+3
censeoflife
icer711
sandnuka
7 posters

Go down

Cycling Question Empty Cycling Question

Post  sandnuka 2010-08-17, 04:18

Ok, I got a good question... need to know if anyone has done this.... I have a tank that is cycled and only has water, HOB, and a heater in it.... Thats it, no substrate, no nothing..... I want to switch to a sponge filter, and dont have any that are already cycled that I can pull away.... So i got a new sponge.... Like I said, the water is perfect right now, Nitrate 10ppm, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia.... but if I change to a new sponge and remove the HOB will i have a spike????? cause there will be no beneficial bacteria in the filter..... or will the already stable water be good enough??

Who has done it, who will gurrantee it, cause I dont want to do it unless I get 100% sure answer... I have my breeding apistos in there!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cycling Question Empty Re: Cycling Question

Post  icer711 2010-08-17, 07:02

your going to need to run the new sponge and HOB together for a bit till the sponge becomes established and then you will be able to remove the hob with out worry
icer711
icer711
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  censeoflife 2010-08-17, 09:20

Totally, anytime you remove your BB completely like that your lookin at cycle conditions.
censeoflife
censeoflife
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-08-17, 09:29

I agree with the above, yea you're gona have to run the sponges with the HOB for awhile until you get some BB in that sponge.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2010-08-17, 10:10

I concur with the others, but would also suggest that you wring out the HOB media onto the sponge filter after getting it wet, then place the media right back into the HOB. This will help jump-start your BB collection in the sponge filter.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2010-08-17, 11:16

I agree with all the above but I'll add that you should run your new sponge and HOB together for at least a month. When removing the HOB you're still gonna be prone to a spike cuz both filters have now leveled out on BB to sustain your stocking. It'll then take the sponge BB a bit to multiply and build up to handle the full load of the tank stocking. Just bump up your w/c using prime, watch your feedings and it should be fine.
Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-08-17, 12:02

I agree with everyone above.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-08-17, 13:20

Thanks for all the quick replies guys.... Im gonna keep the hob and sponge running for awhile.... i also took one of my establish sponges and kinda drained it in the new tank... hope that kicks things in a lil faster.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  icer711 2010-08-18, 00:34

If u can attach it to the intake of the HOB it will help. Speed up the process of gettin the good BB. Going in the sponge and it will be a good pre pre-filter for time being
icer711
icer711
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-08-18, 00:42

icer711 wrote:If u can attach it to the intake of the HOB it will help. Speed up the process of gettin the good BB. Going in the sponge and it will be a good pre pre-filter for time being

agreed.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down