I found it!!!!!

+2
sounguru
DMD123
6 posters

Go down

I found it!!!!! Empty I found it!!!!!

Post  Guest 2011-09-21, 14:15

I have been looking for a while for this picture. It was taken Aug. 10 1993 and shows the begining of me and my hobby. I was 10 years old, and it was the day after my birthday (the tank and stock was my present from mom). My stock list was 3 cory cats, 4 neon tetras and a male swordtail. My mom said I spent hours everyday with my face in a book about fish or with my eyes gazing into there artificial world from that point on. Well we have the internet now so, most of my info now comes from the internet, although I still have a lot of fish books. And now I gaze into 6' tanks. Anyway I followed it up by a picture takin on my 28th birthday so 18 years later. Enjoy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm just older, same kid though. Not much changed.

Back to top Go down

I found it!!!!! Empty Re: I found it!!!!!

Post  DMD123 2011-09-21, 14:20

Cool story and picture! Dude your old! affraid
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sounguru 2011-09-21, 14:26

There is so much I could do with a big tank like that .... Ahh but alas the wife and the floors won't handle it too well ...

Oh and he is not old just well aged.... Laughing (not that I have room to talk)
sounguru
sounguru
FishBox Member

Http://www.wartairsoft.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2011-09-21, 14:29

I'm 90!
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-09-21, 14:50

I'm still in my 20s... the very butt end of them, but 20s none the less. I do feel older then I am though. I have 3 kids (10,8,3) and a mortgage. I also "hang" with older people (most of my friends are in there 40s or 50s), because I find them more relatable. My body is still young though.

Thanks for the nice words. My mom had know clue what she started when she bought me that fish tank. When I was 16 I got a 55 gallon and that was the first time I had ever owned a cichlid (thorichthys meekii). My mom wouldent allow me to go any bigger. But now she keeps a 120 gallon tank with an oscar as a wet pet in florida. Its so strange looking at that picture, and remembering how the hobby was then and having the chance to watch it evolve to what it is now. When I first started keeping fish I was tought that the water was equal to gold and the only maintnance required were top offs and scrapeing of algea. We dident do water changes back then, dumping "gold" water was unheard of. Wow, what a great hobby this is. My fondest memories as a child were focused around an aquarium. I used to get made fun of in school because I would never stop talking about or reading about fish. The name I was called most was "fish boy".... it kindda stuck because now all the guys I work with call me "fish".

Btw spyral I heard your not 90.

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-09-21, 16:18

Very nice. Really cool story and pics. The tank looks great.

I didnt start my own tank till I moved out. My dad was cheap, and if it was something he wasnt interested in, then neither should me and my brother.

Now they both have tanks also. (except their tanks could swim in my tanks) Very Happy

Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-09-21, 17:25

Lol, I dident have a dad. I was the man of the house, I was helpfull so my mom was generous.

Back to top Go down

Post  Adonijah 2011-09-21, 17:59

Nice tank! Really makes me want a white sand tank again!
Adonijah
Adonijah
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-09-21, 18:02

Thanks, its a pain to clean if you want it perfect. But I'm a big fan of natural, so I let algea grow on decorations and the back of the tank.

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2011-09-21, 18:29

Cool story and pics. Smile I can't imagine having such a large tank. I'm a bit envious. But at the same time I think I'd have to slowly work up to the larger tanks, just to make sure I could handle it. Very Happy

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-09-21, 18:43

Thanks, and it has takin me a long time to get to where I am in fish keeping. Gradual is fun if your patiant, but if not then just go out and buy a big set up. Its not tough just stick to what you know and apply it to a larger scale. I find larger tanks are easier to maintane then smaller ones because if something goes wrong it takes a lot longer for it to become a big problem where as if something goes wrong in a small tank it goes wrong really fast. That's why they say if you plan on doing saltwater the best thing to do is start with a large (50+ gallon) tank, because it leaves a little room for error. I say go with it set up a 75 gallon that's a really good size. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down