hbluehunter
sidekicking
adal
Kaosu
thefishdaddy
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

new to the site and have a couple questions  Empty new to the site and have a couple questions

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-02, 03:23

ok so hi everyone lol but anyway i wanted to know if i would be called nuts for what kinds of fish i have all in one fish tank and if its even safe haha

anyway ill post pics up here soon got to get my camera but this is what i have goin on in 1 tank lol

2 common plecos 1 approx 10" other is like 6"

pangasius shark app 3.5"

1 golden dojo loach approx 5"

1 dojo loach approx 6"

2 tiger oscars both around 5-6"

1 african brown knife bout 4"

2 african cichlids forgot names 1 is like 2" other like 3.5"

1jack dempsey approx 3"

1 japenese alge eater approx 3.5"

1 kissing fish unfortunatley approx 4"

1 african albino clawed frog only like a inch hes a baby

and the newest addition a 4" silver arowana

im working on parting with some of the fish but i figured id ask and see if i were to be labled crazy for this haha thanks

thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

new to the site and have a couple questions  Empty Re: new to the site and have a couple questions

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-02, 03:27

also have a huge catfish approx size i think like 8 inches
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

new to the site and have a couple questions  Empty Re: new to the site and have a couple questions

Post  Kaosu 2011-05-02, 03:49

what size tank is it?
and what is your filtration?
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-05-02, 03:55

I gotta say thats pretty crazy man, I cant believe that you still have all of them alive.
just the tiger oscars by themselves need at least 80g tank by themselves, that arowana get huge, over 3ft!! and need massive aquariums and the fact that you have frogs and gouramis with all these aggressive fishes blows my mind. I wanna see pics!
and how big is your aquarium?
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-05-02, 06:18

I wouldn't say crazy just sounds like you don't care about your fish
I'm also curious on how big of a tank you have all this fish in and what kind of filtration your running with such huge bio load
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2011-05-02, 14:46

Same question as the others.. What's your set up ??
With those fish you have you're probably gonna end up with an Oscar, JD, pleco's, and catfish.. And a silver if the Oscar and JD don't kill it..
Could end up with no fish if you don't have your water peram's perfect..
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2011-05-02, 18:44

I agree ^^ I wouldn't say crazy, more like cruel. I hope you have a tank at least 180 gallons? To start because the arowana will outgrow a 180 in 6 months- a year.

Also, I don't know anything about cichlids but you said you have africans in there? I'm pretty sure they're hard water fish where everything else is not.
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2011-05-02, 19:05

Sounds like you have a little bit of everything in there! I would say, pick something you like and run with it, you currently have too many species that require different things.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-02, 20:46

well they all seem to get along fine the jd did a littlefin nipping at first to the arowana so i took the arowana to my buddies place for a little bit till i get a bigger tank but im super embarrassed to say a 55 gallon tank im lookin for a new tank as we speak tho and looking today some the fish i over exagerated a little on size but not by much but im running a eheim canister filter but all the fish are really healthy and dont mind eachother i know im in need of getting rid of alot of fish lol my buddy and me just started getting into fish so we started off with cichlids and my catfish ive had since i was little but then started liking the more aggressive fish and people just kept adding more and more fish to the tank so now im looking at getting rid of my loaches african cichlids kissing fish knife fish possibly jd if he keeps trying to nip on his bad days and im trying to find a tank on cl for deals but havnt seen much i almost bought ashleys tank but ran into some problems but im gonna post some pics in a little bit i got my camera
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-05-02, 21:03

Oh wow dude that tank is seriously over stock
what are your water parameters right now??
definitely star looking for new homes for some of your fish

if you like cichlids either go with s/a cichlids or africans but not the two in the same tank
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2011-05-02, 21:29

Yeah that's really not fair to the fish. I'm sure some people on here would be willing to give them good homes!

Or I have a 250 gal for sale Hehe
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  GilbertonFisher 2011-05-02, 22:50

Wow. The important part to recognize here is that you are wanting to learn more and fix the problem!

