29 Gal Amazon Biotope 'Blackwater Bog'

+2
hobbyorobsession
Kaie
6 posters

Go down

29 Gal Amazon Biotope 'Blackwater Bog' Empty 29 Gal Amazon Biotope 'Blackwater Bog'

Post  Kaie 2011-02-23, 00:34

So i got a hand-me-down 29gal from a friend Razz. Pondered for a few days about what i wanted to put in it.Then... I remembered about German and Bolivian Rams! While researching rams i came across tons of sweet info about these fish and other 'blackwater' fishes. I WAS SOLD.

So heres what im thinking...

EQUIPMENT
Tank: 29Gal
Heater: 1x Jager 300w
Filter: AC 70 w/ Pre-filters, bulk mechanical filter, Bag of Seachem Matrix, and bag of peat moss. [I might not use this filter as everything i read about the flora and fauna I've choose likes to still water. These filters seem to flow A LOT. I would rather find a canister and 'diffuse' the output with a PVC with holes drilled in it.
Co2: Not sure about the need?
Lighting: Not much.

SUBSTRATE
1] Only Seachem Flourite Black Sand | Amount: ?
or
2] Botton: Seachem Flourite
Top: Seachem Onyx Sand

HARDSCAPE
Lots of natural bogwood, leaves, bark?, and rocks.

FAUNA
Silver Hatchet [Gasteropelecus sternicla]: 10-12 -- They tend to do better in larger groups.
Middle/Low
German Blue Ram: 1 pair.
Various Dwarf Cichlids: 6 or so
Middle
Tetras: Haven't settled on variety or amount. At least 15-20. I want a school.
Bottom
Cories: Also haven't settled on variety or amount.

Seems like a lot of fish but they will all have their place and filter will handle bioload.

FLORA
Depending on availability...
Amazon Sword [Echinodorus amazonicus]
Star Grass [Heteranthera zosterifolia]
Coontail [Ceratophyllum demersum]
Tape grass [Jungle Vallisneria]
Green Cabomba

IDEAL PARAMETERS
pH: 6.0
Temp: 82F

CHEMICALS AND ADDITIVES
Seachem American Cichlid Salt
Kent Marine Black Water Expert
Ferts: ?

PLAN
So essentially my plan is to cycle the tank [Obviously] with straight unconditioned tap water and a whole filter [AC70] that is in my Oscar set up. Then add the substrate. decor, and plants. Run for awhile so the plants can grow then add the Hatchets. Wait a week, add the Tetras. Wait a few weeks, add the cories. THEN if everything is going good for a few weeks add my cichlids.

I'm open to comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, or great ideas or places to find some of this stuff.

Kaie
Kaie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

29 Gal Amazon Biotope 'Blackwater Bog' Empty Re: 29 Gal Amazon Biotope 'Blackwater Bog'

Post  hobbyorobsession 2011-02-23, 03:49

good luck , hope it comes together
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

29 Gal Amazon Biotope 'Blackwater Bog' Empty Re: 29 Gal Amazon Biotope 'Blackwater Bog'

Post  Kaie 2011-02-23, 21:00

Got some of my supplies.

For a stand, i just got some concrete blocks used for decks and such.

The tank is going between a couch and a window. It'll be 'tucked' away, so the ugliness of the blocks doesnt matter. Im waiting for my female to get home to see if she wants to throw some fabric over the top of the bricks to spruce it up.

I also decided to go cheap and get some silica sand. I know i said im doing a biotope, and i also realize the substrate in the amazon is dark. But my local LFS wants $40 a sack of flourite... RIDICULOUS.

The 8 blocks and 100lbs of sand cost under $20 including tax

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol!
Kaie
Kaie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaie 2011-02-23, 23:46

and now the cycling begins.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Kaie
Kaie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaie 2011-02-24, 20:28

I'm not cycling per se, since i took an established filter from another tank. I'm just keeping an eye on the water parameters... I put straight unconditioned tap water in the tank to see how the bacteria colony would handle the chloramine that is in our local tap.

Today things are looking up.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
pH: 7.0

Next step is background... i think im just going to do black latex paint. I cant find that 'vinyl'. Then get some bogwood and plants to drive that pH down.

Bogwood situation is on hold sort of since we had somewhat of a snow storm so i cant wonder the lakes and beaches looking for the perfect pieces.

