Substrate Color

4 posters

Go down

Substrate Color Empty Substrate Color

Post  TerenceH 2011-10-22, 23:16

I am trying to figure out what color of substrate gives the best color from my fish. I have poked around on many sites and read all kinds of stuff with different responses. I am leaning toward the substrate matching the rocks in the tank as that is more natural. However I am wondering what kind of contrast I will have with that.

The tank is acrylic with black backing. I have a 3D wall made from brown gutters (can not see them) with almost a burnt red rock attached to them. In between each gutter will be some val. In the tank will be cyps, julis, comp shell, buescheri, gobies and maybe paracyps.

Here is a picture of the rocks when wet. Also included are the colors I am thinking about going with. From left to right they are brown, tan, and red.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am thinking doing combo of these, black, or natural colored. What would work best?

I know all of this is subjective but outside opinions always help. I think I included all vital information.

TerenceH
TerenceH

Back to top Go down

Substrate Color Empty Re: Substrate Color

Post  Betty 2011-10-23, 11:21

I like the tan or the brown. Have you already purchased the sand? If so, you can test the different combinations out in a small tank and see how it looks when it's wet along with the lighting you will be using.

That red sand looks like a perfect match to some rocks that I use!
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fyurae 2011-10-23, 11:39

What kind of fish? What colors?
Fyurae
Fyurae
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-10-25, 13:16

I notice substrate color has bearing on certain fish. In my 120g I have a very light colored gravel, with 3 albino and 3 regular bristlenose plecos. The albino blend right into the gravel which seems to make them more comfortable so they are always out and about. The darker plecos are always hiding. My large sailfin pleco looks great against a dark gravel where as he was stressed with the lighter and always looked bleached out.

Another fish I have that has reacted to its environment is my argentea. With the light gravel the fish was more white and bright. On the dark gravel it has taken a darker tone.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down