2.5 Gallon Lighting/ dwarf hairgrass Question

3 posters

Go down

2.5 Gallon Lighting/ dwarf hairgrass Question Empty 2.5 Gallon Lighting/ dwarf hairgrass Question

Post  Skagit 2011-07-13, 16:52

I just inherited a small 2.5 gallon standard rectangular tank. I've been interested in planting it with dwarf hairgrass and keeping RCS or a betta but I've had trouble finding a light setup for such a small tank.

These are two I've found:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Are these too bright to grow dwarf hairgrass? I don't want to fry it and/or growing insane amounts of algae in such a bright tank. Currently my brightest is only 1.5 - 2 watts per gallon.

Skagit
Fry

Back to top Go down

2.5 Gallon Lighting/ dwarf hairgrass Question Empty Re: 2.5 Gallon Lighting/ dwarf hairgrass Question

Post  Fyurae 2011-07-13, 21:14

In something so small, I would go for a simple incandescent desk lamp pointed at the top, so you can easily adjust the wattage by changing bulbs. Are you really set on buying a hood for it?
Fyurae
Fyurae
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

2.5 Gallon Lighting/ dwarf hairgrass Question Empty Re: 2.5 Gallon Lighting/ dwarf hairgrass Question

Post  Skagit 2011-07-13, 21:53

Well I need it to have a lid of some sort... my girlfriend's cat loves to try and catch fish.

Skagit
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishaholics 2011-07-13, 22:13

They do make lid for the 2.5 I believe, or you could use egg crate from HD.

For the light, small tanks dont really follow the wpg rule. If you want the HG to grow like a carpet, the second fixture should be good enough or you could also buy a desk lamp and use a 14W CFL (don't use incandescent). Problem is, you'll have to dose co2 and ferts, otherwise they'll grow slowwwwlllyyy

fishaholics
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Fyurae 2011-07-13, 23:53

Oh yeah. I would get a CFL. I forgot about that part.
Fyurae
Fyurae
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Skagit 2011-07-14, 01:38

Ok, so a lamp or the second option I posted. Is either better? Would an acrylic lid work with the lamp mounted above it?

I should be okay on fert - have some due to my larger planted tanks. Will have to figure out something for CO2, currently has an air pump which is better than nothing

Skagit
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down