GilbertonFisher
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-02, 23:26

yea im new at wanting to start this as a hobby but im working on getting rid of some my fish and will post them after i consult with my buddy but also how much did u want for ur 250 gal? wasnt it like 800 but all i know parameter wise is 7.8ph is normal in my tank and temp stays between 76-80 and can anyone explain how to clean sand lol i just swapped to sand and cant find a video how to clean it the lady at petsmart had no clue rofl
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  GilbertonFisher 2011-05-02, 23:39

I've read to use a syphon with chop sticks rubber banded to the bottom long enough to move through the sand the purpose is to supposedly break up dead spots that can contain deadly gases. I've never don't it though.

GilbertonFisher
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-05-03, 00:48

Temperature
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Alkalinity
General
Hardness

This are the what they call water parameters
invest in a FW testing kit

Just use a gravel vac to clean your sand
also buy some malaysian trumpet snails they will help stir up the sand and reproduce like crazy
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-03, 01:21

yea ive been needing to buy one of those test kits buut ok ill try the rock vac and hmmm ill have to see if i can find some of those snails but im bout to upload pics in like 5 minutes and if anyone knows the proper name to my catfish id appreciate it ill post a pic cuz i googles it and i found something called a ojudo catfish... so i think that might be him ive had him since i was little and forgotwe even had a fish tank looked in there when we were moving out and saw him and 2 others still alive in like 12 inches of water that was gross and there was random stuff in there like 3 batteries hes the only one that made it which i find crazy
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-05-03, 01:38

All I can say is WOW. affraid I offer any help you may need. If you have any questions regarding anything, just ask. I am in Puyallup on South Hill, so I am not far from you. I have been doing this for quite some time now. Feel free to ask, anytime.

Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-03, 01:49

i appreciate that thank you very much ill be sure to ask next time i have a question Very Happy
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-03, 02:12

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

here are somepics of my fish anyone know what the catfish is? but anyway i wasnt able to get a pic of my frog loaches knife fish or bichir they like hideing in the new plants i just got and are groing like crazy lol
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-05-03, 03:05

If you really want some malaysian trumpet snails, I can give you some for free Im taking down a tank and Im sure there are hundreds of them in the gravel. I also have a ton of yellow apple snail babies, they eat algae and dead plants. rehoming fee $1 for a little bunch of them.
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-03, 03:13

oh that would be awesome!!! im gonna research them real fast and are they capable of living in sand?
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-05-03, 03:28

Yes they can, I have them in all my tanks. they look like little cones and they barely ever come out of the substrate, they eat leftover food in the gravel and keep it oxygenated, great for planted aquariums. apple snails get kinda big and they clean the tank 24/7, they also eat any dead plant matter and leftover food. I also have some ramshorn snails same as apple but little.
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-03, 03:31

that would be awesome id appreciate it ima do a little research on them but can they live in sand? just wanna make sure because idk if freshwater lobsters can but 2 of them have died since ive had sand lol
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-05-03, 03:39

sand is the perfect substrate for them. they are also good for keeping your sand aerobic, without ever touching a single root or plant. Alot of people dont really like them because they consider them a pest, but Ive never felt like they were one in any of my tanks
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-03, 04:07

yea the ladies at sumner pets told me i probly shouldnt get them one time because they just repopulate and take over the tank but i know it cant hurt besides even if they tried eating the 2 plants i have in my tank they grow sooooo fast i dont remember what they are called but ive had 2 bundles for like 2 weeks and it has grown a good 5 inches loland sorry for saying same thing twicelol didnt realize there was a page two haha
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Adonijah 2011-05-03, 16:27