Anyone have any info on getting ahold of these indian almond leaves that are apparently good at releasing tannins/nutrients into the water?

Or what types of local north american leaves, trees, and bark are fish safe.
Kaie
Kaie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  waqasasghar321 2011-02-28, 07:59

Kaie wrote:So i got a hand-me-down 29gal from a friend Razz. Pondered for a few days about what i wanted to put in it.Then... I remembered about German and Bolivian Rams! While researching rams i came across tons of sweet info about these fish and other 'blackwater' fishes. I WAS SOLD.

So heres what im thinking...

EQUIPMENT
Tank: 29Gal
Heater: 1x Jager 300w
Filter: AC 70 w/ Pre-filters, bulk mechanical filter, Bag of Seachem Matrix, and bag of peat moss. [I might not use this filter as everything i read about the flora and fauna I've choose likes to still water. These filters seem to flow A LOT. I would rather find a canister and 'diffuse' the output with a PVC with holes drilled in it.
Co2: Not sure about the need?
Lighting: Not much.

SUBSTRATE
1] Only Seachem Flourite Black Sand | Amount: ?
or
2] Botton: Seachem Flourite
Top: Seachem Onyx Sand

HARDSCAPE
Lots of natural bogwood, leaves, bark?, and rocks.

FAUNA
Silver Hatchet [Gasteropelecus sternicla]: 10-12 -- They tend to do better in larger groups.
Middle/Low
German Blue Ram: 1 pair.
Various Dwarf Cichlids: 6 or so
Middle
Tetras: Haven't settled on variety or amount. At least 15-20. I want a school.
Bottom
Cories: Also haven't settled on variety or amount.

Seems like a lot of fish but they will all have their place and filter will handle bioload.

FLORA
Depending on availability...
Amazon Sword [Echinodorus amazonicus]
Star Grass [Heteranthera zosterifolia]
Coontail [Ceratophyllum demersum]
Tape grass [Jungle Vallisneria]
Green Cabomba

IDEAL PARAMETERS
pH: 6.0
Temp: 82F

CHEMICALS AND ADDITIVES
Seachem American Cichlid Salt
Kent Marine Black Water Expert
Ferts: ?

PLAN
So essentially my plan is to cycle the tank [Obviously] with straight unconditioned tap water and a whole filter [AC70] that is in my Oscar set up. Then add the substrate. decor, and plants. Run for awhile so the plants can grow then add the Hatchets. Wait a week, add the Tetras. Wait a few weeks, add the cories. THEN if everything is going good for a few weeks add my cichlids.

I'm open to comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, or great ideas or places to find some of this stuff.

waqasasghar321
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronfeeney 2011-05-01, 00:24

Any updates on this one?
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaie 2011-05-01, 00:37

aaronfeeney wrote:Any updates on this one?

i ended up doing it in a 55

Creatures:
5 black angelfish
5 peacock gudgeons
10 ThreadFin Rainbow fish
1 pair German Rams
1 Farlowella
1 Bristle Nose
8 Ghost shrimp

Ill get pictures some time next week.
Kaie
Kaie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fyurae 2011-05-02, 14:23

Nice wood. Hur hur. But I'm bummed you went to a 55, since I have a 29 and Im always curious to see what people do with them.
Fyurae
Fyurae
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaie 2011-05-02, 22:37

Fyurae wrote:Nice wood. Hur hur. But I'm bummed you went to a 55, since I have a 29 and Im always curious to see what people do with them.

Heres the 55. I cant find my real camera. So heres one of those infamous shitty cell camera pictures. If you look closely you can see an angel.

Heres the 29 now.

Bunch of Bloodfins
3x Giant Indian Gourami. They dont get so giant. More like 3-4" long.
1x bristlenostral pleco
Handful of ghost shrimp.
a small/depleting population of bladder snails. Apparently these gouramis enjoy a snail or 6 in their diet.

Kaie
Kaie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Fish Aquatics 2011-05-02, 23:32

very nice set up.if you need more of the kind of fish you listed let me know i sometimes cary them.

i really like that piece of wood in the 55 .very classy set ups

Big Fish Aquatics

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaie 2011-05-03, 00:13

Thanks Jeff. Every fish is from your store except the farlowella.
Kaie
Kaie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down