Towards the end of cycling

3 posters

Go down

Towards the end of cycling Empty Towards the end of cycling

Post  F.Banks 2011-02-13, 21:22

I've been doing a fishless cycle and its nearing completion. Ammonia=.25ppm in 12 hrs. from 2.0ppm, nitrites just dropped to 0.25ppm from 2.0
from 6 hrs ago. The nitrates are at 80ppm. Will this drop on its own? There is only 1/2 a small moss ball ATM.
F.Banks
F.Banks
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Towards the end of cycling Empty Re: Towards the end of cycling

Post  Fyurae 2011-02-13, 22:54

Not if you just have a small moss ball. This is what water changes are for. At least part of why you do water changes. I would imagine you'd need a LOT of plants to keep nitrates down. I have several plants as well as a ton of non-aquatic starts that are rooting in my tank and it doesn't ever LOOSE nitrates. I only have 3 small fish in a 30 gallon tank.
Fyurae
Fyurae
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  F.Banks 2011-02-13, 23:26

So would around 30% a week be in the ball park? Of course I'll test the parameters on a regular basis. I'm on a tight budget for a couple more weeks and have Bettas on order. There will be 4 females and I plan on adding 2 or 3 BN's. Maybe a couple shrimps also.

I have a 10gl. with a HOB filter and a UG system running for over 6 mos. housing 2 male Bettas, 2 Neons and one full sized Cory. Yes I know the Corys need to be in a group and will take care of it ASAP. Also have a 5.5 with just an eternal filter (time to test again) with 1 male Betta and 2 Pygmy Corys. Will also add more when available.

I haven't really seen any plants that were worth buying at the stores I shop at for the most part. Some even look half dead and I don't need assistance in killing them I'm sure. I don't drive at this time so I have to bus it. Do you know of a store that has good or decent ones? I'm more than willing to make a trek!

BTW thanks for the previous answer as I do want the best for the fish as I learn. I plan on a 75 or 90gl. for a So. American Cichlid tank in the summer.
F.Banks
F.Banks
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic 2011-02-14, 00:02

Actually, plants can indeed remove nitrates, and quite well. You do need fast growing plants, though. Floating plants like frogs bit, water lettuce, water wisteria, and even duckweed (if you dare) can multiply quite rapidly and act like a nitrate sponge. Fast growing stem plants work nearly as well.

I have 2" ABNs for sale, and could make you a package with several fast growing plants and maybe some RCS, if you are interested. I get down that way now and then, and might even be able to deliver. PM me if you are interested.

BTW, I got a chuckle out of your eternal filter. If only...

Vic
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down