Salzabar
Betty
Fern
Madness
protocl
dondud
14 posters

Go down

How and what abouts of a canister filter Empty How and what abouts of a canister filter

Post  dondud 2010-11-07, 13:32

I was thinking if putting a canister filter in my 55 gal tank for my angelfishes..
what kind is good?
what all do i need to know about the canister filter?
Maintenece for them?

anything about canister information will help.

thanks
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

How and what abouts of a canister filter Empty Re: How and what abouts of a canister filter

Post  protocl 2010-11-07, 13:39

I would recommend Rena XP4, since angels do not enjoy high rate of flow. this unit comes with an adjustable output valve.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

How and what abouts of a canister filter Empty Re: How and what abouts of a canister filter

Post  Madness 2010-11-07, 19:28

Agree w/protocl. Also Fluval 305, it too has an adjustable flow.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-07, 21:03

I like the cascades for how simple they are to clean and setup. They also tend to be cheaper than the other brands just because they don't have all the weird gizmos and gadgets! Just media trays inside now weird confusing things that will break. They also come with a nozzle output or a spray bar so you can 'adjust' flow that way, you would want top use the spray bar with angles.
Keep it in a shallow bin of some sort so you don't have to screw off the hoses every time you clean it, just pop off the top and set it in a bucket, you will lose some water that way and that's why you want to keep it in a bin. But that way you don't wear out the plastic threading.

Canisters are great you can stuff lots of different media into one!
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-11-07, 21:13

Canisters are great you can stuff lots of different media into one!
I agree! And they are quiet, unlike the hang on back power filters. I used to open my cabinets to make sure they were still running.

I have five Rena XPs of various sizes and one Eheim. I really like the Renas best. Very simple to maintain and I never spill a drop. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-11-07, 22:44

With any canister filters, except the fx5 and others like it; repriming can be a pain in the arse, if air is trapped within the intake hose.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2010-11-07, 23:51

I have had magnum 350 canisters since 91' when they came out. I still have 2 of the orignals and one that I bought used from Markster. Yes it has its deficiencies when compared to the newer generations of canisters but all I have ever done to keep them running is change the o-rings. To me that says alot about the quality of marineland products and for that I must advise on anything from Marineland. The Magnum 350 is not produced anymore but the new C-series looks promising.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2010-11-08, 00:51

cascade 1000 low maintenance adjustable flow rate cheep media quite unit and ez prime unlike the most of them out there. i own three canisters a fx5, mag 350 and cascade 1000 and the cascade is my fave to work with and the magnum is a joke it dose a great job just the assembly is retarded.
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-11-08, 02:02

Ive had every canister out there.... Each brand is good for something.... I would say cascade for the price has the best flow, but also has allot of bypass issues and water doesnt get as clean.... fluval keeps water very clean, but the flow is not half as strong.... I think rena xp is a nice in between canister... great flow, and has allot less bypass than cascade... hands down eheim is the greatest, but they are expensive, very expensive. So I am going to [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Rena XP4 for a 55gal.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2010-11-08, 02:54

thanks guys..
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-08, 14:49

I've never had a priming issue with a cascade canister. I practically gave away a fluval 404 because it took forever to get the dumb thing running again
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2010-11-08, 16:14

Fern wrote:I practically gave away a fluval 404 because it took forever to get the dumb thing running again

Really? I used to have that problem but have since learned how to get it properly primed so that startup is pretty automatic. Took a few times though, esp. since I only clean it out every 2 months or so.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-11-08, 19:06

I've got a 404 and have found you need to shake out the air bubbles on startup, then it takes off. Also drips till the air is out.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2010-11-08, 19:57

what about Rena XP2?
would it work for my 55 gal with angels?
Also what about JEBO 829 External Canister Filter?

Last edited by dondud on 2010-11-08, 20:05; edited 1 time in total
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2010-11-08, 20:02

what does priming mean?
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-11-08, 20:14

dondud wrote:what does priming mean?

kick start the suction needed to flow water in and out.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-08, 20:27

larry.beck wrote:
Fern wrote:I practically gave away a fluval 404 because it took forever to get the dumb thing running again

Really? I used to have that problem but have since learned how to get it properly primed so that startup is pretty automatic. Took a few times though, esp. since I only clean it out every 2 months or so.
I have 36 tanks, it pissed me off for several hours trying to get the darn thing running and then it did it again. I don't have the time to fight with finicky filters like that. I will never ever buy another fluval. Cascades have never given me issues like that and are quick and easy to clean and re prime and are pretty decent filters all in all, I have never found fault with them other than the potential wearing out of the plastic threading on the hose valves, I avoid that by not unscrewing them.
They fit my needs; cheaper, simple guts, versatility in the trays, quick to clean, easy to prime, good filtration. Oh ya and they are quiet, but that's not one of my needed features Laughing My fish room has lots of water noise Laughing
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2010-11-08, 20:32

does any of the cascade canister filter have a control vavle to control the water output?
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-11-08, 20:36

dondud wrote:what about Rena XP2?
would it work for my 55 gal with angels?
Also what about JEBO 829 External Canister Filter?

Yeah xp2 would be fine on a 55gal, but I would itleast put another HOB on it..... xp3 would kinda be my min on a 55gal alone.....

