Heat/Controller

3 posters

Go down

Heat/Controller Empty Heat/Controller

Post  DMD123 2011-10-04, 15:01

I just noticed one of my heaters acting buggy today. So I might try something different out.

I use two Hydor 300watt ETH in line heaters on my 210g. These are custom plumbed in line with an FX5 filter. So it outputs the filter at 1" and splits into two 5/8" lines for the heaters and recombines back into the 1" to go back into the tank. One of the heaters seemed to be staying on for an exceptionally long time and I saw my water temp go from the steady 80 to 81.2 and it was not shutting off. These heaters are rated for up to 80g and I ran a single on my 120g for quite a while and it worked just fine, so I figured two for the 210g would be ok. From day one I seemed to have a problem with these keeping up. The temp is not as steady as it was in the smaller tank. The temp fluctuates a lot more.

I am thinking to replace the one heater that is acting buggy or to possibly try out a controller. Something like this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I absolutely do NOT want a heater inside the tank, so I am trying to come up with ideas to continue to use what I have or I might have to do a DIY approach. Any thoughts or comments on in-line heating or controllers?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Heat/Controller Empty Re: Heat/Controller

Post  larry.beck 2011-10-04, 16:55

I use a controller from Jehmco and it keeps my dual heaters right on track. Requires a (wired) sensor inside the tank though.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-10-04, 17:16

Thanks for the info, the Jehmco controllers seem very reasonably priced. I already have a digital thermometer with a probe in the tank so it would not be an issue to have the wired sensor instead.

DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-10-04, 17:24

I was thinking to get the heavy duty commercial ETCI-1R. Any other recommended ones?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2011-10-04, 18:56

DMD123 I take it you use a digital thermometer.....can you recommend a good one to use?

Ok back to the topic...... Laughing

stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-10-04, 19:33

I use the "cheap" coralife ones. Can find them anywhere from $6 on up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Actually this completely is on topic. There are a few forums where there has been issue with digital thermometers not being accurate. The test is to take and make up a glass of ice cubes and water. This should be 32 degrees. Check and see what the thermometer says.

Interestingly in the one forum I was reading the digital was off by like 3.5 (positive) degrees where as the built in with the (Ranco) controller was only off by 1 (positive). One of the reasons I want to use a controller now.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2011-10-04, 22:58

Ok cool...yeah I have the same little black Dig. therm. mine is +5* off.
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down