endangered cichlids
flo77
Kianna
Spyral
protocl
unconv-reefer
12 posters

Go down

what is your most important piece of Equipment Empty what is your most important piece of Equipment

Post  unconv-reefer 2010-10-27, 10:18

I'm just curious on peoples response to this, for me it's the same as when I ran FW tanks, but I'll save my answer as I want to see what others think
unconv-reefer
unconv-reefer
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

what is your most important piece of Equipment Empty Re: what is your most important piece of Equipment

Post  protocl 2010-10-27, 10:38

Kind of a bias'ed question.
I think, every piece of equipment plays an important role.
But...if patience can ever be considered an equipment, I'd pick that.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

what is your most important piece of Equipment Empty Re: what is your most important piece of Equipment

Post  Spyral 2010-10-27, 10:38

For me? My mind and the ability to research and ask questions. That is, by far, any fish-keepers most valuable piece of equipment.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  unconv-reefer 2010-10-27, 10:43

Okay let's try it this way, something other than mind or yourself, something you bought or made. That helps to keep your fish, corals, etc. alive and striving. Very Happy Razz
unconv-reefer
unconv-reefer
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-10-27, 10:46

Ahh.

Using bio bale, instead of the other bio media. I don't have documented proof, but seem to establish quicker.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2010-10-27, 10:57

Reef master test kit.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2010-10-27, 11:12

50' Python- without it I'd never get all the weekly water changes done.
Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  flo77 2010-10-27, 12:11

Laptop-internet research, buy,sale, trade

flo77

Back to top Go down

Post  endangered cichlids 2010-10-27, 12:34

my most valued equiptment ? my sumps
endangered cichlids
endangered cichlids

http://www.camelotpainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sonnys503 2010-10-27, 12:36

I have a float_tec pump that I got from a trade, I use that thing for when I move tanks around the house. moving a 125g use to take days, I can do that in 1 hour now. I use it to pump water from and to tanks. it also helps me change the water. I do use prime, and ph control but I age my water to room temperature for bigger volume change.
sonnys503
sonnys503
FishBox Member

http://saechaophotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-10-27, 12:41

I would have to say my FX5's.. and figuring out how to do a water change using it.. I can pump out 150 gallons out of my tank in 10-15 minutes now..lol Now re-filling take a bit longer.. Sad
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-10-27, 12:42

sonnys503 wrote:I have a float_tec pump that I got from a trade, I use that thing for when I move tanks around the house. moving a 125g use to take days, I can do that in 1 hour now. I use it to pump water from and to tanks. it also helps me change the water. I do use prime, and ph control but I age my water to room temperature for bigger volume change.

how do you age water by room temp; especially at that amount?
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-10-27, 12:43

Oh yea and i almost forgot "GENERATOR" !!!!! It's came in handy a few times over the past couple years.. I live in an area where the power goes out several times a year. Sad
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2010-10-27, 12:47

copepod propagation tank..it keeps my beautiful Mandarin happy and well fed!
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  unconv-reefer 2010-10-27, 12:53

Okay I finally found someone thinking the way I do, Razz All my equipment is important for different reasons but I have to say for me it is a Generator. I personally have two large ones, the fish are always hooked up before the house
unconv-reefer
unconv-reefer
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-10-27, 13:04

I also have a couple Azoo Back up Battery powered air pumps hooked to Sponge Filters in my 300 also.. That way if i'm not home when the power goes out they automatically come on and provide air for up to 10 hours.. Then when power comes back they charge themselves back up.. Glad i bought them.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sonnys503 2010-10-27, 13:09

sorry I wasn't clear on the aged water. I have several 45gallon barrels that I use. fill, prime, ph and pump water from it as needed. sorry not really aged water, nor is it considered cycled water. I used to change water straight from the tap, add prime/conditioner, and PH, 20% or less is cool, but if I did larger volume, I loss 1 fish ever water change.
So now I use the Barrels for changing my tanks, seems to work for me, yes its a PITA. but them fish aren't cheap. I've killed a colony or caribes due to high chlorine, so I'm not risking anymore...
the barrels are stored right next to my water heater down in my basement, so it works out for me. hidden away.
sonnys503
sonnys503
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-10-27, 13:10

Well...it's not a bullet proof plan.

City of seatac is on the same grid as the seatac airport.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  unconv-reefer 2010-10-27, 13:10

Very good idea, thankfully my reef can go 24hrs w/out anything on if it had too. Since I'm moving in a year I haven't set up an automated Generator system, that will be one of the first things set up on the new place.
unconv-reefer
unconv-reefer
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sonnys503 2010-10-27, 13:11

hbluehunter, I know what you mean by the Generator. I've suggested to my buddy who has over 50K worth of fish, but no he's taking the risk. I was up in Seattle one year when the power was out for a week, Eerie times, my inlaws had to eat McDonalds every morning for that period of time. I $%^& my pants if i loss power for 3 days, good bye fishies....
sonnys503
sonnys503
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-10-27, 13:18

Yep, that year when my power was out for like 3 or 4 days.. I lost "4" arowana's, peacock bass, and several other fish.. It was a very bad week for me.. Sad
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  unconv-reefer 2010-10-27, 13:28

That's tough, that year for me, I only had one generator, so the fish were fine, the fridge good, TV worked, the kids froze if they left the living room. They know the fish come before them Razz
unconv-reefer
unconv-reefer
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-10-27, 13:30

Was this during the snow storm?
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  unconv-reefer 2010-10-27, 13:32

It was right around Xmas, but we lose power at least once a year during the winter months
unconv-reefer
unconv-reefer
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-10-27, 13:32

Yea, we had some crazy amount.. We usually don't get that much in everett but that year we did.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-10-27, 14:22

Power going out is my fear. I have a generator, but my tanks are in 3 locations & my wife says the furnace & fridge get priority. I can pull the battery from my car and use an inverter on the tank heater for a short period of time though, but have to be here to hook it all up. Even thought about a candle under the tank in the cabinet to keep it warm.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-10-27, 14:27

2008 was the year I relocated to Wa.
Man, that was a freakish winter!!

protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-10-27, 14:41

Never really thought about issues like this. This is where a bowfin tank would come in handy they would love that coldwater lol.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2010-10-27, 16:32

tanks are pretty important.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-10-27, 18:26

Yeah, I had the gardian generator installed two years ago this month. Been a life saver for my reef and fish a few times. It kicks the entire house on 20 seconds after the power goes out.
Other than that the entire filtration system is the most important equipment. And equipment that creates flow in the DT. My return pump was out for a couple days and my DT did without circulation to & from the sump for all that time. The power heads in the DT creating flow kept the "in tank" filtration going on its own. No ill effects on fish or coral.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Billiethekid 2010-10-27, 19:48

i dont have a generator sadly... but i do have a Emergency Power pack tht is also a surge bar(BOX) so atleast i cna keep heaters goin with extension cords...
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/andrew.arcand

Back to top Go down

Post  endangered cichlids 2010-10-27, 20:41

yes the generator is very important.. i have my gen hooked up to my house with a genset emergency box .. power out -box kicks generator on within 60 seconds and the whole house is powered .. there sweet ... and if you know anything you can do it yourself . a 6500k gen and the box all bought at the agro store .. costs about $700
endangered cichlids
endangered cichlids

http://www.camelotpainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down