You jack dempsey looks sick. are those atinic lights on your fw tank??
Adonijah
Adonijah
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-03, 21:53

no i have a 48" marine glow light for right nowit makes my tank look hella good at night because i have white sand and it brings out alot of my fishes colorsand the light was cheap lol 18 bucks for the light bulb and like 10 for the 48" thing from walmart
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2011-05-04, 00:45

can you gimme a better picture of the cat
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-04, 01:24

yea 1 sec ill take one and upload it
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-04, 01:36

thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Adonijah 2011-05-04, 01:48

All pieces came from walmart? I didn't know they had aquarium lighting.. I guess they have everything.
Adonijah
Adonijah
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-04, 01:52

no the bulb came from pets mart the lighting fixture came from there tho its actually really nice if u see the new pic of my cat u can see how it makes him look with no flash my frog looks awesome since hes albino lol ill post a pic
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-04, 01:56

can anyone tell me what kind of plant this is also its growing like crazy
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-05-04, 02:02

yup those look like atinic lights
is that what you are using to grow your plants?
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sink 2011-05-04, 02:04

Haha totally actinic lighting.
Sink
Sink
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-04, 02:22

what dose that mean if i may ask lol
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-05-04, 02:28

thefishdaddy wrote:what dose that mean if i may ask lol

what does actinic mean??
is that your question?
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-04, 02:37

yea what does actinic mean and is it a bad thing lol
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-05-04, 03:05

Actinic is a particular color range of lighting, typically associated with saltwater so far as I know. Typically a secondary color that highlights particular elements within the tank, such as blue fish.

It's not a bad thing, although I'm not sure how good it is at growing live plants. Doesn't seem to be hurting yours, though, from what you said. Smile
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-04, 03:24

oh ok well itisnt hurting mine at all lol like i said i have no clue what they are but they are like weeds almost haha i like them tho i just need to get a better set up decoration wise im thinking aboutdoing somesort ofriver rock thing
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-05-04, 03:57

The plant looks like some kind of hornwort, pretty good at removing nitrates, since it grows so fast and absorbs nutrients mainly from the water. actinic light does not benefit or hurt plants. for freshwater plants you want a bulb with a k rating more than 5000k but less than 10000k, 6700k being the best. actinic light benefits corals since it provides them with the color range they need to grow better, I've heard of pink bulbs in freshwater planted tanks and how they help plants but never done it myself.
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-04, 04:13

i think that is wat it is called i got it from an importer in everett along with my frog and arowana but im gonna have to look into other lighting possibly could i use my marine glo light and a 6700k bulb at same time so i still have some blue but its also good for my tank
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-05, 02:42

anyone know what a good cheap heater would cost me for my 55 gal mine is crapping out my water stayed around 78 and its down to 72 and my fish are kind of acting weird can i take water out and add warm water or will that pput them in shock
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2011-05-05, 03:08

your cat is a Pimelodus blochii

a four lined pimodella

via MFK member treldib
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-05, 03:54

thanks very much its been bugging me trying to figure it out do you know what kind of cichlid my blue one with black stripes and yellow fins is there is a pic on page 2
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2011-05-05, 04:17

to be honest, and not to hurt any ones feelings i couldnt give a half a shit about african chiclids sorry. this is somthing you will have to ask mikie or spy
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-05, 04:20

im not a big fan of them anymore either lol never looked into them ive recently found out i like aggresive fish lol killers are peacock bass aggressive at all because i think they are awesome lol but i almost put my buddies dovii in my tank to just end everything and restart because i was gettin mad at people bringing home random fish and putting them in my tank and getting mad because they got eaten
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-05, 04:22

oh and where did you get your atf from i want one soo bad when i get my new tank lol
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2011-05-05, 04:29

there all gone but i got mine from king discus he is out and there only the vetula witch dosnt get to big but absolutely stunning color tail
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  thefishdaddy 2011-05-05, 04:35

yea i was readin about the vetula ones i like them alot and more suitable for a fish tank lol idk much about keeping a goliath one haha but how much did he/she cost so i kinda know how much id need to spend on one ive never seen them but ive yet to see any shops up north lol
thefishdaddy
thefishdaddy
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next