Question about a acrylic tank

5 posters

Go down

Question about a acrylic tank Empty Question about a acrylic tank

Post  czeiszler 2011-10-08, 23:55

So today I went to do a swap with a lady who had a 55 gallon acrylic tank plus stand and canopy and she wanted a 55 gallon glass with stand and I have one I am not using so I fugured it wouldn't matter if I had a acrylic tank instead of a glass one but when I looked at the tank I was immediately concerned with a number of things..
First the back panel was bowed without water and I am not talking a little bowing we are talking right at the center of the panel it bowed 2 inches and the top had some warping on the supports. So I didn't get the aquarium because I was concerned and I was wondering if anyone else has seen something like this and if so did I make the right choice. I have never dealt with acrylic before. Thanks
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Question about a acrylic tank Empty Re: Question about a acrylic tank

Post  hbluehunter 2011-10-09, 00:12

I would say you made the right choice. The only tanks i own are all acrylic and i stay away from bowing tanks.. I have a 40 gal that i used to use as a sump that i now use as a growout tank, but i keep it in the garage just because i don't 100% trust it. But all the seals and stuff are fine.. All in all i say you made the right call.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-10-09, 00:58

I would not have traded for a tank like that either. Good that you walked away from it!

I will say that I have always had glass tanks and have never really thought about the difference between them and acrylic until I got my 210g. With this tank the glass is thick enough that you can tell the iron content in the glass gives a slight coloration to the glass. You know the typical green glass appearance, very slight. This would be one reason I would want my next large tank to either have the fancy starphire glass or be acrylic for better clarity.

I notice too on many web sites that sell acrylic tanks there is a standard grade tank thickness and a commercial one usually offered. I guess I am paranoid but my next tank would most likely be 300g or bigger so I think I would spend the money for the heavier commercial grade acrylic.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-10-09, 01:03

Acrylic tanks all have the tendency to bow, but it should be slight enough that you can't see it without looking for it and it shouldn't bow it when isn't filled. Good call, czeiszler.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-10-09, 01:04

By the way, glass tanks bow too. Smile
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-10-09, 01:23

I know what czeiszler was concerned about. My brother in law has an acrylic with a horribly noticeable bow almost as if something hot and been sitting on it and bulged it out. Scares me to look at it! affraid Almost reminds me of a pimple ready to pop.

Funny how glass can bow too! I have not tried this with mine, but I seem to remember reading somewhere you should take a level thats like 3-4 ft long and place it on the front center of your tank to see how much it bows.

DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-10-09, 01:33

Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure it was a really bad deal but wanted to ask some questions. I am happy I walked away from it. I am hoping to get my glass 55 setup in the next week or so to move my baby angels into it. The 20L is going to become a cory cat only tank.
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley17 2011-10-09, 19:23

lol she was the one on cl right i wanted her canopy and stand but i thought someone would have snatch them up lol
Ashley17
Ashley17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down