Hypsophrys nicaraguensis pair/spawn

+2
Madness
JK47
6 posters

Go down

Hypsophrys nicaraguensis pair/spawn Empty Hypsophrys nicaraguensis pair/spawn

Post  JK47 2011-05-29, 17:34

I have a total soft spot for nics.. This little pair just spawned for me yesterday. My camera washes out their colors but believe me they are bright in person. An awesome species, if you haven't owned them, I would highly recommend it. Anyone else keeping nics or neets?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JK47
JK47
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Hypsophrys nicaraguensis pair/spawn Empty Re: Hypsophrys nicaraguensis pair/spawn

Post  Madness 2011-05-30, 00:41

I have a small pair myself. The male is about 3 1/2" and the female 2.5". Beautiful fish. Even at this size.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Hypsophrys nicaraguensis pair/spawn Empty Re: Hypsophrys nicaraguensis pair/spawn

Post  aaronfeeney 2011-05-30, 00:47

nice looking fish
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Maccoy 2011-05-30, 11:26

What is that sand Is it silica mixed with some Pfs?
Maccoy
Maccoy
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  JK47 2011-05-30, 18:56

madness wrote:I have a small pair myself. The male is about 3 1/2" and the female 2.5". Beautiful fish. Even at this size.

Thank you very much! Your A. hogaboomorum is a stud!

aaronfeeney wrote:nice looking fish

Thanks!

Maccoy wrote:What is that sand Is it silica mixed with some Pfs?

It's my own my mix I stir up for fry and juvies. I hate bare bottom tanks so I use a mix of 80% Quickrete "media" (very fine white silica) and 20% Lapis Lustre #1C. It helps cut down on left over food. The fine white make food obvious to the fry and doesn't get lost down in larger grains. I only mix in the Lapis Lustre for a more natual look. Do you like it or hate it? Be honest Mac!
JK47
JK47
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2011-05-30, 22:58

I picked up 4 Honduran Red Points and 3 Neets today. Awesome little fish. Kevin at A Place For Pets in Burien gave me a great deal. Real happy with these little guys.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-05-31, 00:26

Heck Spy, if you wanted HRP, I have 4 pairs, I could of sold you one of them. Smile
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Maccoy 2011-06-02, 00:43

JK47 wrote:
madness wrote:I have a small pair myself. The male is about 3 1/2" and the female 2.5". Beautiful fish. Even at this size.

Thank you very much! Your A. hogaboomorum is a stud!

aaronfeeney wrote:nice looking fish

Thanks!

Maccoy wrote:What is that sand Is it silica mixed with some Pfs?

It's my own my mix I stir up for fry and juvies. I hate bare bottom tanks so I use a mix of 80% Quickrete "media" (very fine white silica) and 20% Lapis Lustre #1C. It helps cut down on left over food. The fine white make food obvious to the fry and doesn't get lost down in larger grains. I only mix in the Lapis Lustre for a more natual look. Do you like it or hate it? Be honest Mac!

Well it sounds very useful and I Love it
Maccoy
Maccoy
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-08-28, 19:47

My male nic was about 8 inches long and just died last week, my jag pair (thought they were both female) spawned and killed a 8 inch nic and a 9 inch male friedrichsthalli... I was sad, but now I have a bunch of managuenses fry.... will have to get some more nics for another tank...

I heard these were difficult to spawn in captivity, would you mind giving some details please ie: water perm., tanks size, tankmates, trigger used to get them started? Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  JK47 2011-10-30, 18:44

fish_n_vw wrote:I heard these were difficult to spawn in captivity, would you mind giving some details please ie: water perm., tanks size, tankmates, trigger used to get them started? Thanks.

I'm really sorry I missed your question! I don't think they are hard to spawn at all, most people who have spawned them may never know they did since the eggs get sucked up into the filters right away. This species is one of the only species I am aware of that the eggs do not have any adhesive quality as in they do not stick to pots, rocks etc.. They are substrate spawners so what I do is wait for them to dig a pit and then I kill the FX5 so the eggs don't get sucked up. I keep sponges inside the FX5 so they are always cycled. I pull out the sponges and turn them onto air power and the tank never misses a beat. Add a devider so the other grow out fish can't get to them and there you have it.

Tank: 125 gallon w/ one FX5 and a 40 watt UV (overkill I know but it is moving over to the 600 gallon soon) stocked with some festae growouts from rattles old pair and a small H. carpintis 'escondido' pair. 50% WC once a week, 78 degrees and pH 7.6.
JK47
JK47
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-10-30, 20:42

Wow, I had a "pair" that showed intrest in eachother all the time, but no results.. so how big are the fry now? Let me know when your ready to sell some off.

Back to top Go down

Post  sonnys503 2011-10-31, 10:09

JK47, Didn't know you had these going. I will likely get a pair down the road. the male @ WWOP is not that great looking, and the pair @ A2Z is overpriced for the pair!
sonnys503
sonnys503
FishBox Member

http://saechaophotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JK47 2011-11-03, 00:14

fish_n_vw wrote:Wow, I had a "pair" that showed intrest in eachother all the time, but no results.. so how big are the fry now? Let me know when your ready to sell some off.

I rarely (depends on the species) grow out fry very far, I take them in to the LFS's in my area as soon as they'll take them. I don't have any fry ATM.

sonnys503 wrote:JK47, Didn't know you had these going. I will likely get a pair down the road. the male @ WWOP is not that great looking, and the pair @ A2Z is overpriced for the pair!

Yeah I have had them going for a while now, a nice species to have around. You'll get to see them when you pick up your RTM pair this week Wink
JK47
JK47
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-11-03, 01:49

JK47 wrote:
Yeah I have had them going for a while now, a nice species to have around. You'll get to see them when you pick up your RTM pair this week Wink

RTM pair? I have been looking for a male for like EVER....... And your an active moderator on MFK, and thats where I have been trying..... And you have had a pair this whole time????? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad What else do you have, that your only telling a select few? Mad Mad Mad
You know that you live in Washington? NOT OREGON!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I cant believe the non Washington loyalty. No No No

I just dont know what else to say. silent silent silent

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  JK47 2011-11-03, 20:13

madness wrote:
JK47 wrote:

RTM pair? I have been looking for a male for like EVER....... And your an active moderator on MFK, and thats where I have been trying..... And you have had a pair this whole time????? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad What else do you have, that your only telling a select few? Mad Mad Mad
You know that you live in Washington? NOT OREGON!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I cant believe the non Washington loyalty. No No No

I just dont know what else to say. silent silent silent

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Haha sorry Shawn LOL! I posted them for free a month or so ago, you should have hit me up! I didn't know you were looking for rtm until I saw you picked up your male. This pair would be too small for you anyway (3", they are only bonded). This is my extra pair, I have a showpiece 'rio blanco' pair in the house. As far as other speices for am getting rid of, I x4 Herichthys carpintis 'escondido' left after my pair. I sold off most excess species since I am switching tanks around in the garage to upgrade the dovii pairs tank.
JK47
JK47
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down