
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2011-11-13, 21:16

I have 2 different ways I drain my tanks.. On the 300 I use one of fx5's hooked to 2 pieces of PVC right out the back door.. And then I also have a long hose hooked to an extra 1000gph pump to drain my other tanks.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-11-13, 22:00

I have thought about getting a pump to drain my tanks, since some of them are under stands. Syphon is to slow when some tanks are only inches from the ground. But I have always been concerned about the pump dieing because of the fish crap when gavel vacing.

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronfeeney 2011-11-14, 01:59

fish poop shouldn't hurt the pump But gravel and sand will do a number on it.
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2011-11-14, 08:52

On idea......Put a piece of filter material over the open end of the drain hose to the pump with a rubber band.
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down