Xenon based tank light. UPDATE! - 6/2

5 posters

Go down

Xenon based tank light. UPDATE! - 6/2 Empty Xenon based tank light. UPDATE! - 6/2

Post  protocl 2010-06-01, 22:57

i do not have any lights to shine on my tanks nor my fishes, so i decided to use - some thing along the line of Spot lighting, to help capture the various colours and species of my fishes. plus, my sil aro does not need any special spectrum of light, but too much would increase tanning on her upside.
im not finished, yet. i still need some more parts and supply; but ill post pictures when im finished.

ill go ahead and list and described what the fixture im using.
I bought the set of 3 fixtures from home depot for $19 + tax.

One of the big plus of this set is: the power switch can be manually set by the DIY'er, easily.
Follow the included instruction manual.

6 Light Xenon Puck Light Kit Black with 200 watt Touch Dimmer
This 6 light, 120 volt puck light kit is used to light up areas underneath your cabinets providing much needed light to dark or shaded areas. The lights can be used with 120 volt dimmer switched receptacles or using the 200 watt touch dimmer pad/block that is included. Uses Xenon G8, 20 watt MAX bulbs. Saves 50% more energy than standard incandescent bulbs. Includes 6, 4ft fixture cords, 2, 3ft extension cords, and 1, 6ft dimmer block power cord.

Black Finish
6 light kit with 200 watt 3 level touch dimmer included
Xenon bulbs last up to 50% longer than halogen bulbs
Plugs into any standard 120 volt polarized outlet

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

one of the downsides that i can think of is: these fixtures will get HOT. the other downside is if using more than 3 fixtures, the electrical cords, all together could be a cause of issues.

instead of 6, im using 3 right now. i may fabricate my own hood to allow proper housing and cooling ducts for 6 fixtures later.

here is a picture to get a general idea.

---------------6/2--------------

Ok, im not really finished, yet. i just used twisties to anchor the fixtures. im still in the process of fabricating brackets to perm. hold the fixtures.
here are some new pictures!

Last edited by protocl on 2010-06-02, 22:28; edited 2 times in total
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Xenon based tank light. UPDATE! - 6/2 Empty Re: Xenon based tank light. UPDATE! - 6/2

Post  whatthebloody 2010-06-01, 23:11

great start. Cant wait to see the end result. I'm a fan of cool lighting
whatthebloody
whatthebloody

Back to top Go down

Xenon based tank light. UPDATE! - 6/2 Empty Re: Xenon based tank light. UPDATE! - 6/2

Post  protocl 2010-06-01, 23:13

whatthebloody wrote:great start. Cant wait to see the end result. I'm a fan of cool lighting

thank you!, yes i will post pictures of this finished idea.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey 2010-06-01, 23:52

Great idea! And the lighting is nice! cheers
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

http://www.wafishbox.com

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-06-02, 00:08

Mikey wrote:Great idea! And the lighting is nice! cheers

thank you!
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2010-06-15, 04:02

not to be "that guy" but i sure hope you have a bigger tank set up for him (cycling) or a new home worked out; because if your feeding him as much as a bb aro needs he'll be as long as that tank in the next 6 months sorry. but the lighting is dopeness great idea
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-06-15, 11:29

shua wrote:not to be "that guy" but i sure hope you have a bigger tank set up for him (cycling) or a new home worked out; because if your feeding him as much as a bb aro needs he'll be as long as that tank in the next 6 months sorry. but the lighting is dopeness great idea

yea, Im working on a 180G utilizing a fluval fx5 and a Rena xp4.
Almost done ordering a Custom metal stand for the tank.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2010-06-15, 12:31

protocl wrote:
shua wrote:not to be "that guy" but i sure hope you have a bigger tank set up for him (cycling) or a new home worked out; because if your feeding him as much as a bb aro needs he'll be as long as that tank in the next 6 months sorry. but the lighting is dopeness great idea

Yeah you should do that asap. That made me sad : ( Poor little guy
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-06-15, 15:15

Ashley wrote:
protocl wrote:

don't worry my fellow fish loving, online forum member - I've spent about $600 on filtration, $100 on heating .
I'm very sure about having my aro. in a big tank very soon.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-06-15, 21:00

Razz good good! gotta see that tank, i bet you fit in it! (not calling you fat lol dont even knwo what you look like) my dad had a silver aro and he had silverdollars, clown loaches, and bala sharks with it, also some random catfishes and my fish, sparkels (random species of gravel filtering cichlid that was the most beautiful fish ive ever seen EVER). anyways, my point is that the aro looked AMAZING with the balas and silverdolars, you should look into it because i would love to see that in your new tank!

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2010-06-15, 21:07

protocl wrote:
Ashley wrote:
protocl wrote:

don't worry my fellow fish loving, online forum member - I've spent about $600 on filtration, $100 on heating .
I'm very sure about having my aro. in a big tank very soon.

Okay good. How old is he?
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-06-16, 02:06

@teddy: ill look into those fishes that you mentioned. im still confused as to what kind of center piece i should use.
but for sure, ill post pictures of the new tank!

@ashly: i got her feb 5 this year, she was really small; like 3"
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2010-06-23, 19:08

i can build you a wood stand if you want it might cost you a lil though shoot me a pm if you wanna see my work
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-06-23, 20:16

shua wrote:i can build you a wood stand if you want it might cost you a lil though shoot me a pm if you wanna see my work

already have one being fabricated by Big Dave.
Sorry bro.
I'll look into a wood version with you when I get my 55G.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down