Yes cascade has a control valve
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-08, 20:37

No, they do come with an output option, either a directional nozzle or a spray bar both in the box. So the spray bar would distribute the flow nicely and would be fine for your angels. The directional nozzle is more of a point and shoot for the higher flow tanks.
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-08, 20:38

Sandnuka, closing off the valves like that can damage the cascade filters, I've had to repair more than one from someone using the ball valves on the hoses to regulate the flow.
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-11-08, 20:41

my cascade has a lil thing on the canister itself that slows flow... its a 1500
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-09, 10:00

The new 1500's don't.... I just bought 2 new and neither have a flow adjuster.
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2010-11-09, 10:25

hey guys...a question!!
which do you prefer.....
Marineland Magnum 350 OR Jena xp2
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-11-09, 10:38

Personally i'd say xp2, i'm not a fan of the Mag 350..
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-09, 13:59

I haven't used either of them, I found my favorite Razz
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2010-11-10, 21:28

So if i use a Xp2 canister, do i have to aerate my tank?
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-11-10, 21:50

Personally I aerate all my tanks no matter what the filter..
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2010-11-10, 22:17

hm....thanks for the input guys!
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-11-11, 00:25

Depending on the setup, this unit can be configured in several styles; can cause surface agitation, helping gas exchange b
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2010-11-11, 00:29

what do you mean?
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-11-11, 00:36

The output setup on xp's can be configured as a spray bar, jet nozzle, surface level or mid tank level.
As for surface agitation: this helps with aerating the tanks water.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Doza 2010-11-11, 04:06

Salzabar wrote:I have had magnum 350 canisters since 91' when they came out. I still have 2 of the orignals and one that I bought used from Markster. Yes it has its deficiencies when compared to the newer generations of canisters but all I have ever done to keep them running is change the o-rings. To me that says alot about the quality of marineland products and for that I must advise on anything from Marineland. The Magnum 350 is not produced anymore but the new C-series looks promising.

What do you mean they are no longer produced.. Seen them sold everywhere still

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Doza
Doza
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2010-11-11, 04:28

Would sponge filters work with a power head as well? Instead of the traditional air pump route.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Doza 2010-11-11, 04:43

Of course.. it would just give you more flow threw the sponge giving you more mechanical filteration out of the sponge.. Most ppl run the air pumps cause of the savings in electricity.. one less thing your drawing electricity for and i think runing an air pump will benifit the bacteria more as well than running the powerhead...

Do you mean sponge attached to a canister.. Being the thread is about canister filters? Cause you can do that as well.. Could have it as a prefilter for your canister or have it on the outflow as well.. Having a sponge on as like a prefilter would more than likely hurt your flow rate significantly tho depending on the sponge you are using.
Doza
Doza
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2010-11-11, 05:09

I never thought about using one on the actual canister filter itself. It took us a while to discover the sponge filter system so that's why I put a little suggestion on here just in case they were unaware of that option. I have heard that the angels like some flow so that's why I suggested the power head. I prefer the idea of the air pump myself. I have a 30 gallon that's getting set up tomorrow for angels and I will more than likely be putting a sponge filter on, as well as having a bubble wand across the back. Hopefully they will be ok with that. They are currently in a 10 gallon with an HOB. So I'm sure they will be MUCH happier lol. I didn't realize they needed tanks bigger in size as my mom always had angelfish and kept them in a 10 gallon. But their wish is my command lol Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Doza 2010-11-11, 05:18

its an idea... Me myself just like you would just run one off a acrylic tube and a air pump.. and alot of times people house things in allot smaller of tanks than what they really should.. if you can afford it really bigger is always better no matter what the species is..i feal bad whe i see descent sized oscars and its not just one but 2 still sitting in a 55gallon.. Oscars should not be so easily obtained..
Doza
Doza
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2010-11-11, 05:23

Yeah I looked into it further online and found a mating pair of angels should have at minimum of a 20 gallon tank. So we recently aquired a 30 gallon bowfront. Now my two will be going into it hopefully later this week or early next week. Just gotta let it set up. Smile

Hopefully we didn't get too far off topic and were still able to help out dondud some. Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2010-11-11, 09:20

What do you mean they are no longer produced.. Seen them sold everywhere still

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

True, they are for sale from stock that has not sold yet but if you contact Marineland they will tell you that the Mag 350 is not produced anymore replaced by the C-series canister filter. Which also means parts for the Mag 350 are not produced leaving the Mag 350 owners to scramble for parts. Try and find double quick disconnect valves for sale at a LFS. APFP had some in a backroom that they sold me for a ton of money but saved me the hassel of finding them online and have them shipped.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2010-11-11, 13:18

shortykilogyrl : not to worry...it is helping...not off the topic that much..lol..thanks
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-11, 17:27

as long as the water surface is agitated a fair amount you don't need to add air.
The only tanks of mine that have air are from the sponge filters in them, I run a fair amount of sponge filters on my tanks, I have a massive air blower so I can do that Wink
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  Racersk 2010-11-24, 11:39

I like the Cascade, priced right and easy to maintain. As for the bypass comment, there is a super easy way to fix that, tip I found on MFK's. Get a sheet of filter pad and cut 24"x1' strips off the end. Wrap each basket (or just the bottom one, or...) before installing it into the canister, done. No bypass and all incoming water gets filtered, I did this the last time I changed the filter pads and last i checked the bottom pad was green top to bottom.

As for size on a 55 gallon, don't go less than a Cascade 1200, unless you have multiple filters running. I aim my spray bar at the top of the water and I have plenty of aeration. I also have a Hydor IV sponge filter for additional bio (@5PSI air pump pressure) and a Magnum 250 for additional mechanical and water movement. All of these are on a 90 gallon with a medium to heavy bioload with great water parameters and clear water. (0 ammonia, 0Nitrites, 20-40 Nitrates when checked last and I had been feeding heavy).
Racersk
Racersk
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down